Page 1 of 1

Recurring themes

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 am
by Black Rose
It has been posited that all of David Lynch's films and other works are all pieces of a larger whole.

In that spirit, what are some recurring themes?

Red drapes
Blue roses
People with physical deformities
Red suits
People with head injuries
Vacuum cleaners
Singers/performers on stage
Dreams
Hotels
Rape/incest
Fire
Home invasion
Twins/dopplegangers
"Underwater" soundtrack
Wild spaces juxtaposed with towns or cities
Handbags/boxes
The Wizard of Oz
Flashes of light
Amnesia
Dreams
Cheating/cuckolding
Factories/mills
People with psychic powers
Prostitutes
Teh 50's
Virgin/whore dichotomies


One might also put forth the idea that the same characters are in several works.

There is an argument to be made that Rita/Camilla, Dorothy Valens, and Josie Packard are the "same" person.

Any other characters who seem to flow between films?

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am
by The Double R
Credit to Kyle, but Jeffrey Beaumont is like a young Dale Cooper.

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:35 pm
by Venus
Black Rose wrote:It has been posited that all of David Lynch's films and other works are all pieces of a larger whole.

In that spirit, what are some recurring themes?

Red drapes
Blue roses
People with physical deformities
Red suits
People with head injuries
Vacuum cleaners
Singers/performers on stage
Dreams
Hotels
Rape/incest
Fire
Home invasion
Twins/dopplegangers
"Underwater" soundtrack
Wild spaces juxtaposed with towns or cities
Handbags/boxes
The Wizard of Oz
Flashes of light
Amnesia
Dreams
Cheating/cuckolding
Factories/mills
People with psychic powers
Prostitutes
Teh 50's
Virgin/whore dichotomies


One might also put forth the idea that the same characters are in several works.

There is an argument to be made that Rita/Camilla, Dorothy Valens, and Josie Packard are the "same" person.

Any other characters who seem to flow between films?


I always wonder what truly influenced Lynch's movie making from his real life - both adult and childhood and how some or all of these themes have been inspired by that experience. I would imagine it would be more than just a flash in the pan interest in some of these things for them to continue as themes throughout his career. But because he doesn't really discuss his work, he doesn't need to explain them so I'll guess we'll never know!

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 pm
by Mr. Jackpots
I would say that Bob, the Phantom, and Frank booth are 3 characters that are very similar in nature, and could represent "the same' persona.

Also you could group together. The Cowboy, Mystery Man, The Giant, Grace Zabriskies character from IE.

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 am
by Rainwater
Platypus2000 wrote:I would say that Bob, the Phantom, and Frank booth are 3 characters that are very similar in nature, and could represent "the same' persona.

Also you could group together. The Cowboy, Mystery Man, The Giant, Grace Zabriskies character from IE.

If anything, I'd equate Leland, not Bob, with Frank Booth.

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am
by Soolsma
A woman in trouble

Re: Recurring themes

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:10 pm
by Mr. Jackpots
Rainwater wrote:
Platypus2000 wrote:I would say that Bob, the Phantom, and Frank booth are 3 characters that are very similar in nature, and could represent "the same' persona.

Also you could group together. The Cowboy, Mystery Man, The Giant, Grace Zabriskies character from IE.

If anything, I'd equate Leland, not Bob, with Frank Booth.


Yes, that would be more accurate.