The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive on DVD

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Re: The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive on DVD

Post by John Neff »

As to the original topic of this thread, The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive video transfers were indeed supervised and approved by Dave. The surround audio tracks were direct transfers of my 5.1 theatrical mix. No re-mixing necessary for DVD on those, as the native mix was 5.1.

The Lost Highway video transfer probably should have been redone, as it was done in either late 97 or early 98, when we were working on the Jocelyn Montgomery album, because he would leave the studio to look at the color correction. By the time the DVD was finally released (it was held up on purpose for years by USA Films), the scanning technology had evolved to a higher standard.
But it probably didn't pencil out cost-wise to revisit the video based on the sales projections.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

John Neff wrote: The Lost Highway video transfer probably should have been redone, as it was done in either late 97 or early 98, when we were working on the Jocelyn Montgomery album, because he would leave the studio to look at the color correction. By the time the DVD was finally released (it was held up on purpose for years by USA Films), the scanning technology had evolved to a higher standard.
But it probably didn't pencil out cost-wise to revisit the video based on the sales projections.
Mr. Neff, I am wondering which DVD release of Lost Highway is approved by David? Is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Highway-Bill ... 444&sr=8-8

Also, I have seen that many of his films are being released on blu-ray. Does anyone know if he is involved with any of those releases (except Eraserhead)? It would have been really cool if he had released another box set like the Lime Green set with blu-rays, stuff from DL.com and other things :wink:

Thanks.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Hi, Christian. Lost Highway was released on DVD after I left Lynch's and moved up north, so I never have seen it or gotten a copy.
Can't help ya on that one.
I don't have a Blu-Ray player or any such discs, so cannot comment on that either.

I do still maintain a friendly contact with Dave, but we never discuss those sorts of things and I would be uncomfortable asking him.
I am sure someone will chime in here with better information than I have.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

John Neff wrote:Hi, Christian. Lost Highway was released on DVD after I left Lynch's and moved up north, so I never have seen it or gotten a copy.
Can't help ya on that one.
I don't have a Blu-Ray player or any such discs, so cannot comment on that either.

I do still maintain a friendly contact with Dave, but we never discuss those sorts of things and I would be uncomfortable asking him.
I am sure someone will chime in here with better information than I have.
Thank you very much for your reply, John. I understand. Maybe someone else have the answers.

Best regards,
Christian