New Lynch exhibit: "Femmes d'influence" in Paris

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

New Lynch exhibit: "Femmes d'influence" in Paris

Post by kerplooey »

Lynch has been comissioned by the French department store 'Les Galeries Lafayette' to decorate the windows of its buildings on the boulevard Haussmann.

According to the following site: http://www.metrofrance.com/onhold/femme ... /index.xml the filmmaker is going to design 11 storefronts on the theme "Femmes d'influence" (Women of Influence), along with an exhibition of a selection of his photographs and lithographs on the 1st floor of the Galeries Lafayettes.

Lynch said what got him excited about the project was the idea to set up a street museum on that theme (there are more quotes in the article, but knowing how carefuly the man picks his words, I really hate the idea of translating a quote that's been translated into French back into English. Basically he hopes his installments will give people something to dream about).

There is more about the whole "Femme d'influence" project in that article, referring to other exhibits around specific female figures (such as Madonna or Josephine Baker), but as it is unclear if those will have anything to do with the Lynch part of the project, I'll leave them out of this post.

Many French papers and websites have been relaying the news, but unfortunately so far I have failed to locate anything substantial posted in English.

The one I linked above also posted a picture of a Lynch lithograph exclusive to this event; which I'm going to try to post here:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the whole things will be on display from september 2nd to october 3rd.
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Re: New Lynch exhibit: "Femmes d'influence" in Paris

Post by RStandfest »

Wow, thanks kerplooey!

This could be an interesting project. I'd love to see more images of this project when the opportunity arises.

I'd be very grateful if you discover whether a catalogue of this show will be produced.

Cheers
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow, thanks kerplooey! Be sure and take some pictures and post them here! Or find a good news article you can link us to. I can't imagine how cool it would be to live in Paris...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Wow! The French do love David Lynch, don't they!!
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

I'll be there !

Bye bye from Paris !
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Finally, I won't be there :-(
The vernissage of the exhibition is tonight, on the 8th of september, at the "Galeries Lafayettes", one of the biggest shop of Paris.
So, as a journalist and as Dugpa "correspondent", I asked to the "Galeries Lafayettes" an invitation for that vernissage one month ago in order to make my traditionnal report here... but finally, today I received an email... "no invitation" for the fans"... :-(
Woow ! That is Paris "art de vivre" my friends... You have to know that.

So well, I will go to the exhibition in a few days.
Actually, there are two events, til the 3rd of october :
- an exhibition called " I see myself",
- another called "Machines, Abstraction and Women"

If you want to receive the press book or some pictures, you can write to the press office of the Galeries Lafayettes, at this address : ejanssen@galerieslafayette.com
If you want to support me, you can also complain about her behaviour concerning me and those who just want to inform the Dugpa's community !!!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oh, that is just not fair, Herve'!!! But when you do get there, please post for us. As long as you're offering to be the dugpa correspondent, could you hop on over to London to attend the UK conference in October?? (Maybe we could work on an invitation.)
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

David Lynch exhibition Machines - Abstraction - Women -

From Tuesday September 8 2009 to Saturday October 3 2009

Foundations of femininity.

Lynch was given carte blanche to revamp 11 showcase windows of the Galeries Lafayette Hausmann; otherwise he will be displaying works at the Galerie des Galeries on the first floor (featuring lithographies films and photographs).

In keeping with the "Influential Women" theme Lynch has decided to work with three iconic figures in our cultural history: Joséphine Baker Madonna and Audrey Hepburn. Respectively the three muses evoke insolence exuberance and aesthetics.

Opening Hours / Rates
From Tuesday 8 September to Saturday 3 October 2009 :
- Monday Tuesday Wednesday Friday and Saturday from 11:00 to 19:00
- Thursday from 11:00 to 21:00

Admission prices :
- Free

Address
Galerie des Galeries
40 boulevard Hausmann
75009 PARIS
01 42 82 81 98
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

I didn't visit the exhibition yet, but you can read some bloggers reviews here (with pictures !)

http://blogs.lexpress.fr/cafe-mode/2009 ... leries.php
http://noesland.blogspot.com/2009/09/da ... yself.html

At the end of November 2009, on the occasion of the International Day for the elimination of violence
towards women, the works by David Lynch will be sold at auction by Christie's, to benefit the actions of the
PPR Corporate Foundation for Women's Dignity and Rights (foundation whose president is François Henri Pinault, Salma Hayek's husband).
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

I e-mailed the Galerie des Galeries in France regarding a pressbook. Here is the reply:

Dear sir,

We thank you for the interest you are showing in David Lynch's work at the Galeries Lafayette.
Unfortunately, there will not be any book published especially for this project. Nevertheless, at the end of November, during the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the all 11 works designed by David Lynch for the shop windows will be sold at auction by Christie's, benefiting the corporate foundation PPR, for women's right and dignity. A Christie's publication will then be available.

Kind Regards,

The Galerie des Galeries team

01 42 82 81 98
Galerie des Galeries
1er étage des Galeries Lafayette
40 Bd Haussmann 75009 Paris

Exposition en cours :
David Lynch, "I see myself"
Du 8 septembre au 3 octobre 2009

Exposition à venir:
Antidote 5
Du 20 octobre 2009 au 9 janvier 2010
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Nice reply, moviemaker; that's really cool of Dave!
And Herve', I love the pics with the link you sent, especially this one!
Attachments
davidlynch_galerieslafayette2-thumb-600x401.jpg
davidlynch_galerieslafayette2-thumb-600x401.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 19205 times
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Very very nice exhibition I visited last week-end.
So the "first part" is in the street : 11 store windows of the Galeries Lafayette.
Each one is "covered" with industrial sound. It's very unusual to visit it because of the street activity : thousand and thousand people are walking along and it's sometimes difficult to find the right place to appreciate. Actually, you'd better go at night !

The second part is inside the shop, on the first floor, featuring about 40 lithographies.
These have been created by Lynch in 2007 when he was invited to the Fondation Cartier.
I did'nt know but during this period, he was working in a very old "atelier" in Montparnasse area.

And, big surprise, I discovered yesterday that you can see all the Lynch lithographies in this atelier during september.
If you cannot, you can have a look here : http://www.itemeditions.com/catalogue/lynch/index.html
That's a king of catalogue, isn't it ?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for that link, Herve'! It must be so great to be able to go see all of that in person. Great catalogue!

I finally got the video link to work from Sep 8--is that the same exhibit?? Wowie--"let's go have a cappucino and a smoke..." ;)
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

I'm going on 29 September for the day. Will post some photos if I can.
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Yes Annie, that's the same exhibition.
Enjoy Fall of Sophia !