David Lynch photograph

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

chris s

David Lynch photograph

Post by chris s »

Hi, longtime lurker so forgive me for hawking my wares as my first post.

I'm a photographer & had the pleasure of photographing David during his recent visit to the UK & am selling prints to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research - my brother recently ran the New York marathon to raise money for this & part of the proceeds will go towards his sponsorship.

Anyhow, on ebay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0204352823

Like I say in the blurb it was amazing to meet & photograph him. I've loved his work ever since Twin Peaks was on & saw Blue Velvet around the same time. Coincidentally that was the time I first took up photography & ever since then whenever anyone asked me "who would you like to photograph the most?" he would be the immediate answer, *way* above anyone else. It still hasn't sunk in that I've done it.... :D

Anyone interested in reading about the shoot should go to my blog on here http://www.myspace.com/chris_saunders. There's some more shots from the session on there. It was quite a day..

Cheers.
x
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey chris, welcome to the board. That picture is super-cool, but how did you get past security? (I can't read the myspace blog.)

Come back and chat!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
chris s

Post by chris s »

Hi Annie

Thanks, glad you like the pic. There's some more as well as this one on my website - http://www.chrismsaunders.com if you have a look around, 1 on the front page, 1 in the portraits & 1 in the recent.

As for getting access, thankfully it wasn't as stressful as trying to get past security. Like I said before I'd been wanting to photograph him for years & so a few years back I started making a concerted effort to do so, so I emailed the Davidlynch.com & Foundation websites. The chances of me getting commissioned to photograph him were, I thought, very small so had nothing to lose by going the fanboy approach & asking. Anyway I've been in touch with his people for about the last year & a half after they were very positive about me photographing him. It nearly came off earlier this year when he was over with Inland Empire at the NFT but it got pulled the day before because of shortage of time (imagine how gut wrenching that was!). Then just before he came over last I was asked by the Foundation to photograph his talk in London at the LSE & I'd get to take his portrait into the bargain. Rest is history. I'll post some of the talk ones later.

Puzzled as to why you can't read the blog, what does it say when you try?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Sorry, chris, I couldn't see the myspace, but I can see your own web page just fine. You really have some great work on there; I can't believe they paid you to take the picture. Is David using it somewhere special?
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Post by brokentiny »

Really nice portraits Chris,
I love the Michale Palin one's too.
There is something important to be said
chris s

Post by chris s »

Thanks brokentiny, I was very pleased to have photographed him as well, Life Of Brian is one of my favourite films ever.

Annie, I think the pics from David's talk in London are being used in the Foundation's next newsletter. Not sure what's happening with the portraits, I haven't heard whether David even likes them or not

Oh, and Happy New Year!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Very nice, chris! It must have been really exciting for you.
Happy New Year to you, too!
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I see on you Myspace page that you want to photograph Twin Peaks' stars.I'd like a portrait of them now in comparison to then (I mean when TP was being filmed).
edenweaver
Roadhouse Member

Post by edenweaver »

nice photos Chris!