David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

zoothorn21

Re: David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Post by zoothorn21 »

Hi John,

I suspected that it was drawn from elements of the film. I really like the big, hard drum sound - its brutal, really bludgeoning! I've never owned the soundtrack, so it was great to be able to crank it and hear all those things buried in the mix, clocks, voices etc. I'd never realised how much it is truly the 'soundtrack', that is, the sound as well as the score. I always knew exactly where I was in the film, even though I couldn't see it (though I have seen the film a fair few times, of course!).

Have you worked with David on any other musical projects?
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

On the Eraserhead DVD in the "Stories" bonus feature I've noticed a greenish tint (some might say lime green tint, in fact) passing over the screen from time to time. It always has this tint no matter what TV I watch it on. Luckily the film itself is not affected by this and my enjoyment of the "Stories" bonus feature was not diminished, but I just wanted to know if this problem has happened to anyone else either on the stand alone Eraserhead DVD or the version in the Lime Green Set. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
OilyHubertVentTree

Post by OilyHubertVentTree »

Hey yvanehtnioj1214 are you sure its not just your TV doing the green tint thing? Mine used to do that too, it was just more noticable on black & white stuff. What was causing it was my speakers, must be muh muh muh magnets. I just had to move them further away. Maybe it's not that though for you.

...WOW, all I've watched of the Lime Green Set so far has been all thee Cavelcade stuff. The 16mm Experements thing blew me away, it was like a massive Penderecki music viddy by Lynch. My previous concerns about the price of the set left my mind completely about a minute into that. And watching that Hollyshorts thing is like injecting a spurt of inspiration right into your brain. 10 Golden Limey Stars for this Set.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

Thanks for the tip Oily. I'll try that.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Well, let's see, zoothorn21...

There was a little project called 'BlueBOB'
There was the temp music for 'The Straight Story', with one cut, the scene with Alvin and Verlyn at the bar reminiscing about WWII remaining in the movie
There was the score from 'The Straight Story'
There was a movie called 'Mulholland Drive'
There was a movie called 'Inland Empire', which contained a cut called , 'Polish Poem'
There was a thing called the theme from 'Rabbits'
There was a thing called most of the music on DL.com
There was a thing called "Llorando" from MD
There was a thing called "No Stars" from Rebekah Del Rio
There was a three-song set from a singer called 'Chrysta Bell'
There was a thing called the "Jitterbug" from 'Mulholland Drive'
There was a CD called 'Lux Vivens' from Dave and Jocelyn Montgomery
There was the theme from the 2002 Cannes Film Festival called "Cannes Memory".
There's a lot of unreleased material.....

And there's my current band, 'Nightsage', which plays material from Lynch films and BlueBOB, as well as a lot of original material.
Check out nightsage.com and myspace.com/nightsageproductions and search YouTube for Nightsage videos, including some from this year's Twin peaks Festival.

Thanks for your interest.

Happy New Year!
zoothorn21

Post by zoothorn21 »

Wow - so just a little then!

Cheers for the info - that's a hell of a good job you've got right there.
Orchitis

Post by Orchitis »

Am I the only one who has a problem with the way the WAH deleted scenes look? And I don't mean the quality of the actual footage. It's the digital transfer that looks awful. All the jagged edges are driving me crazy! Does this problem exist on everyone else's disc? I can't imagine I got a defective copy, as everything else on it looks fine. And I've tried it in multiple players on multiple screens, so I know it has to be the disc.
knowthyself

Post by knowthyself »

Predictions for the next set

The Orange Orange Set ;)

Disc 1:Fire Walk with Me
Disc 2:FWWM deleted scenes
Disc 3: The Straight Story
Disc 4. Lost Highway
Disc 5: Lost Highway features disc
Disc 6: Mulholland Dr.
Disc 7: Inland Empire
Disc 8: IE Features disc
Disc 9. IE Soundtrack
Disc 10: Mystery Disc
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

knowthyself wrote:Predictions for the next set

The Orange Orange Set ;)

Disc 1:Fire Walk with Me
Disc 2:FWWM deleted scenes
Disc 3: The Straight Story
Disc 4. Lost Highway
Disc 5: Lost Highway features disc
Disc 6: Mulholland Dr.
Disc 7: Inland Empire
Disc 8: IE Features disc
Disc 9. IE Soundtrack
Disc 10: Mystery Disc
Well I don't care about the color or the name of the next set but as long as it would include the stuff that you came up with I'd definetly buy it. I know it might sound totally crazy but even though I already own all of the films and the IE soundtrack I still would purchase this set mainly because of the FWWM extras and the Lost highway bonus footage.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

I imagine that his next set will certainly include Hotel & On The Air - which would take up 3 DVDs. I imagine that the next set will go up to & include The Straight Story. LIke::

1 FWWM
2 FWWM deleted scenes
3 Hotel Room
4 On The Air 1
5 On The Air 2
6 LOst Highway
7 Straight Story
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

It seems that Industrial Symhony 16:9 got LPCM sound but 4:3 got ac3 audio. Anyone can confirm that?
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

What does LPCM and ac3 mean? I've never heard of either of those terms.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

cubist wrote:What does LPCM and ac3 mean? I've never heard of either of those terms.
LPCM is uncompressed sound format (big file, but loseless). AC3 is compressed file format (smaller file, but not loseless). In short: LPCM is better than AC3.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Thanks! So the letter box format has the best sound then...worth knowing as i probably wouldn't have even thought to check that one out. I just went straight to the 4:3 one as that was the ratio of the original video release.
gojikranz

Post by gojikranz »

hey just registered i was reading the lime green responses and couldnt help but join in. been a fan for maybe 5 years now since seeing eraserhead in highschool.

ya the lime green set was really expensive but it is just really cool to get everything of his in a cohesive package compared to the scattershot releases from various companies. not to mention all the new stuff (not just the bonus disc and IS, but the new elephant man materiel, and blue velvet sound) then luckily for me i had never purchased eraserhead soundtrack or dumbland. still it is very expensive and i understand why many would pass on it.

as for the next set (fire-engine red?) i think it should go something like this
1: FWWM
2: lost highway
3: new lost highway bonus disc
4. straight story
5: mullholland drive
6: new MD and SS bonus materials
7: IE
8: IE bonus disc
9: either hotel or on the air or maybe a bit of both to conserve space for the mystery disc...
10: mystery disc with FWWM deleted scenes, and either hotel or on the air depending on which one gets its own disc before, other goodies.
and another photo book of course.

because the dvds have been so lacking in features (except of course IE) i have not bought any of these films (except IE) so this is the set I am really looking forward to please release soon!