David Lynch & Jacques Rivette retrospective

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: David Lynch & Jacques Rivette retrospective

Post by LostInTheMovies »

cinemartin wrote:Oh man - keep me posted please! I haven't read your reviews yet but I very much look forward to, as I really don't see a lot of connections between the 2 filmmakers other than superficial ones (at best). Hoping to be enlightened!
For me, the styles have struck me (as I thought they would) as quite different, but many of the themes and subjects are eerily similar. And in many cases the differences are as compelling as the links when held up against each other. There's another writer for MUBI who has been teasing out similarities in form, an approach I think complements my own so I'd recommend checking is both out I you are interested.

Fingers crossed for L'Amour Fou. I haven't seen it yet on the big screen so either way it will be memorable but a pristine print would be great. More I think about it, likelier it seems with all the revival Rivette has undergone this year - blu-rays, other retrospectives etc. I do know that a full remaster of Out 1 has been made so there's good reason to be optimistic. It's been a banner year for both directors.
cinemartin

Post by cinemartin »

Awesome - thanks. If it is a restored print, please let me know of any new company logos or restoration credits. This definitely would have flown under the radar!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Sadly, I ran late and missed the opening logo. Doubt it was a restoration due to noticeable tint shifts between reels but that said, I thought it looked pretty great certainly 1000x better than what I saw before (where the subtitles were often unreadable on white backgrounds). I was definitely a more absorbing experience due to the image quality for me this time.
cinemartin

Post by cinemartin »

Too bad about running late. Sounds like it was probably the same old print - certainly not terrible and better than the bootlegs out there. But that's a film that screens for a restoration - although I imagine it would be difficult with the mixed formats and the extreme length.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

3 more reviews

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

And finally, the last double feature:

Inland Empire & The Story of Marie and Julien