On the air?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

PeteMartell

On the air?

Post by PeteMartell »

What?

What is the deal with this David Lynch show "On the Air"? Somehow I missed it when it was actually on the air. Squiggy, Miguel Ferrer, Richard Tremaine. Amazing. All I have seen so far is from small clips on YouTube. It's amazing and strange. Does anyone know where to find the full episodes? And what is the deal with this show? How was this insanity put on the air? Would love to hear impressions from the TP community about this oddball-ness.
Last edited by PeteMartell on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: On the air?

Post by KyleRickards »

PeteMartell wrote:What?

What is the deal with this David Lynch show "On the Air"? Somehow I missed it when it was actually on the air. Squiggy, Miguel Ferretti Richard Tremaine. Amazing. All I have seen so far is from small clips on YouTube. It's amazing and strange. Does anyone know where to find the full episodes? And what is the deal with this show? How was this insanity put on the air? Would love to hear impressions from the TP community about this oddball-ness.
I remember watching it in the UK when they showed it at some amazingly late time. I also bought the two videos they made. I thought it was really funny but I think it was an acquired taste!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

PeteMartell wrote:What?

What is the deal with this David Lynch show "On the Air"? Somehow I missed it when it was actually on the air. Squiggy, Miguel Ferretti Richard Tremaine. Amazing. All I have seen so far is from small clips on YouTube. It's amazing and strange. Does anyone know where to find the full episodes? And what is the deal with this show? How was this insanity put on the air? Would love to hear impressions from the TP community about this oddball-ness.
I watched a couple episodes, then it disappeared. Then one day at the video store they had a tape with all of the episodes on it. Eventually I was able to locate a VHS copy. I don't think they show is on any streaming services at the moment. It's worth trying to track down the VHS though. (From time to time there are full episodes on YouTube).

In addition to the people you mentioned, Tracey Walter and Marvin Kaplan are also regulars. Chuck McCann guest stars in the episode I think is the funniest 30 minutes in the history of television, the Mr. Peanuts episode. So good.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Well, considering the fate of the series, one has to wonder if the more appropriate title wouldn't actually be OFF THE AIR. :D I mean, four of its seven episodes didn't even air in the US in any kind of capacity. Ever.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Agent Earle wrote:Well, considering the fate of the series, one has to wonder if the more appropriate title wouldn't actually be OFF THE AIR. :D I mean, four of its seven episodes didn't even air in the US in any kind of capacity. Ever.
That's interesting. I seem to remember some black and white ancient film with subtitles on BBC 2 - and only after that had finished, we got to see the next episode of On The Air at something like 2:50am!

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

KyleRickards wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Well, considering the fate of the series, one has to wonder if the more appropriate title wouldn't actually be OFF THE AIR. :D I mean, four of its seven episodes didn't even air in the US in any kind of capacity. Ever.
That's interesting. I seem to remember some black and white ancient film with subtitles on BBC 2 - and only after that had finished, we got to see the next episode of On The Air at something like 2:50am!

Well, the series was aired in UK in its entirety (and in other parts of the world, I guess; I remember well our national TV in my country here in Central Europe aired it whole not long after Twin Peaks in the early 90's). I guess it just goes to prove US was always more of a "foster parent" to Lynch, whereas other environments (Europe and Japan, for instance), where they had better taste for his sensibilities and eccentricities, were more of his "natural home" (I don't seem to remember the original Twin Peaks cooling off after the Laura Palmer's killer reveal elsewhere /Germany, Russia, Japan.../ the way it did in the US; if anything, it got even more popular as it neared its conclusion - this is just my general impression, mind you, I haven't conducted a survey). That's certainly true of his TV output, up to - and not including - his current show.
blazingmagnums

Post by blazingmagnums »

The first episode had me crying with laughter. Takes a bit of a nosedive, but it's well worth a watch.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i agree, the Pilot was really funny a lot of the times.. my only real gripe was the exaggeratedly silly sound effects

Ian Buchanan and Miguel Ferrer were constantly great but the scripts very quickly started going down hill.

you can find all episodes in full on YouTube if you write Ian Buchanan On The Air Episode [insert number 1 - 7 here]

here's the second best episode

i really hope to see this in better quality some day
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Not that I'm bothered about this, just to be helpful: more On The Air discussion can be found here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26.[list][/list]
"Your log and I are on the same page."
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

On the air?

Post by KyleRickards »

Interesting, are they off air copies then? I may try putting mine somewhere

Edit: for clarification

Last edited by KyleRickards on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

KyleRickards wrote:Interesting, are they off air copies then? I may try putting mine on YouTube
Somebody digitized the aforementioned VHS release of all the episodes and released it into the wild of the internet. It's...out there to be found. I'll say no more about that.

It's a very funny show if you're into an extended take on Lynch's very silliest impulses.

This and Hotel Room really should get official digital releases of some kind (all kinds of weird, obscure, old HBO properties are available on HBO Go, but not Hotel Room--what's up with that?). I'm sure they'd sell/stream enough to justify a release. Maybe there are weird ownership issues.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Come to think of it, I have a VHS of Hotel Room somewhere too. Need to find that and digitize it for myself at some point.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Agree re funniest moments & Mr. Peanuts. Nearly died laughing.... Overused phrase but not here. I recall it (on the site) was on the cover of TV guide late spring 1991?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

How did you ever chime up with that dazzling wordplay!! Wow. Just.... Wow..

Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

All ran in Canada as well