ABSURDA, a new short film by David Lynch.

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

zachary_mayo

ABSURDA, a new short film by David Lynch.

Post by zachary_mayo »

ABSURDA, a new Lynch short film, was shown on wednesday during the Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony.

Lynch won the Palme d'Or in Cannes for Wild at Heart, and was president of the jury in 2002. This year, for the 60th edition of the festival, he offered this short film as a little birthday present. This is the first good surprise of this year's edition.

See it here :

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... lynch-2007
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't even aware that Cannes had started, since David doesn't have anything in the running. I have to go watch it on a different computer!

OK, I just watched it; that is so bizarre! Unfortunately the computer I had to use had no sound, so I hope the music was good.
Last edited by Annie on Fri May 18, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Thanks for that! Very interesting...and odd...as usual... :wink: Like it though!

Interesting to see Mr Lynch there with a certain Emily Stofle...
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Re: ABSURDA, a new short film by David Lynch.

Post by Red Room »

zachary_mayo wrote:ABSURDA, a new Lynch short film, was shown on wednesday during the Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony.
Thanks for the heads-up... I really liked it, and hope that a higher resolution version will surface soon.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

you can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=QRCJ6B8H

it's still compressed (XVid) but it's better than streamed.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

kelvah wrote:you can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=QRCJ6B8H

it's still compressed (XVid) but it's better than streamed.
Many thanks for the link Kelvah... I'm watching it now - great stuff. :-)
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

zachary_mayo wrote:ABSURDA, a new Lynch short film, was shown on wednesday during the Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony...
Thinking about it, this would make a great 'extra' on the INLAND EMPIRE DVD, although it may be a little too late for inclusion...
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

Red Room wrote:Thinking about it, this would make a great 'extra' on the INLAND EMPIRE DVD, although it may be a little too late for inclusion...
You're right, Red Room, it would make sense, as there is (to me) the same kind of mood than in INLAND EMPIRE.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this short film appear on the french DVD edition of INLAND EMPIRE (to be released next september I believe).
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

That seems a lot like the stuff we did for the website, and it is definitely Emily's voice as female narrator. Listen to "Boat" and you will see.
Interesting.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Can I just say....I really love Boat. :D Seriously...its so soothing....sends me off to sleep. (in the good way!!)

I do like Absurda but it isn't a favourite of mine. I wonder if this was made at short notice? It just has that feel about it. Still, there are some nice parts.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

I really like Absurda, and would very much like to own it on DVD. On Wikipedia and several boards on imdb, it says that the StudioCanal DVD of To Each His Own Cinema (the film where it was intended to be included) does not include Lynch's short (nor the Coen brothers' segment which I would like to see). Another DVD was released by Pyramide Distribution, but I have not found any information on weither Lynch's or the Coen's segments are included here. Anyone know if they are on that DVD, or if this shorts ever will be released on DVD?

Also, the cinematheque in my town is showing To Each His Own Cinema next week. In the programme it says that both Lynch and the Coen brothers have contributed in the making of this movie, but when they were theatrically released, their shorts were delivered to late to be included in its theatrical release. Do you know if they could be edited in the film on a later occasion?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Anyone at all?
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I don't think that are any plans of releasing the complete collection of the shorts for now.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

I don't think this has been posted yet (if it has, sorry, I missed it), but a new French DVD edition for "Chacun son cinema" was released this very week (may 6, 2008, for those who'll read this post some time from now) as a 2 discs set (I think the version published like year -which is now out of print- was just 1 disc)
And guess what... the second DVD, as a "bonus" features David Lynch's 'Absurda'.
I haven't bought it yet, and while I'll be glad to have it on DVD, something scares me: as I've previously experienced, short films on DVD often get a less-than-perfect treatment, and to my dismay, it is not rare that the French subtitles, on those DVDs, are actually burned into the image, as opposed to feature films who get subtitles that are either optional, or even when "forced", as long as they're not in the image itself, can still be eventually removed in some way on the computer.

I hope this is not a "subtitles burned into the image" case, that would suck.

EDIT: oh, by the way, in case Christian and Pete were wondering, this new DVD set does have the Lynch film, but not the Coen Brother's. Maybe they'll do a new edition next year with it. (That would be fun: "To Each His Own Cinema: the DVD that keeps being released until they get it right").
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Thanks. That is some great news. I too hope this release doesn't have forced subtitles.
Also what's the problem with not releasing the Coen brothers short as well? Argh, that really is frustrating, and reminds me a lot of the issues regarding the release of Tarantino & Rodriguez's Grindhouse.