David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time LP due November 8th!

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time LP due November 8th!

Post by Brad D »

via pitchfork.com...

We've been hearing about it for a long time, and now it's finally here: David Lynch's solo album of electronic pop. Here's the first thing you need to know about this album: It's called Crazy Clown Time. And here's the second thing: It features guest vocals from Yeah Yeah Yeahs leader Karen O on a song called "Pinky's Dream". Those are two very good reasons to get excited.

Crazy Clown Time arrives November 8 from Sunday Best Recordings. (In the U.S., it will be co-released by PIAS America.) Lynch wrote, produced, and performed the entire thing with help from engineer Dean Hurley, who also plays guitar and drums on several songs.

Below, listen to the early single "Good Day Today" and check out the album's tracklist. Read our interview with Lynch about his music here.

Crazy Clown Time:

01 Pinky's Dream
02 Good Day Today
03 So Glad
04 Noah's Ark
05 Football Game
06 I Know
07 Strange and Unproductive Thinking
08 The Night Bell With Lightning
09 Stone's Gone Up
10 Crazy Clown Time
11 These Are My Friends
12 Speed Roadster
13 Movin' On
14 She Rise Up
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time LP due November 8th!

Post by mixomatosis »

So Pinky's moved on from his Bubble Egg then?

After Good Day Today it's hard to be too excited about this, even with I Know and Speed Roadster on board. I'll probably still buy it though. It's a fanboy thing.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I'm damn excited. Hoping it'll have more songs like Speed Roadster, as in dark.
SMILLSOID
Roadhouse Member

Post by SMILLSOID »

Yippeeeeeeeeee!!! :D

I'm sure it will be diverse and experimental. He's obviously using music as his primary creative outlet now.
The Stanley Kubrick Forum - http://stanleykubrick.yuku.com
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

mixomatosis wrote:So Pinky's moved on from his Bubble Egg then?
I had the same thought when I saw this title.
mixomatosis wrote:After Good Day Today it's hard to be too excited about this,
I love "Good Day Today" :mrgreen:
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

dl_fan
Roadhouse Member

Post by dl_fan »

You can get a free download of the Crazy Clown Time single today from here:

http://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Anyone know the details of the deluxe vinyl version?

The Japanese CD has a bonus track.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Faringold

Post by Faringold »

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that there's no solid info about what will be in the deluxe box version apart from extra lyrics and visuals.

I've had a promo for about a week and I gotta say it's a lot better than I was expecting.

SPOILERS:

Karen O does a real nice job on Pinky's Dream, but my review copy had mad clipping all over this track (and most of the album tbh). Probably won't be a major issue for too many people but I thought it was pretty bad. It's not even like the album is super compressed - it sounds dynamic, they just seem to have clipped peaks all over the place. Strange.

I dunno why he was billing it as an 'electronic music album'. Good Day Today is the only track that really lives up to that billing, give or take a drum machine here or there. It's mostly guitar/drum/synth and a wee bit of sample manipulation.

The overall pace of the album is really low-tempo and takes a while to get used to. Noah's Ark is positively dubby but it works really well.

Strange and Unproductive Thinking hurts the album a lot. He should have left it off.

The closing pair of tracks are incredible. Like, properly moving stuff.

Overall I gotta say Lynch and Hurley have done a pretty great job. It really holds up to repeat listens.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Listening now... while I reserve the right to scream the opinion that GDT is the worst thing Lynch has done since Dune (apart from that ghastly Barbie-head coffee advert) until I'm blue in the face, the rest of the album is great. I even like Strange and Unproductive Thinking (though it does drag on quite a bit). My knowledge of blues music isn't that hot, but it does sound to me like Lynch has really carved himself a niche here. It's dark, but it's not Tom Waits. I'm sure someone more qualified could tell me otherwise, but it really sounds unique to me.

The most excited I've ever been hearing an album for the first time was Endtroducing by DJ Shadow. CCT doesn't come anywhere near that in terms of excitement, but it's a solid collection, and like his best soundtracks and films, this is something I can see myself returning to for many years...

I heart Karen O.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

I don't think there is a weak track on the album, it makes for perfect chill music that doesn't reek of redundancy and can still provide that darker edge Lynch is so fond of.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Fire wrote:I don't think there is a weak track on the album, it makes for perfect chill music that doesn't reek of redundancy and can still provide that darker edge Lynch is so fond of.
Well put. This isn't the type of album that I'll be singing along to on my drive home from work, but it will be great to have playing while I'm working on various projects at home. I was surprised by the variety from song to song. I was afraid that the album would be too redundant and long.

"Strange and Unproductive Thinking" is a weird, long song, but I like it.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

My only complaint is that for some reason my disc drive doesn't play it, or even recognize it's in the drive.

Other then that, ace album.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Anyone know the details of the deluxe vinyl version?

The Japanese CD has a bonus track.
I've been asking the same thing to someone who has the Super Deluxe Edition on another forum, hopefully I'll get an answer.

Actually there are two bonus tracks. One for Japan ("I Have a Radio") and one from iTunes ("Sparkle Lounge Blues"), or maybe it's the same track with different names?... Does anyone know where I can buy the iTunes track? Unfortunately, the Norwegian iTunes store does only have the 14-track edition. It would be cool it will be available to buy from David Lynch.com after all the wonderful Twin Peaks tracks have been released (which, by the way is very much appreciated work!).

Edit: There seems to be a video for "I Have a Radio", just watched a preview at the Japanese iTunes store. The Japanese CD has very expensive international shipping (more than twice of the prize of the CD...)
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Christian1989 wrote:Actually there are two bonus tracks. One for Japan ("I Have a Radio") and one from iTunes ("Sparkle Lounge Blues"), or maybe it's the same track with different names?...

Edit: There seems to be a video for "I Have a Radio", just watched a preview at the Japanese iTunes store. The Japanese CD has very expensive international shipping (more than twice of the prize of the CD...)
Those are two different tracks. I bought "Sparkle Lounge Blues" from iTunes Polska. It's a cute instrumental track (3:49).

I have no idea how to get "I have a radio" track :( - video preview is great - I'd love to have it!
I must say I HATE those "japan only" tracks - why the hell rest of the world can't enjoy this track? They almost always gets more tracks then the rest of the world! It's just unfair to the rest of the fans! I'm very angry! :evil: