Roman Polanski petition and Lynch

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Roman Polanski petition and Lynch

Post by Deep Thought »

I’ll tiptoe into this, I don’t want to generate bad feelings. I don’t follow Hollywood stuff at all, but reading about Lynch recently I came across the fact that he signed a petition to “free” Roman Polanski in 2010. I have enjoyed Polanski’s movies even though he is an admitted child rapist; I feel movies can stand on their own separate from their creators and any judgments I may have about them.

I just thought it interesting that the themes that Lynch deals with so intimately in his work are personified in Polanski. Did DL make any kind of statement as to his rational for wanting the charges against Polanski dropped? Passage of time, perhaps? Time served? Forgiveness? It’s funny, Lynch has had a hand in shaping my own views about the horrors of child abuse and I was taken aback by him signing this petition.

I’m just curious, and I hope this is proper place to pose the question, and maybe start a discussion.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Re: Roman Polanski petition and Lynch

Post by Nikki Grace »

Deep Thought wrote:I’ll tiptoe into this, I don’t want to generate bad feelings. I don’t follow Hollywood stuff at all, but reading about Lynch recently I came across the fact that he signed a petition to “free” Roman Polanski in 2010. I have enjoyed Polanski’s movies even though he is an admitted child rapist; I feel movies can stand on their own separate from their creators and any judgments I may have about them.

I just thought it interesting that the themes that Lynch deals with so intimately in his work are personified in Polanski. Did DL make any kind of statement as to his rational for wanting the charges against Polanski dropped? Passage of time, perhaps? Time served? Forgiveness? It’s funny, Lynch has had a hand in shaping my own views about the horrors of child abuse and I was taken aback by him signing this petition.

I’m just curious, and I hope this is proper place to pose the question, and maybe start a discussion.
Many big name directors signed that petition and I doubt any would ever speak about why they did, although it would be very interesting, especially in the case of David Lynch. There's no way of telling, but I would suppose it is the idea of time and forgiveness. There is also more sympathy towards Polanski because of his childhood ravaged by the Holocaust (killing his mother), and of course Sharon Tate. Not that any of it justifies what he did.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Gross. Boys club. http://www.thedailybeast.com/its-not-ju ... itter_page Once again, name the problem...
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

I never cared for the Hollywood elite sticking up for pedophiles. It happens often. The "problem" with Polanski, though, is that many think what happened to him is a miscarriage of justice. Before I get my ass kicked, I want to reiterate that what I think Roman Polanski did was disgusting. But I also believe on "judging" cases on an individual basis. I've read the case files and followed the news for many years. Basically, Polanski pleaded guilty, served the INITIAL sentence given him (at CHINO STATE PRISON) He was in every aspect compliant. The judge himself reneged on the sentence served and wanted to tag on more time. Polanski fled. If anything, he's guilty for fleeing more than statutory rape considering the fact he already served his sentence. Yes, yes, this is all BS to a lot of people. But the law is the law. There was a lot of "under the table" antics on the part of the judge and prosecution. And whether you find Polanski disgusting or not, he has a legitimate gripe with the US legal system.

Combine that with the fact that the victim herself wants this all to end. She is actually DEFENDING Polanski I believe this should count for something since he hasn't been in trouble before or since. Again, an individual case.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/movi ... cebook.com

Another Polanski child rape allegation.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 94699.html

Hopefully, a reckoning is coming. I would love to see it burn.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Relevant to this subject, Mark named Chinatown as his favorite movie during his AMA Weds., and then was (unironically) quoting the iconic “nosey fellow” scene — in which Polanski himself appears — on twitter contemporaneous with tweets/retweets highlighting pedophilia allegations against Roy Moore and saying that opposing pedophilia is not a partisan stance.

Not saying I think Mark did anything hypocritical necessarily (we probably SHOULD hold our politicians to a higher standard than our entertainers — and Chinatown IS a great film)...but particularly in light of the recent reckoning in Hollywood, I thought the timing of all this was noteworthy, and I was reminded of this thread.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Yes, most people don't know that Polanski pled guilty and served his time. He fled the country because the judge changed his mind and decided to change the sentence.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t know that this necessarily clarifies anything, but DKL went a bit more in-depth with his feelings on Polanski and other problematic artists in this recent interview: http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/david-ly ... rebutton-t
albie
Roadhouse Member

Post by albie »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t know that this necessarily clarifies anything, but DKL went a bit more in-depth with his feelings on Polanski and other problematic artists in this recent interview: http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/david-ly ... rebutton-t
So, he is sympathetic to a child abuser? If I'd said that I would be called a troll. :)