BLUEBOB - Limited Deluxe Box, What's the story behind this?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

BLUEBOB - Limited Deluxe Box, What's the story behind this?

Post by discjunkie »

Allright. My first post at the Dugpa forum.

I own a copy of the limited deluxe box that was done for the BLUEBOB audio cd. However, I can't find any info on how limited this box set is or why it doesn't appear on DL.com anymore.

Does anyone know more about it? (I like to gather whatever valueble info I can for my personal site)...

For more info and photos you can check out my website using the following url:

http://www.discjunkie.se/2006/12/bluebo ... e-box.html

Furthermore, from what I've heard, the regular release of the BLUEBOB audio cd includes the Thank You, Judge music video... but the disc in my set does not (!)...

So what's up with that? Does anyone else own this box set, and do your sets lack the video content as well?

PS. This deluxe box is just the same size as the other deluxe boxes (Eraserhead, Short Films and Dumbland - all of which I have documented on my site as well - however, the outer paper sleeve is a lot thinner on this set, and it's NOT glossy as the others). DS
/Discjunkie
grrlskout
Roadhouse Member

Post by grrlskout »

I heard something about the name Blue Bob being copyrighted or something....? I'm sure others have more info on that.

I honestly had no idea there was OTHER packaging for this. I bought it on the site when it first came out and this box is what I have.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

I've got the Soulitude Records release of the CD and there's no video on it. (Or if there is I haven't found it...)
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

Robin Davies wrote:I've got the Soulitude Records release of the CD and there's no video on it. (Or if there is I haven't found it...)
Huh, guess I was wrong then, maybe there never was a CD featuring a video...
/Discjunkie
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I remember reading somewhere that there was an enhanced Blue Bob CD that included video footage, so you didn't imagine it. Most enhanced CDs don't work anymore. The video's weren't actually on the disc. The CD contained a weblink to a site hosting the video. I have a few CDs that used to play videos but now nothing happens - not even an error message. The technology wasn't great.
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:I remember reading somewhere that there was an enhanced Blue Bob CD that included video footage, so you didn't imagine it. Most enhanced CDs don't work anymore. The video's weren't actually on the disc. The CD contained a weblink to a site hosting the video. I have a few CDs that used to play videos but now nothing happens - not even an error message. The technology wasn't great.
Huh... well my audio CD does have a link to DL.com but it doesn't show the video. Seems to be a cryptic message for some unkwown DL.com feature...

this is the site it takes you to...

http://www.davidlynch.com/bluebobegg.html
/Discjunkie
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

There's your answer then - that's where the video would have been.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

i have the 6x6 deluxe Blue Bob box, and it does have the video on - in Shockwave format, with an html browser page set up for viewing it - the box had instructions about the "enhanced cd" on a bit of paper inside it as well...
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

biotron wrote:i have the 6x6 deluxe Blue Bob box, and it does have the video on - in Shockwave format, with an html browser page set up for viewing it - the box had instructions about the "enhanced cd" on a bit of paper inside it as well...
Jeeez, this just get weirder by the minute...

I've gone through the files on my disc and there's just no shockwave file on there...

Or atleast I don't see it. Just seems to be a few images and html , no shockwave I can find...

Does your disc come with the DL.com weblink as well?
/Discjunkie
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Hi;
I can set the record straight.
The Box Set sold on DL.com was from an initial order of 5,000. Not all were sold, and there will be no others. It was the private release and did not have the video for, "Thank You, Judge!".
The Soulitude Records standard CD did not have the video on it.
The Soulitude Limited Edition Box Set (that has a black sticker on the outside) DOES have the Video on it, in a shockwave file that does not link to a site, but that plays ditectly in your computer. There were 5,000 of these made, to be sold only in 13 European countries initially, but I know that some have been sold in the US by the label, as not all sold in Europe.
I have a limited number of all editions from my personal inventory available on my website.
Thank you for your interest and I hope you like the record.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

John Neff wrote:The Soulitude Limited Edition Box Set (that has a black sticker on the outside) DOES have the Video on it, in a shockwave file that does not link to a site, but that plays ditectly in your computer.
hi John - well, my box DOESN'T have a black sticker on the outside! i want my black sticker! :wink:

anyway, yep - it's a great video, and a great album... you might be interested to hear i have a talented musical friend who set up a sort of tribute group almost entirely as a result of hearing "The Pink Room", and he had not heard Blue Bob until i played it to him recently - needless to say, he was totally overwhelmed, loved it, and now lists you / them as a big influence... although all the tracks were finished ages ago!

forgive the spam, but some of you may enjoy hearing their music -

http://www.myspace.com/bignedwantsyou
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

John Neff wrote:Hi;
I can set the record straight.
The Box Set sold on DL.com was from an initial order of 5,000. Not all were sold, and there will be no others. It was the private release and did not have the video for, "Thank You, Judge!".
The Soulitude Records standard CD did not have the video on it.
The Soulitude Limited Edition Box Set (that has a black sticker on the outside) DOES have the Video on it, in a shockwave file that does not link to a site, but that plays ditectly in your computer. There were 5,000 of these made, to be sold only in 13 European countries initially, but I know that some have been sold in the US by the label, as not all sold in Europe.
I have a limited number of all editions from my personal inventory available on my website.
Thank you for your interest and I hope you like the record.
Wow! Thanks for clearing that up! :D

Just one more question... When will we see a second album??? :wink:
/Discjunkie
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Biotron, thank you for the kind comments. I am glad your friend likes the record. I perform some of it in my live shows and it seems to go over well.

Discjunkie, while David and I have recorded dozens of pieces, there will not be another 'BlueBOB' album. That was the title of the project, not necessarily the band.

I have been speaking with him recently about the unreleased (and some unfinished) music, and we will come to some resolution that allows it to be released, either by him or by myself, or both. Nothing is yet worked out, and when it is, I will let you know.