Lynch Gucci Ad

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dagoavila

apologies

Post by dagoavila »

My apologies for my comment on Lynch doing commercials and how disappointed I was.

It was pointed out to me a list of commercials David Lynch has done over the past 15 years in the same taste as his latest "gucci" add.

It's a footnote in a career to finance the art.

I recently found out that Ingmar bergman directed 9 soap commercials and even another great like Federico fellini has done an add in 1984.

I understand and respect the thought of selling out for a more important purpose...and it is true in regards of product placement in film...lynch has never done it, directing an add is not product placement as IT IS product placement for a PRODUCT.

Just felt I needed to say this, because it took me a couple of hours to see through the smog in my mind.
stuludwig

Post by stuludwig »

thanks for the links dugpa.

on the 'behind the scene' you can see he is shooting film and standard dv here: the film camera held by a steady cam guy, and the tell-tale words 'rolling' give the film side away, - and you can also see lynch shaking his booty and sony pd-150 on some brand of steady stick.

interesting that after all the 'film is dead to me' talk pre-inlandempire the next thing he would do would be film based.
:roll:

but as far as ads can go, lynchs are the best.
Daniel Knox

anyone know where i can get an mpg of this?

Post by Daniel Knox »

so far i've only seen it available as a youtube video.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Re: Lynch Gucci Ad

Post by jina »

the guy is incredible.
i saw this ad on tv and i loved it without knowing it was lynch who did it. it was the only ad that got my attention.
Last edited by jina on Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Re: Lynch Gucci Ad

Post by moviemaker »

Great Ad...

gave me that Lost Highway feeling...

David was referring to product placement in feature films... don't get the two confused. An ad is the product. Taking his words out of context is not fair...

I saw someone mention that he was using the Sony PD 170 mini HD camera for the handheld shots. The big one looks like your typical Arri but could have been Digital as well. More and more spots are shooting with the Red Camera now--even Peter Jackson's new WWI movie was shot with it.

David once stated that with commercials he gets to try out new toys, new ideas and for him it's short and fun. He did add that they pay really well too. This was shot in France where the process of shooting commercials is completely different than in the U.S. (trust me) and in Europe "usually" the director has a big hand in the development of the concept and gets to see it through the final edit. (In the U.S. you execute someone else's idea and usually the director is not invited to the edit--believe it or not.)

Anyway, David is not selling out for making a commercial. It's like calling a novelist a hack if he writes an article for a magazine or newspaper. It's called honing the craft and kudos to him for trying to make something a bit personal that could have easily been crass and commercial.

I think the pretentiousness comes from people who thumb their noses up at commercials as if their too good for it. Everyone's a critic. Especially those that don't create. Some feature directors used to do the same thing to TV show or only shooting on film instead of video. Not David. He never judges things like that. He tries to make it good regardless of the form.