The Straight Story

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Re: The Straight Story

Post by marchug »

I'd love a Straight Story board...
-23-
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I adore this movie, went to it four times in its original run, even though three of them were at a terrible theater where like 20% of it was shown on the curtains because they couldn't get their projection right. Then it was shown four years ago locally as part of a Lynch retrospective, in 35mm even though the others were BD and DVD projection. It's criminal that it didn't get a wide release, as it could have done well as a family film had it been marketed correctly.

I look at the movie as his view of an ideal world where people are good and true and forgiveness is possible. It's the kind of world characters in some of his other works wish they were in. The fact that he didn't write it (although I'm sure he added his touch on the script uncredited) allowed him to focus on direction, which is flawless. I also consider it Badalamenti's best work on a film.

I'm kind of glad that I don't know more details about Straight's quest, only an article or two instead of a book. So many movies based on the real lives of smaller people change things needlessly, for "dramatic effect". I'm sure that happened with this, and of course with "Elephant Man", but I almost don't want to know too much about the differences between this film and reality.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:I look at the movie as his view of an ideal world where people are good and true and forgiveness is possible. It's the kind of world characters in some of his other works wish they were in. The fact that he didn't write it (although I'm sure he added his touch on the script uncredited) allowed him to focus on direction, which is flawless.
The script is available in book form. DKL didn’t add much script-wise (although he did create the beautiful sequence where Rose watches the sprinkler and sees the boy with the ball — in the script, Rose is simply staring at the lawn). He changed a lot from script to screen, but most of it was paring down, not adding. He cut a lot of extraneous/repetitive stuff to keep the film focused.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

One of Lynch's best films if you ask me! The fact that I saw it as a young boy and was deeply touched by it helps, and it still does. Also Badalementi's best soundtrack as a whole.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Soolsma wrote:Also Badalementi's best soundtrack as a whole.
Yes, at least the best film soundtrack.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Obscure piece of DKL repeat-casting I wasn’t aware of: Apple (the bespectacled hardware store townie) is played by Jack Walsh — who is credited as Raymond Walsh in Eraserhead for playing “Mr. Roundheels,” the Beautiful Girl Across the Hall’s briefly-glimped lover.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Apparently Alvin Straight, by way of Lynch’s film, was the unlikely influence for a reality show: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... grass-race
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Apparently Alvin Straight, by way of Lynch’s film, was the unlikely influence for a reality show: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... grass-race
That's unexpected. Equally unexpected is the director's name, Cosmos Kiindarius.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

:lol: 2020's straight story, now with social media and limousine rides. After I imagined it with Badalamenti's soundtrack, I thought I'd give a preview on youtube a spin. But noooo thank you sir, no.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."