Zelly and Me/Heart Beat

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Lumberton

Zelly and Me/Heart Beat

Post by Lumberton »

I recently saw two films featuring Lynch.
"Zelly and Me" features Lynch in a small, but important, role as Isabella Rossellini's lover. It was great to see Lynch in a serious role and he had some amusing lines.

"Heart Beat" (supposedly) features Lynch in an uncredited role as a painter, however I watched the film and could not see him anywhere. Has anybody seen the film and know which scene Lynch is in?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Zelly and Me/Heart Beat

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I hope it's not dreadfully rude to dredge up this old post, but this is something that doesn't seem to be definitively addressed anywhere on the Internet, and I think I can set the record straight.

I've recently been trying to fill in the minor gaps in my Lynch viewing, and in that spirit, I picked up a copy of Heart Beat. The scene with Lynch's cameo is about 19 minutes in. The scene takes place at an art show, and all the works in the background are actually Lynch's paintings. It's interesting to see work from this period of his artistic career, although I'm not personally crazy about this particular style. Lynch himself appears as the artist, but it is REALLY blink-and-you'll-miss it. He appears at 19:19, way in the background in a pan shot, with a crowd gathered around him. He's wearing dark glasses and a scarf, and is pretty much unrecognizable (I only spotted him because the photo album on the Pretty as a Picture DVD includes a shot of him in costume for the film--seemingly sporting a cast which isn't visible in the film).

I don't know if the role was ever intended to be any bigger, but it's really not worth checking out the film just for Lynch's cameo, unless you're interested in his art.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Not to mention, of course, that Zelly and Me was the work of Twin Peaks director Tina Rathborne, tying things in nicely!!

ISTR a trailer on a Sky channel for Zelly back in the 1990s and Lynch was used prominently in it. Lynch has lot of similarities with Tarantino in terms of his cache as a director and an occasional actor, even though their styles are completely different. Needless to say, Tarantino's dismissal of FWWM is something I utterly disagree with and makes me think he was just following the crowd at the time to make sure they poured affection on his films.

How anyone could actually boo FWWM and walk out is staggering. Even if you don't like it, it's not that bad! It made me see Tarantino as a bit of a sycophant kissing up to the other critics. I think a lot of the abuse FWWM got was because a lot of film critics and film industry people back then (and even some now) were utterly dismissive of TV as a lesser medium and the 'film snob's' view back then was 'How dare Lynch scrape the gutter that is TV' and subsequently 'How dare Lynch spin off a TV show into a movie!'

In multimedia terms, Lynch was a pioneer because he used whatever medium he felt was best to tell his story. Nowadays, film directors also working in TV and on the web is the norm.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Gabriel wrote:Even if you don't like it, it's not that bad! It made me see Tarantino as a bit of a sycophant kissing up to the other critics.
My take is that Tarantino likes to be "in the know." Fire Walk With Me made him feel out of the loop because whatever he thought he knew about Lynch, from films like Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart, didn't help him get this one. And considering how a lot of Lynch admiration, especially at this point, came from people feeling proud that they "understood" what other people didn't, that must've burned. So he dismissed the film rather than own up to the fact that he wasn't ready/prepared to deal with it. I wonder how he feels about it today.
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

Gabriel wrote:...Tarantino's dismissal of FWWM
Can you tell me what he said or do you have a link? I can't find anything to that effect online and I'm curious. Thanks.
"Now it's dark....."
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

just wanted to chime in. look up 35 years of david lynch twin peaks fire walk with me.
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Rebel wrote:just wanted to chime in. look up 35 years of david lynch twin peaks fire walk with me.
Ah, yes, I found the quote and so much more... Fantastic site: "35 years of david lynch" - http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspot.com
Thank you!
"Now it's dark....."
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

Your welcome Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:Can you tell me what he said or do you have a link? I can't find anything to that effect online and I'm curious. Thanks.
http://grantland.com/features/twenty-th ... niversary/
“After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him.”
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Gabriel wrote:
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:Can you tell me what he said or do you have a link? I can't find anything to that effect online and I'm curious. Thanks.
“After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him.”
It was in an interview with the film critic Gerald Peary, which is partially on Google Books somewhere I think.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:just wanted to chime in. look up 35 years of david lynch twin peaks fire walk with me.
Ah, yes, I found the quote and so much more... Fantastic site: "35 years of david lynch" - http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspot.com
Thank you!
Make sure you read the ep. 17-23 entry he did. I don't think anyone has nailed the horror and ridiculousness of the wake scene as well as Michsel Warren (the captions on the pictures are hilariously biting).
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Thanks, I'd like to, but can't find it. Don't see a search box on the site and didn't find it in a general Web search. Do you have a link by chance?

------

Make sure you read the ep. 17-23 entry he did. I don't think anyone has nailed the horror and ridiculousness of the wake scene as well as Michsel Warren (the captions on the pictures are hilariously biting).
"Now it's dark....."
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Thanks, Gabriel! Quite the harsh quote but I do, sadly, have to agree with it to a degree. I felt disappointed after seeing FWWM in the theater, and I had been looking forward to it having been a huge Peaks fan during the original TV run (season 1, at least).
Gabriel wrote:
"Now it's dark....."
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote:Thanks, I'd like to, but can't find it. Don't see a search box on the site and didn't find it in a general Web search. Do you have a link by chance?

------

Here it is: http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspo ... 20-26.html
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

someone posted that heartbeat art show scene at one point on you tube, seems to have been scrubbed. whole film is behind a paywall now on you tube, amazon, apple tv.

I wasn't sure if they were Lynch's personal paintings from the time, or Jack Fisk gave him a budget and told him to make beatnik looking art.