RIP: HD-DVD (2006-2008)

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

RIP: HD-DVD (2006-2008)

Post by kerplooey »

(I know HD DVD was created before 2006, but since that's the year it hit the mass market, and it shows how incredibly short-lived the format was, I like that one for a birth date)

So this is it. The format war is over, and Toshiba officially gave up HD-DVD production...

I know this is not directly Lynch-related, but I thought it could be interesting to discuss it here: since the only high definition commercial Lynch releases were, to my knowledge, on HD-DVD (Dune, The Elephant Man and Mulholland Drive) while nothing was released on Blu-Ray, do you think this is good news for future HD Lynch releases? Now that Blu-Ray owns the market, does it mean the current HD transfers will shift to this format right away, hopefully followed by the rest of the back catalogue in the months to come, or do you fear some of those titles might just become another Industrial Symphony #1 , On the Air or Hotel Room, i.e. get lost in limbo during the format upgrade?

Plus, would you recommend getting the exisiting Lynch HD-DVDs right away before they disappear from the stores? (if they haven't already: I was stunned by the speed at which shops have managed to remove all HD-DVD players from their shelves in just a couple of days), or will those versions just look like some anal fans' memorabilia? (at least the Laserdisc format, as pointless as it has become, has the big advantage -as a piece of memorabilia- of offering a really decent cover art size)

Or did you just decide to give up on the "image definition worship" trend and get used to lower def? (after all Inland Empire took some getting used to, on the image quality level); cinema lovers will probably have to hold on to their DVD's for a while anyway, even if Hollywood goes all Blu-Ray: it took some time to get an almost complete filmography of some great directors, like Lynch, Cassavetes, Bergman, Almodovar... on DVD, and I really can't see the same titles shifting to a high def format before years.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I thought of posting this too,but i didn't have much time.Anyway,i think that we should wait for Blu-Ray versions to be released.I don't think it's worthwhile to buy a HD-DVD player for only three movies,escpecially when the MD release is terrible.