Kieslowski

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Kieslowski

Post by the haystack »

Does anyone know if DL has made references to Krzysztof Kieslowski, or any expressed opinions or connections with him? I am not the Lynch scholar that some of you are; I did perform a search within the forum, but found no results. Cross referencing the two names in search engines hasn't produced anything either. It's just a curiosity that has occurred to me many times over the years, as I regard both of them in my top 5 all time favorite directors. And, I guess, I'm thinking about Lynch's Polish connections of late.

Cursory research yields nothing in the way of contacts or influences between them. And it seems that there is little, in terms of attitude toward film, that they share in common. But I see parallels, just in my own opinion, probably. Thanks for reading and/or comments if you do.
Log Lady lives
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Kieslowski

Post by LostInTheMovies »

the haystack wrote:Does anyone know if DL has made references to Krzysztof Kieslowski, or any expressed opinions or connections with him? I am not the Lynch scholar that some of you are; I did perform a search within the forum, but found no results. Cross referencing the two names in search engines hasn't produced anything either. It's just a curiosity that has occurred to me many times over the years, as I regard both of them in my top 5 all time favorite directors. And, I guess, I'm thinking about Lynch's Polish connections of late.

Cursory research yields nothing in the way of contacts or influences between them. And it seems that there is little, in terms of attitude toward film, that they share in common. But I see parallels, just in my own opinion, probably. Thanks for reading and/or comments if you do.
I'm trying to figure out if Lynch has expressed great interest in ANY post-60s filmmaker. It seems like he has only a few influences/touchstones and they are all much older than him (and at this point, not with us anymore). Although then again he did head a Cannes jury in the early 2000s so there's that. I'm sure someone here will pull up some examples, I just can't think of much now.
visceralrealist

Post by visceralrealist »

In the March 2007 issue of Sight & Sound there's an article about Lynch by Mike Figgis that briefly touches on the subject (in a not-very-illuminating way):
Who knows if the alleged curse on Rosemary's Baby (including the demise of Polish composer Krzysztof Komeda) had something to do with the unconscious beginnings of Inland Empire, a substantial part of which was filmed in Lodz in Poland at the film school that educated Roman Polanski. The Lodz school also happens to be the alma mater of Krzysztof Kieslowski, whose The Double Life of Véronique has been mentioned as a precursor to Lynch's characteristic doppelganger theme, though when asked about it Lynch replied vaguely: "I'm not a film buff."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

LostInTheMovies wrote: I'm trying to figure out if Lynch has expressed great interest in ANY post-60s filmmaker. It seems like he has only a few influences/touchstones and they are all much older than him (and at this point, not with us anymore). Although then again he did head a Cannes jury in the early 2000s so there's that. I'm sure someone here will pull up some examples, I just can't think of much now.
About three or four years ago (I think), there was an interview where he was asked about other contemporary filmmakers whose work he enjoys, and he said, "I like Martin Scorsese, and I like some of P.T. Anderson's films." Those were the only names he mentioned, and I believe he followed it up by saying he's really not a film buff and just enjoys the making of the movies.