David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Re: New David Lynch DVD Box - the Lime Green Set

Post by jlyon1515 »

DigitalGhost wrote:Apart from Industrial Symphony No. 1, the Mystery disc and the Elephant Man special features (which are available as part of the new UK special edition) I have everything in that set many times over.
I don't think the new UK special edition's special features are unique to that region. After looking at the special features for the UK release, I realized that I'd already seen all that stuff on the US DVD version! The whole story of the real elephant man, making the mask from the original mold, it's all on the US release. Maybe the redid the features, but to me, from the description, the US release is just as good as this upcoming UK one.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Is the Mystery Disc Lynch's main selling point?

It's going to leak out at some point before release or on the day of release what is on the disc and fans will make up their minds on the purchase at that point. I feel bad for the longtime Lynch fans who have most of this stuff already. Just seems like a rehash.

Try something new, Lynch! *cough* TP *cough*
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Bown

Post by Bown »

Seeing how I only have the old terrible Elephant Man DVD and Wild At Heart from that collection, I think I'll be shelling out the money.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

The way I see it is this: I've come to accept (well, more or less, anyway) that my expectations are always a little too high, so I try not to build things up so much. I've read a few posts griping about the double-dip factor and I view that as just another inevitable part of life, like death and taxes (to use that hackneyed expression). I've double-dipped on items much less artistic than David Lynch's stuff and even triple-dipped a few times. But it's stuff I enjoy and adds to my collection. And that's on non-Lynch stuff. So with Lynch, there has been a lot of money shelled out over the years, but I am very happy with my collection. I love Lynch's body of work, as I suspect most of you do who visit and post on this board regularly, so I don't really mind the new box set and what it contains.I'm looking forward to it and am very excited!
Yes, it's expensive, but for me that just means that some other things will have to go on the back burner for a while. If THEY put out a dvd of David washing his socks, I'd probably buy that too! That's the kind of sucker I am. David fascinates me and I always eagerly await the next item to come on the market.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Wow....$180 frickin' dollars. Seriously, that's insane. Especially with the economy the way it is right now. Who has that kind of money at the moment? Sure, I've been wanting Industrial Symphony, but I don't think anyone wants it THAT bad.

The only way I can see there being any justification on this venture is if the "Mystery Disc" is the long awaited deleted scenes from Fire Walk With Me. I know if he were to license them himself for use on this set it would cost him a pretty penny, and only then could I see a reason for this insane price for a set of things most Lynch fans own already, with the exception of IS and some extras. But I highly doubt that's what is on it...I don't think Lynch realizes that is something the fans WOULD shell out serious cash for. And not a whole lot else.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Hmmm...Yeah it's a shame that the set is not either all new stuff, or a compelte collection of David's work up to T.P/WAH. For the casual fan this is a bit of a goldmine though, many people probably aren't even aware of "Dumbland" for instance. I am missing a few of the things here, and will probably end up buying it, but with reservations.
So i guess what we would want, would be a follow up to this box looking something like this.

Disc 1 - "Fire Walk With Me"

Disc 2 - "Fire Walk With Me" docu and deleted scenes.

Disc 3 - "On The Air" eps 1-4

Disc 4 - "On The Air" eps 5-7 + extras.

Disc 5 - "Hotel Room"

Disc 6 - "Mulholland Drive"

Disc 7 - "Mulholland Drive" extended pilot + extras.

Disc 8 - "INLANDEMPIRE"

Disc 9- "INLANDEMPIRE" extras.

Disc 10 - "LYNCH1" and "LYNCH3"
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

eyeboogers wrote:Hmmm...Yeah it's a shame that the set is not either all new stuff, or a compelte collection of David's work up to T.P/WAH. For the casual fan this is a bit of a goldmine though, many people probably aren't even aware of "Dumbland" for instance. I am missing a few of the things here, and will probably end up buying it, but with reservations.
So i guess what we would want, would be a follow up to this box looking something like this.

Disc 5 - "Hotel Room"

Disc 8 - "INLANDEMPIRE"

I think that ideally - we want everthing available separately. Then he can do what he likes with his box sets. He would never release the pilot of mulholland i wouldn't have thought, but it would be great to see.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I think box things are a beautiful thing, but they do have to be complete. Which is ofcourse difficult when so many different studios are involved (though it's probably on purpose that "Dune" is not included in this set.), for instance I'm very happy about the complete Coen brothers boxset(up until "No Country for old men") that came out recently. If Lynch had one or two fancy boxes that contained pretty much all his work, my shelf and I would be very happy.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

eyeboogers wrote:I think box things are a beautiful thing, but they do have to be complete. Which is ofcourse difficult when so many different studios are involved (though it's probably on purpose that "Dune" is not included in this set.), for instance I'm very happy about the complete Coen brothers boxset(up until "No Country for old men") that came out recently. If Lynch had one or two fancy boxes that contained pretty much all his work, my shelf and I would be very happy.
They absolutely are a beautiful thing I agree - but they are hard on fans! There should be some facility, maybe mail order only, whereby fans can obtain dvds that are normally exclusive to box sets. Then we'd all be happy - but this would never happen I guess because less people would buy the box sets! These dvds of Lynch's have been upgraded so many times now! If I bought this set - it would be about the FOURTH time that i've purchased Wild At Heart & Blue Velvet. If he does go on to release an edition like you described above then I guess it all starts to make sense. But the inclusion of Dumbland doesn't make any sense if that is the plan. Regarding Elephant man - the extras disc seems to be a separate DVD. The extras currently available on the new UK release and others are not on a separate disc- so maybe there is some new content exclusive to this box ...not that i'll be buying it as the high retail price + shipping to UK would make it absurdly expensive.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

One selling point for the Lime green box for non US residents, would be that the region 1 "Wild At heart" and "Blue Velvet" editions are far superior to the region 2 discs. I sadly already own both.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

eyeboogers wrote:Hmmm...Yeah it's a shame that the set is not either all new stuff, or a compelte collection of David's work up to T.P/WAH. For the casual fan this is a bit of a goldmine though, many people probably aren't even aware of "Dumbland" for instance. I am missing a few of the things here, and will probably end up buying it, but with reservations.

Disc 5 - "Hotel Room"

Disc 8 - "INLANDEMPIRE"

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning - wonder what color the next set will be?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

dugpa wrote:BOX SET INCLUDES:

ERASERHEAD ' REMASTERED VERSION

Do you know if this is the same version as seen on the Eraserhead 2000 DVD, or has Lynch, like Blue Velvet, remastered it once again?
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

dugpa wrote:
BOX SET INCLUDES:

ERASERHEAD ' REMASTERED VERSION

Do you know if this is the same version as seen on the Eraserhead 2000 DVD, or has Lynch, like Blue Velvet, remastered it once again?

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Since Lynch was intimately involved in mastering the version of Eraserhead that he released in Feb. 2003, including a frame by frame digital cleanup, what is it that needs remastering??????

My old complaint about the Feb. 2003 DVD was that Lynch had to compress it too severely to make room for a DVD extra which he should have expanded and included by itself on a 2nd DVD disc. Oh well, there's certainly truth in the old adage, "if you want something done, you've got to do it yourself". Even if you have to do it twice for the obligatory double dip.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Isn't it funny, though, that if the mystery disc included the FWWM deleted scenes, all of a sudden none of us would complain about the street price anymore and we would all shell out the cash?? But it seems highly unlikely that that will happen. But now, THAT would be worth $180. In lieu of that, I expect IS#1 to be available on Netflix, so I will just rent it.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

underthefan wrote:Isn't it funny, though, that if the mystery disc included the FWWM deleted scenes, all of a sudden none of us would complain about the street price anymore and we would all shell out the cash?? But it seems highly unlikely that that will happen. But now, THAT would be worth $180. In lieu of that, I expect IS#1 to be available on Netflix, so I will just rent it.
Although I probably will be buying the set because I don't have everything of David Lynch, I have a hard time believing anything worthwhile (FWWM deleted scenes) are going to be on that Mystery disc. It will probably be 45 minutes of Lynch cooking dinner and smoking cigarettes.