Just found it!

Did you knew it exist?

More info

http://www.discogs.com/David-Lynch-And- ... se/2094091
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: David Lynch & John Neff - Cannes Memory

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yep. The cd single was for sale on Lynch's old site. I'm surprised it's not for download on the new site.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thank you, qbin. I don't think I've ever heard that before.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Dave was the President of the Jury for the 2002 Cannes Film Festival, and we had such success there the year before with "Mulholland Drive" that he wanted to do a sunny, Mediterranean sounding thing to give out at the Fest. So we had a Rhodes piano at the studio, and I had one at home too. We were dinking around with ideas one day, but nothing gelled. Then that night at home I got an idea (caught the 'fish'), so I recorded it on my piano.
Took it in the next day and played it for Dave and he really liked it - started humming a tune over the changes (well, as good as Dave hums, anyway).
So I made a click track and re-recorded the Rhodes track in the studio and put a bass on it - don't remember if there is any guitar-haven't played it in over 10 years, but Dave wanted to play trumpet on it.
Now he had been schooled in the trumpet as a student and could still read a part. He also still had a couple of really nice old trumpets, including his old student one and a nice reconditioned one given to him by Adam Harding.
But his lip was gone. He could only play a few notes or a phrase until it went "Pppphhhhffffftttt!!!!".
So he sketched out his part, and we recorded it a few notes at a time, and I stitched the whole thing together to make the melody track.
It was a giveaway at the fest but he brought about 300 home, so he decided to sell it on his website. It was quite a lot of money for a single, but it was unique and rare.
When he sold out, he ordered another thousand and sold them on the site.
A few years later, I asked for my share,because I owned 40% of the song.
Got a statement from his "Hollywood Accountant" showing that the thing had not recouped and had lost money, so there was no profit to share.
WTF!!?? We had NO cost except the pressing!
But, that's Hollywood for ya!
And THAT's why I never listen to it!

Ah, a trip down Cannes memory Lane.