I Love "Catching the Big Fish"

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

I Love "Catching the Big Fish"

Post by Annie »

I realize there's another thread titled, "Disappointed with Catching the Big Fish," but I couldn't bring myself to post there. I just love this little book! I love all the little insights about David chewing pitch and smelling Douglas Firs and being upset about Dune and casting Blue Velvet... I just love this book! (Ok, so I'm a little late but that was because I was so bummed out about the TM issues.) Actually, I think I got my mantra a few years after David did--well, back then they were only $60. But I never learned how...and Nebraska is next door to Iowa! Now, I need to listen to it.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I thought Catching The Big Fish was fantastic too. I'm not sure why people were disappointed because there's more about Twin Peaks and the films in there than I was expecting and the subject matter's more accessible than I thought it would be. I prefer the audiobook to the book because turning the pages every ten seconds can feel slightly labour intensive! I also enjoy hearing DL read because of the emphasis he puts on certain words.

I've only noticed recently that there's really no such thing as a typical Lynch fan. People who like Twin Peaks don't necessarily like the films and vice versa, and people who like Twin Peaks and/or the films aren't always interested in DL's art, or writing on transcendental meditation, or his technique for cooking quinoa... You'd think because this is a David Lynch board people would have lots in common but I honestly don't think that's the case anymore.

It's a shame people didn't give more time to Catching The Big Fish. I found it very rewarding.
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Post by brokentiny »

Hi all
Brand new here and thought this might be the topic to post in.
I too found it very rewarding, but must admit to have bought the talking book. It's great to hear Lynch's voice and the nice little bits of his signature wind (which as nothing to do with gas!!!) is a nice touch.
Cheers
There is something important to be said
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

I like to hear David talking, so i took the audiobook.
I listen to it when i'm tired of music, it's very relaxing. :)
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey, I finally got the audio book on clearance through Amazon! It is truly amazing. I just LOVE hearing David talk!!!
And like I said after reading the book, I love the ideas in the book, too.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.