David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Re: David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Post by Christian1989 »

dugpa wrote:Only English on the new discs and the same as the previous releases for the studio discs.

-B
Okay, I should have been more specific: What audio channels does the different discs have? (Mono 1.0., Dolby Digital Surround 2.0., DD 5.1, DTS Surround...).
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

The Mystery disc is mixed. The Deleted Scenes are in Dolby 5.1 the rest is in 2.0 Dolby Stereo.

Industrial Symphony is 2.0 LPCM.

-B
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

With expedited shipping and import duties the Lime Green Set cost a lot of money, but it's worth every penny
I'm happy that you're happy. But I've reached a different conclusion about this set.

Is the mystery disc terrific? Absolutely. Love the deleted scenes and don't care that it's not visually stunning. The material is. I also agree that some of the intros are very interesting and worth multiple viewings.

But I'm Peggy Lee on the remainder of the set ... is that all there is? Exactly who is the intended customer for this set? Lynch fans?

Eraserhead? Got it.

Eraserhead Soundtrack? Already had the MP3. Perhaps the world needs a Eraserhead Dance track but I don't.

Short Films of David Lynch? Got it

The Elephant Man? Got it.

Blue Velvet? Got it.

Wild At Heart? Got it.

Industrial Symphony #1? Have a laserdisc port of this and the quality of the new is not much better and the widescreen just doesn't make any sense.

Dumbland? I think it's well named.

Mystery Disc? Terrific.

So, my take is that Lynch is either counting on:

1. New to Lynch buyers who will take the chance on an expensive SD DVD set. (Doubtful, particularly with Blu-Ray possibilties)
2. Selling the same stuff to Lynch fans yet again with the tease of something new

The natural question is why isn't more stuff like the mystery disc included and the old been there have that not included? As many have mentioned, why not deal for FWWM: deleted scenes? Why not Hotel Room? Why not On The Air?

The answer I come up with isn't pleasant for the loyal Lynch fan.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Totally agree with you. If there was some way to get the mystery disc alone I'd already have it. This set is way too expensive. I just can't justify it. I also have everything except the MD and a good quality Industrial Symphony. I'm not crazy about the packaging either - i think it looks a bit basic to be honest. This release has pretty much disillusioned me with Mr Lynch. UK fans in particular have been royally ripped off these last couple of years. I wish there was some sort of explanation as to why we never get our own releases any more.

I'll wait for a copy to drift over here, probably via ebay, buy it, copy the mystery disc and sell it on.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

ctyankee wrote:
With expedited shipping and import duties the Lime Green Set cost a lot of money, but it's worth every penny
I'm happy that you're happy. But I've reached a different conclusion about this set.

Is the mystery disc terrific? Absolutely. Love the deleted scenes and don't care that it's not visually stunning. The material is. I also agree that some of the intros are very interesting and worth multiple viewings.

But I'm Peggy Lee on the remainder of the set ... is that all there is? Exactly who is the intended customer for this set? Lynch fans?

Eraserhead? Got it.

Eraserhead Soundtrack? Already had the MP3. Perhaps the world needs a Eraserhead Dance track but I don't.

Short Films of David Lynch? Got it

The Elephant Man? Got it.

Blue Velvet? Got it.

Wild At Heart? Got it.

Industrial Symphony #1? Have a laserdisc port of this and the quality of the new is not much better and the widescreen just doesn't make any sense.

Dumbland? I think it's well named.

Mystery Disc? Terrific.

So, my take is that Lynch is either counting on:

1. New to Lynch buyers who will take the chance on an expensive SD DVD set. (Doubtful, particularly with Blu-Ray possibilties)
2. Selling the same stuff to Lynch fans yet again with the tease of something new

The natural question is why isn't more stuff like the mystery disc included and the old been there have that not included? As many have mentioned, why not deal for FWWM: deleted scenes? Why not Hotel Room? Why not On The Air?

The answer I come up with isn't pleasant for the loyal Lynch fan.
As I see it there are three problems with the Lime Green Set

1) hardcore fans already have everything on DVD except the mystery disc and Industrial Symphony No. 1
2) the contents are too obscure for anybody who considers themself a fan having only seen Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive
3) a US only release means people in other countries have to pay import duties, which can make it prohibitively expensive

Absurda is a small company and will have to pay a licensing fees for Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man, Wild At Heart and possibly Industrial Symphony No. 1. It won't have been cheap to put together and they won't be able to demand discounts like big companies.

I'm assuming The Lime Green Set is the first in a (planned) series, which would explain why (your feature of choice here) is missing. At the end of the day this release needs to be profitable to justify its existence and a box set consisting of deleted scenes, Industrial Symphony No. 1 and On The Air is hardly going to fly of the shelves. Half of the 'fans' who haunt David Lynch messageboards haven't seen Eraserhead and they didn't buy the DVD releases of Dumbland, Dynamic No. 1 or The Short Films. They won't buy The Lime Green Set or any subsequent volumes so it needs to appeal to a wider audience.

I'd consider myself a loyal David Lynch fan, and it's not because I have no friends and a hideous void in my life. I have friends, a busy life and the only reason I consider myself a 'fan' is because I enjoy David Lynch's work enormously. I was one of about ten people who had anything nice to say about Fire Walk With Me when it was released and I loved INLAND EMPIRE. There is a target audience for this set because I'm it.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
dunkrag
Roadhouse Member

Post by dunkrag »

I've ordered this from tower.com for here in the UK - about £75 ($115 in todays money).

I consider myself a devoted Lynch fan (which he can forever thank Blue Velvet for).

I'm looking forward to the mystery disc and Industrial Symphony - I can finally throw away my dusty VHS - (one of the few sell through videos I have left on the shelf).

I actually don't own the 2 disc edition of the Elephant Man so that will be nice to upgrade.
I don't have the Eraserhead Soundtrack and I've never seen Dumbland.
I don't own the Short Films (although I have seen most of them) - the shipping costs for the box edition from lynch.com to the UK have always just put me off - although I did splash for the Eraserhead one as I felt it was slightly more worth it.

I will also enjoy the new mix on the Blue Velvet disc.

But yes - it is expensive and a little baffling as to who the target audience is.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

ctyankee wrote:The answer I come up with isn't pleasant for the loyal Lynch fan
Yes, I have found that the recent marketing of DL's products not very fan friendly to say the least, not to those fans who have limited funds. A lot of us just can't afford to keep paying again for items we have already bought, sometimes several times over, or out of the principle of the matter. As someone said earlier somewhere, this will encourage those, who otherwise wouldn't, to illegally torrent the one or two programs that they need to make up their collection, instead of paying this high price. What's going on? I can't think of any other product that makes fans double, or multiple dip as much as this, although I will probably be told otherwise, it won't make it any better in my mind.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Can someone say if the set's Region 0 or not please? I know all the stores say Region 1, but they said that about Eraserhead and Short Films too, both of which are Region 0. Cheers.
ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

mixomatosis wrote:Can someone say if the set's Region 0 or not please? I know all the stores say Region 1, but they said that about Eraserhead and Short Films too, both of which are Region 0. Cheers.
It depends on the disc. Eraserhead is still Region 0 (i.e. all region play) whereas Blue Velvet is Region 1 and 4 and Industrial Symphony is Region 1. Hope that helps.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

1 and 4? That's weird... should play fine on Region 2 though. Is it just BV and IS1 that are region coded?
ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

mixomatosis wrote:1 and 4? That's weird... should play fine on Region 2 though. Is it just BV and IS1 that are region coded?
No. Wild At Heart is Region 1. Others I didn't check.

To be fair, the Blue Velvet revised audio is pretty terrific. If I were to say why, it's beyond the loudness factor (although that can't be completely discounted) it's more a presence ... much more immersive is how I would put it. But the sound should be more realistically thought of as a 3.1 track versus a 5.1 track. Everything is center, center left and center right along with woofer. Rears are truly minor. For most of the scenes I didn't have a problem with that as most scenes don't call for that. After all, it's not like bullets are whizzing by. Having said that, I did think that the jazz club scenes and a couple others could easily benefit from surround, but it's just not there. Blue Velvet and the film's amazing sound work by Alan Splet have never sounded this good on video.

It doesn't change my opinion about the boxset in general, but it would also not be fair to mention that the audio improvement is far from being a superficial or marginal upgrade.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Deleted post.
Last edited by Christian1989 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctyankee

Post by ctyankee »

Christian1989 wrote:Lynch isn't the only one who is re-releasing his stuff on DVD. A new restoration done by Coppola for The two first Godfather film came out this year, there's some different editions of Halloween, someone here mentioned the Evil Dead series. A great example is Grindhouse. First they released the two films seperately, and then a Japanese edition was released with the theatrical cut which I was more than happy for and the previous dvd-releases of Planet Terror and Death Proof, which "everyone" already had. There was about 30 minutes of new extras, 2.0. stereo sound and the picture looked like it had a scarf in front of it. Believe me, that cost me a lot of money.
With this set Lynch offers quality when it comes to sound and picture. For me never-before-seen extras from The Elephant Man, a new remastered print of Blue Velvet, Industrial Symphony and a interview, as well as the magnificient Mystery Disc is extremely satisfying. Let's not forget the booklet. So what's left? Eraserhead, Eraserhead OST, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart. For some people this can be nothing, or it can be frustrating. It is indeed. If you're not interested in keeping your old releases, why not sell them on Ebay, Amazon marketplace or other stores?

P.S.: I am not trying to start a row with anyone, as this has happened on this forum several times before leading to nothing.
Your point about selling off old versions as a way to reduce the cost issue is quite valid. But core to your argument seems to be 'well others are doing it' logic. I don't see how that makes this box set any better. Also, a bit of apples and oranges as I don't see any other director delivering a bloated boxset of re-released titles. Coppola is not re-releasing The Godfather films, Paramount is. And they gave the consumer the choice of SD or Blu-Ray rather than just milking the SD format yet again. Not so with Lynch. When you have a 10 disc box set release and the number one thing people want/enjoy is the 'mystery disc' each needs to draw his or her own conclusion, not necessarily mine.

And I also hope that anyone that is truly loving this box set continues to love this set. It's what the buyer thinks about it not what anybody else thinks that ultimately matters. So enjoy.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Christian1989 wrote:P.S.: I am not trying to start a row with anyone, as this has happened on this forum several times before leading to nothing.
I don't understand, why do you suggest that you might be seen to be? I don't see a problem. You seem happy with this set and that is good. I really only wanted a good copy of Industrial Symphony No.1, so buying all the other discs is, for me, not so good.

As for selling all my other dvd's that I have collected over the years, no I won't, mainly because I prefer the singular packaging that they came in compared to any omnibus style of container, not to mention the depreciation of their initial cost. So, for me, I will go without a good copy of I S No.1. It would just have been more friendly to have sold these programs separately so that fans could chose what they want for their collection.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, becomes of the deleted scenes from FWWM, as this has been wanted by many fans for a long time. I won't mind if they are bundled together with another release of FWWM, I would expect this. But if, to get them, I will have to buy eight or nine other discs, then again I will be disappointed.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''