Books on Lynch

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Books on Lynch

Post by Novalis »

I couldn't find a topic about books on David Lynch (not specifically Twin Peaks, or a certain film, but generally) so I created one. I thought we could share a few insights or share notes/discuss/recommend things we have read. If this is a doppelganger topic feel free to delete it and point me to the right place.

First post, then:

I notice the forthcoming release (February 2018 in the UK) of a new book about Lynch called Room to Dream: A Life in Art.
Amazon Blurb wrote:In this memoir, David Lynch - co-creator of Twin Peaks and writer and director of groundbreaking films like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive - opens up about a lifetime of extraordinary creativity, the friendships he has made along the way and the struggles he has faced - sometimes successful, sometimes not - to bring his projects to fruition.Part-memoir, part-biography, Room to Dream interweaves Lynch's own reflections on his life with the story of those times, as told by Kristine McKenna, drawing from extensive and explosive interviews with ninety of Lynch's friends, family members, actors, agents, musicians and collaborators. Lynch responds to each recollection and reveals the inner story of the life behind the art.
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books ... 399589195/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/178211839X/
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Books on Lynch

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:I couldn't find a topic about books on David Lynch (not specifically Twin Peaks, or a certain film, but generally) so I created one. I thought we could share a few insights or share notes/discuss/recommend things we have read. If this is a doppelganger topic feel free to delete it and point me to the right place.

First post, then:

I notice the forthcoming release (February 2018 in the UK) of a new book about Lynch called Room to Dream: A Life in Art.
Amazon Blurb wrote:In this memoir, David Lynch - co-creator of Twin Peaks and writer and director of groundbreaking films like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive - opens up about a lifetime of extraordinary creativity, the friendships he has made along the way and the struggles he has faced - sometimes successful, sometimes not - to bring his projects to fruition.Part-memoir, part-biography, Room to Dream interweaves Lynch's own reflections on his life with the story of those times, as told by Kristine McKenna, drawing from extensive and explosive interviews with ninety of Lynch's friends, family members, actors, agents, musicians and collaborators. Lynch responds to each recollection and reveals the inner story of the life behind the art.
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books ... 399589195/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/178211839X/
good idea. didn't know about that upcoming book, i might check it out.

i've read a few books on Lynch, most recently i bought both of Martha P. Nochimson's studies on Lynch - "The Passion of David Lynch" and "Lynch Swerves". it's a fascinating read as she tackles Lynch from a more academic view, and coming up with some very interesting theories and discussion on Lynch's view of gender and culture and how those factor into and shapes his work. i thought especially the first book, which tackles his first period, up to and including FWWM. the second book, "Lynch Swerves", is the one i see more often recommended though. in there she focuses on Lynch's later works, his "puzzle box" films if you will, and interprets and analyzes them from a more metaphysical starting point. it's a good read especially for the very different discussion on "Mulholland Dr." and "Lost Highway" that disregards the more popular dream and hallucinations interpretations. i don't always agree with her, perhaps more often than not i don't, but she makes her points well and is undoubtedly a good writer with a sharp mind. also includes one or two interviews with Lynch.

a very different book which i haven't gotten around to pick up but that seems pretty cool is the collection "Works on Paper".. it's a little pricey though imo:

http://www.adlibris.com/se/bok/works-on ... 3869301303
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Books on Lynch

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I just picked up a copy of the Man From Another Place. Biography of DL. It's unseasonably warm and I will read it at the beach today. I heard it's not that fantastic. I did find it at the used bookstore for $5, so I still feel like it's a good find. Will post my thoughts on it later.

Anyone in Toronto. The BMV books at yonge and eglinton has a few more copies for cheap available.