Anybody have David's Quinoa Recipe?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Anybody have David's Quinoa Recipe?

Post by Annie »

We talked about it when IE came out and I found the thread that had a link to his recipe. Unfortunately, that link is dead. I don't have time right now to search for David's recipe on the IE disc. Would much appreciate it if you could post it or anything similar for ONE person. Thanks.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
birchy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Anybody have David's Quinoa Recipe?

Post by birchy »

A bit late, but I just discovered a site for both your visual and textual needs:

http://laughingsquid.com/david-lynch-sh ... ks-quinoa/

and then here's just the recipe taken from the above site:

David Lynch Quinoa

Yield: 1 bowl
Cooking Time: 17 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups organic broccoli (chilled, from bag)
1 cube vegetable bullion
Braggs Liquid Aminos
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt

Preparation:

* Fill medium saucepan with about an inch of fresh water.
* Set pan on stove, light a nice hot flame add several dashes of sea salt.
* Look at the quinoa. It's like sand, this quinoa. It's real real tight little grains, but it's going to puff up.
* Unwrap bullion cube, bust it up with a small knife, and let it wait there. It'll be happy waiting right there.
* When water comes to a boil, add quinoa and cover pan with lid. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
* Meanwhile, retrieve broccoli from refrigerator and set aside, then fill a fine crystal wine glass"”one given to you by Agnes and Maya from Lódz, Poland"”with red wine, "˜cause this is what you do when you're making quinoa. Go outside, sit, take a smoke and think about all the little quinoas bubbling away in the pan.
* Add broccoli, cover and let cook for an additional 7 minutes.
* Meanwhile, go back outside and tell the story about the train with the coal-burning engine that stopped in a barren, dust-filled landscape on a moonless Yugoslavian night in 1965. The story about the frog moths and the small copper coin that became one room-temperature bottle of violet sugar water, six ice-cold Coca-colas, and handfuls and handfuls of silver coins.
* Turn off heat, add bullion to quinoa and stir with the tip of the small knife you used to bust up the bullion.
* Scoop quinoa into bowl using a spoon. Drizzle with liquid amino acids and olive oil. Serve and enjoy.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks birchy!! I just got into the Bragg's natural foods, too.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

...and for the non-vegans: bring to a boil 1 cup beef stock and 1 cup veggie stock( brockley, asparagus, whatever),
add 1/4 cup olive oil and a teaspoon of soy sauce.
When boiling again, add 1/2 cup quinoa.
Cover,reduce heat; cook 5 minutes.
Add chopped veggies.
Cover: reduce to simmer( ala rice.)
Cook with frequent stirring about 25 min.
If there's too much fluid, remove cover halfway through.
Feeds one.
*SAVE stocks whenever you cook. They freeze well and make food taste like food. :idea:
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

I was introduced by my brother to Quinoa about four or five years ago, and have over time, I've used it to replace rice and pasta...in my home, anyway. When I go out, restaurants don't serve quinoa, nor do I expect that to happen anytime soon. I find it essential, being type-2 diabetic.

The nutritional properties of Quinoa are perfect, as it's a protein, low glycemic and non gluten... and NOT technically a grain, though it is referred to as such....in fact, it's my understanding that "Quinoa" stands for "Mother of All Grains", ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa ) , the name given to it by the Incas.

It's VERY versatile to cook with, essentially it's cooked like rice at its most basic recipe....two parts water, one part quinoa, bring to a boil for 15 minutes and there you go. I use broth to cook mine.

OH... David Lynch's Quinoa video is at youtube.
"I can't understand a word you're saying, you have a thing in your mouth!"