Lynch to direct third installment of Christian Dior ads

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Lynch to direct third installment of Christian Dior ads

Post by Mb3 »

Even though it's just a 15 minutes ad for a handbag, I have to admit that I absolutely enjoyed it.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I have to say I was disappointed. Now it was only a commercial but still... There was too much self referential stuff from his career that felt like it was just thrown in as a trademark or brand. It had nice feeling especially in the beginning and that questioning was hilariously bizarre. But when that hand bag dance came, it was quite cringeworthy. Uh. This wasn't worthy of being one of the Blue Rose Cases, IMHO.

All in all I have to say that I hope this test was enough to show him that you can't do good cinematography with those ultralow shutter speeds (way longer than 1/24 second). I understood what he was after but it didn't work for me. Too jerky. Maybe if it would have been acted like slowed down and then sped up. But that definitely won't work when you shoot by hand.

Those low speeds work very well in still photography, naturally.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Total sell-out. Unbelievable. Does he need the money?? Bloody advertising...

I agree with a previous poster in this thread in that he has probably run out of steam. INLAND EMPIRE was the end of the road and franlkly, how the hell do you follow that? How many years ago was that now? Several for sure, and he is just doing small scale stuff since. Seems to me that all his drive and energy goes into promoting this transcendental meditation bullshit. I just hope he has the will and inclination to revisit Twin Peaks and give us the deleted scenes one day.

Not alll aging director's decline though. Luis Bunuel's geatest work was produced when he was in his sixties and seventies...
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

RIGHT ! Lynch still had guts when he made INLAND EMPIRE and then... just a load of pitiful stuff which completely lacks integrity. Such a letdown for me who had previously considered him one of the greatest man on earth. And FUCK advertising, which is the worst of all evils in the world !

as you say, cubist, there's plenty of directors who never forgot their commitment and even radicalized over the years, such as Peter Watkins, Glauber Rocha, Stephen Dwoskin, Marcel Hanoun...
conspirateur

Post by conspirateur »

Calm down guys - let's wait and see what happens with the next film first. To be honest I thought 'how do you follow Mulholland Drive?' before IE. And look what happened.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Heh! No big deal, I'm not losing sleep over it. My comments above could apply to any privileged artist prostituting his talent by using it to advertise stuff. I don't like advertising, especially by organisations like Dior.
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by Face In The Leaves »

I still have absolute faith in David Lynch.

I've been a fan of his work for twenty years and I can't remember a time when people weren't questioning his talent or integrity. People wrote him off after Fire Walk With Me was released and he went on to make Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Some people call him a sellout for working in advertising while others write him off for having the audacity to release INLAND EMPIRE (too grainy and unconventional, they wail). The obvious solution would be for a company like CIBY 2000 or the De Laurentis Group to step in and finance a new film on the assumption that they see a return on their investment. Alas, if people want to see a return they invest their money in something safe.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

To be fair, I suppose he might be doing this stuff to help finance his personal film projects. And yes, I remember the fall-out from FWWM. It was vicious.
Face In The Leaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by Face In The Leaves »

Exactly. I know you're supposed to suffer for your art but pretty much everything he's ever done has attracted vicious criticism from one direction or another, whether it's the media, financial backers, or fans. David Lynch could be earning huge amounts of money directing big budget films, a la Ridley Scott, but he makes the films he wants to make and consequently struggles to find financial backing. I've been a 'fan' since I was fifteen and he's never compromised himself for money and I think that's absolutely wonderful*

I actually think it's a beautiful irony that fashion houses want to employ a man who's made a career out of sickness, decay and corruption to direct their advertisements. And Dior is, lest we forget, high fashion which can be every bit as creative and subversive as film, art, literature.... Any fashion house that employs John Galliano and David Lynch deserves respect.

I suppose working for Dior and Gucci reminds the suits (who may have say in future funding) that he's not just some lunatic cult director a la John Waters (who I adore but wouldn't employ to direct a Dior advert... the mind boggles).

* shipping costs on davidlynch.com excepted. It does not cost $100+ to send a small parcel to the UK, David!
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Great post man, you've adjusted my perspective on this one. I hadn't really considered it properly. We all have to make money from somewhere and it's perfectly true that he could be making millions if he used his talents towards producing Hollywood fodder. And yeh, I have also suffered the agony of the dl.com postage rates :mrgreen:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Lynch has directed commercials throughout his career, I'm not sure what makes this different. As do most other name directors. If it's a matter of making money I'd rather see him spend a month on a commercial than three years making some mindless Hollywood feature. Also a lot of the commercials he's shot are actually worth seeking out.