Lynch, Frost and Marilyn Monroe

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Double Identity

Lynch, Frost and Marilyn Monroe

Post by Double Identity »

For years now I've thought that it would be great if David Lynch made a movie about Marilyn Monroe and my jaw hit the floor when, on the new box set, they mention that in the late 80's he was considering making a movie called The Goddess all about her, with Mark Frost.

Does anyone have any further info on the project they were planning on carrying out and why it didn't come to fruition?
Fan since 1990!
Daniel Knox

Post by Daniel Knox »

here's some info i found:

GODDESS: THE SECRET LIVES OF MARYLIN MONROE was written with Frost in 1987 and based on a book by Anthony Summers. Lynch was quoted about the project as saying:

"I always, like ten trillion other people, liked Marilyn Monroe, and was fascinated by her life. So when this came along I was interested, but, you know, what's the drill? I got into it carefully...We met with Anthony Summers, who wrote the book. The more we went along the more it was sort of like UFOs. You're fascinated by them, but you can't really prove if they exist. Even if you see pictures, or stories, or people are hypnotized, you never really know. Same thing with Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys and all this. I can't figure out even now what's real and what's a story. It got into the realm of a bio pic and the Kennedys thing and away from this movie actress that was falling. I got cold on it. And when we put in the script who we thought did her in, the studio bailed out real quick."

Goddess revolved around the last few months in the life of Marilyn Monroe, though the character's name is changed to Rosilyn Ramsay for legal reasons. The story made the claim that Bobby Kennedy (changed to Phillip Malloy, again for legal reasons) killed Marilyn. Once the producers heard that, they dropped the project.
Double Identity

Post by Double Identity »

Wow thanks very much Daniel. That is seriously interesting. The Goddess bio is flawed in many areas so maybe it was a good idea they didn't go with it however I think Lynch could do an excellent version of her life whether based on that book or not. It doesn't even have to be a bio pic. With a little time and inventiveness I am sure they would have been able to bring something new to the party. The duality element is already there for Lynch - with the Norma Jeane/Marilyn Monroe element. It's a shame it was not pursued further. Thanks again.
Fan since 1990!