David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cubist
Roadhouse Member

Re: Pre-Order the New David Lynch DVD Box - the Lime Green Set

Post by cubist »

I'm intrigued as to what the Elephant Man Extras DVD will be. Unless I'm misunderstanding the contents list of the Lime Green set, it appears to an entirely separate disc to ther actual film and i don't know of any 2 disc edition that is currently available...
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Sometimes you wonder how the minds of those in the business work.

This is a set likely to appeal only to David Lynch fans. These fans will almost certainly have the bulk of the material in this set. Therefore, you would have to be a really, really committed fan to double (or triple) dip to get the exclusives.

Even then, some of these committed fans will probably feel a little hesitant because they'll already have paid a premium for some of these items that were previously lynch.com exclusives and then seen them go on general sale some time later.

So all the time your potential buyer base is shrinking significantly.

However, bundle all the cool, new stuff together and EVERYONE who's fairly interested in Lynch's work will give serious consideration to picking it up.

But the most likely scenario is that this doesn't sell terribly well and the producers turn round and say there's no demand and the rest of the stuff in his archives stays there. I bet you the 'cool' stuff is torrented within days.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

douglasb wrote:Sometimes you wonder how the minds of those in the business work.

This is a set likely to appeal only to David Lynch fans. These fans will almost certainly have the bulk of the material in this set. Therefore, you would have to be a really, really committed fan to double (or triple) dip to get the exclusives.

Even then, some of these committed fans will probably feel a little hesitant because they'll already have paid a premium for some of these items that were previously lynch.com exclusives and then seen them go on general sale some time later.

So all the time your potential buyer base is shrinking significantly.

However, bundle all the cool, new stuff together and EVERYONE who's fairly interested in Lynch's work will give serious consideration to picking it up.

But the most likely scenario is that this doesn't sell terribly well and the producers turn round and say there's no demand and the rest of the stuff in his archives stays there. I bet you the 'cool' stuff is torrented within days.
Great post and very true IMHO. The Lime Green Box seems to me to be neither one thing or another - and it also doesn't know what it's potential audience is. It seems to be an attempt to box together his early work (unsurprisingly he's written off Dune)...except we find Rabbits & Dumbland included. The only possible reason for including those two items must surely be to encourage those of us who have already bought everything else to buy it all again. Conceptually it makes no sense to include them. This is why I was venting so much about this earlier this week (my posts were removed for some reason). If the mystery disc does turn up on torrents within weeks -welll Mr Lynch has only himself to blame. THis is a very expensive lil'sucker whichever way you look at it - at least for non US residents.

I would have thought that he could have made a good wedge of cash simply by releasing a Wild At Heart deluxe edition with the out-takes & a disc of rarities - Rabbits, 16mm films and Industrial symphony. That makes conceptual sense to me - rarities from the early days, the middle period and the 21st century.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this cubist and douglasb. The set has it's full advantage to someone new to lynch who has none of his work, but at that price I wonder if they will buy it anyway. If I was them I would buy the less expensive copies of the more well known works first. For someone like me, an old fan (and I'm getting up there), I am getting more an more discouraged sadly.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I think the ideal buyer of this set is me and other major fans who have seen everything in theatres, video-cassettes and borrowed DVDs.

We make up about seventeen people worldwide.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
katherine_b

Post by katherine_b »

cubist wrote:I would have thought that he could have made a good wedge of cash simply by releasing a Wild At Heart deluxe edition with the out-takes & a disc of rarities - Rabbits, 16mm films and Industrial symphony. That makes conceptual sense to me - rarities from the early days, the middle period and the 21st century.
Didn't someone on this board (or maybe it was another board) say that Lynch doesn't have the rights to release Wild at Heart or Industrial symphony on their own? Anyway, I'm going to pick it up as an X-Mas present to myself. The Wild at Heart deleted scenes sealed the deal for me.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

If the deleted scenes from FWWM are ever released, I suppose it is quite possible that we will have to buy them along side the complete Twin Peaks series and FWWM, in another box set, priced accordingly?
Si

Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

Evenreven wrote:I think the ideal buyer of this set is me and other major fans who have seen everything in theatres, video-cassettes and borrowed DVDs.

We make up about seventeen people worldwide.
Please include me in that list.I own most of his other work,but not the content of the set except for The Elephant Man and an older Eraserhead soundtrack.The odd thing is that i purchased the UK special edition of Elephant Man after the announcement of The Lime Green Set,because i would like to check if the extras are of any value.
Snikgrif,if this is the case would you mind paying 120$ for the deleted scenes of FWWM?I wouldn't (Although i would prefer if they were included in a Blu-Ray boxset).
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Pete Martell wrote:Snikgrif,if this is the case would you mind paying 120$ for the deleted scenes of FWWM?I wouldn't (Although i would prefer if they were included in a Blu-Ray boxset).
Well I don't know, I would if I sell all my other copies of Twin Peaks, I fell for buying season two part one from Germany, and then season 2 complete from the U.S., before the Gold Box came out, and then bought that as well. The thing is I doubt I would get much monetary value back on the sales, so it would depend on my other overheads in life.

I just had another thought, the next set might contain all the other films as well, i.e Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire, etc., with the deleted FWWM scenes as a hook, that would send the purchase price through the roof, aargh! That would mean selling a hell of a lot more of my collection at a loss. I have two copies each of MD and LH from different releases. I have wanted these deleted scenes for a long time, so I am in an anxious state of tension concerning your question :D I guess I'll see how the money is at the time.
Si

katherine_b

Post by katherine_b »

I'd pay $120 easy for deleted scenes to FWWM. I could only dream of a FWWM box set with a complete soundtrack including Deer Meadow Shuffle. That would be bliss. Sad but so very true.

Absurda if you are reading this, here's your chance! Hah!

:lol:
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Just a thought about the region coding - all of the dl.com DVDs (Eraserhead and Short Films certainly, not sure about Dumbland or Dynamic) are NTSC region 0, meaning they can be played on all NTSC compatible tellys. Would it be too hasty to suggest this box-set will be similarly region free?
bobkind3

Post by bobkind3 »

Hadn't read this thread for a while but had a thought that I see Si beat me to. The Lime Green Set must be the "collected works" vol 1. FWWM, Lost Highway, The Straight Story and MD must form a second volume with the FWWM deleted scenes. If the WAH deleted scenes have been found and Lynch has agreed to their release (e.g. they have been mastered to a standard he is happy with) then surely the FWWM deleted scenes are not too far off. Possibly The Scarlet-Red set? Strawberry Blonde Set?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I've moved all posts on pricing and availability on the Lime Green Box Set here:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1077
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Great interview with Lynch on the Lime Green Box Set plus a preview of a Deleted Scenes from WAH:

http://blogs.wnyc.org/culture/2008/11/1 ... green-set/
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Post by DigitalGhost »

I love that deleted scene. Diane Ladd's fantastic.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"