How would you rank David Lynch's films?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Re: How would you rank David Lynch's films?

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

1) Blue Velvet
2) Mulholland Drive
3) Lost Highway
4) Eraserhead
5) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
6) Wild At Heart
7) The Elephant Man
8 ) The Straight Story
9) INLAND EMPIRE
10) Dune
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Twin Peaks FWWM is top, no question.

Then the next three are tricky, almost equal:
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
INLAND EMPIRE

Blue Velvet is just a tiny smidge behind them.

Then:
Wild At Heart
Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Eraserhead
Dune
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

1 Twin Peaks FWWM
2 Wild at Heart
3 Eraserhead
4 Mullholland drive
5 Blue velvet
6 INLAND EMPIRE
7The Straight Story
8 Lost highway
9 Elephant Man
10 Dune
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

1. Blue Velvet
2. FWWM
3. Eraserhead
4. Wild At Heart
5. The Elephant Man
6. Mulholland Drive
7. Lost Highway
8. The Straight Story
9. Dune

I have not seen Inland Empire.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Jerry Horne wrote:I have not seen Inland Empire.
You should rectify post-haste. I was blown away but have yet to view it a second time.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I plan too I suppose. What can I say? Should I say it? I think maybe Lynch is stuck in a little bit of a rut? Will his next movie be about a woman in trouble? How about confused identities? What the hell do I know though? I'm happy watching 'On The Air' over and over again.

I'll see it. I trust you. I enjoy the reviews on your blog by the way.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jerry. I know what you mean about the degree of repetition in LH, MD, IE. I think that's what hindered my appreciation of MD initially: that feeling of, "Um, haven't we been here before?" Now, though, LH is being superseded for me by the other two (or at least by MD; I need to rewatch IE at least once, to be fair). I look forward to hearing what you think when you see it.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

There is nothing wrong with shooting and cutting your films in the same way (Nic Roeg comes to mind) however, yes, when you're recycling some of the same themes over and over, well, one wonders. Repetition or not, It has not stopped me from enjoying MD or the first 45 minutes of LH. We hold the people we love up too some pretty lofty levels I guess.

We expect so much from Lynch because we know how brilliant he is.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Jerry Horne wrote: I have not seen Inland Empire.
Jerry, I'm truly shocked!! Care to share why?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

I can see where Jerry's coming from. LH, MD, IE & part of Hotel are all about confused identities. In a way they are all variations on the same theme so I can see how someone could get a bit tired of that after 10 years of it. For me, it doesn't bother me as there is always so many other things happening but I must confess that I hope his next movie moves away from that subject.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

cubist wrote:I can see where Jerry's coming from. LH, MD, IE & part of Hotel are all about confused identities. In a way they are all variations on the same theme so I can see how someone could get a bit tired of that after 10 years of it. For me, it doesn't bother me as there is always so many other things happening but I must confess that I hope his next movie moves away from that subject.
That really sums it for me. Great films, but very familiar territory by now. I have to face the facts that if his next film is in the same vain, I may delay seeing it all together. C'mon Lynch! Mix things up a bit!
thewoodstove

Post by thewoodstove »

1. Mulholland Drive--so lush, electric, I could watch it over and over again.
2. Blue Velvet
3. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
4. Eraserhead
5. INLAND EMPIRE
6. Elephant Man
7. The Straight Story
8. Lost Highway
9. Wild at Heart--I'm not sure why this one's so low on my list. I suppose of all of Lynch's films, this one resonated least with me.
10. Dune
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

Jerry Horne wrote:Repetition or not, It has not stopped me from enjoying the first 45 minutes of LH.
What's before LH to say that is repetitive?
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

When you think about it everyone does this to a certain degree. All most every director i can think of seems to make the same kind of movie over and over again and to continue to be good they must create value in a form that wasn't in the previous films or they have to break out of the origin inspiration and find more in the world to express them selves about. David Lynch has done a decent job at this his best attempts were On the Air and The Straight Story but he has not been able to fully separate himself from certain ideas and is doomed to repeat himself until he see's something else in the world. The director i have seen do the best job at this was Stanley Kubrick when he broke out of his own mind he created movies that changed the concept of what movies were with Dr. Strangelove 2001 and A Clockwork Orange but unfortunately the reaction to the violence in A Clockwork Orange seemed to make him more cautious and his future films seemed to be a step back. Barry Lyndon a step down from Napoleon, Full Metal jacket was a return to Fear and Desire and Paths of Glory, Eyes Wide shut was thematically a bit like Lolita. AI was like 2001 and Aryan Papers he no longer had the confidence to create and said that the ability to portray the holocaust was beyond the capacity of cinema and The Shining was influenced by Eraserhead which it seems as though he was jealous of how it pushed the boundaries of film even more so than 2001. I think the commercial and critical failure of Dune and then later On the Air, Twin Peaks season two and Fire Walk With Me made him try to return to the highest point in his career Blue Velvet. His way of making films somewhat subconsciously probably makes it difficult to go to new grounds considering there are things in a persons subconscious that they most likely will never fully become free from. Maybe im putting to much into nothing a habit i tend to have but hopefully I at least got my point across and my poor writing skills did not destroy the meaning. Because of this I will always think of Eraserhead as his best film even though my opinion of his other films shifts.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

What you say sounds interesting but some of it i can't understand because of the lack of punctuation. Sorry.

Many directors do work on the same types of themes that's for sure. It's just that Mr Lynch's current themes are very specific. Problems of identity. and....er.....that's it!