What's Lynch up to?

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

james
RR Diner Member

What's Lynch up to?

Post by james »

Good day to this board! I never even knew it existed until it was mentioned on the Twin Peaks Gazette board, but for two boards to exist of this quality (not going to say which is best of course) goes to show something, right?!

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what Lynch is up to and possibly what his next film or suchlike would be? It's been mentioned that his website is not active at the moment, is something going to pop up there? Is he working all year on the Consciousness stuff, the Transcendental Meditation?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Right now, Lynch is editing a documentary about his recent world tour to promote TM and his visits to many politicians to build Invicible Universities in major cities all around the world.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Is that all he's doing?

I would certainly be interested in such a documentary but he must be up to more than that.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I think his next project will not be a movie in its tradiotional sense.He has to overcome his own self to produce something more original and passionate than IE.Perhaps he will return to Industrial Symphony days and shoot a multimedia performance in digital.His past obsessions (like shoes) really seem to come up again now.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

INLAND EMPIRE wasn't a movie in the traditional sense...

So you're saying he's possibly going to make a stage version of the ON THE AIR episode that centred on shoe fetishism?

I never knew Lynch had a thing for shoes, where did you hear that?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

His photographs have centred on shoes on more than one occasion. Other people will be able to tell you more. He definitely has a thing for them. The Twin Peaks pilot might be the most obvious filmed case.

To answer your original question, my guess would be the documentary Teo mentioned, but with music and painting to fill his schedule. Btw, have you ever edited a film? It takes a lot of time! You can spend days and days just editing an amateur digital short.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

james wrote:INLAND EMPIRE wasn't a movie in the traditional sense...
When saying a movie in its traditional sense,i mean it is filmed like a movie and not referring to its structure and script.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I can't stand more TM,i've heard those things in numerous interviews, i prefer a documentary only about his paintings and sculptures.But i'm starting to suspecting it's working,because DL would have been tired or repeating himself.But,wasn't the interviews regarding MH repetitive?

P.S. I am just kidding.Although,it is interesting that he thinks TM can change the world.We don't take the decisions,are leaders do.Even if they practised TM,i think that they would prefer to stick to their positions and continue to earn money making wars.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

I have edited a film before, but I had little patience and definitely rushed it!

Don't think Lynch should spend a year on it though!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

No one thinks he'll spend the whole year on it. Just a while. And last summer he assisted the Twin Peaks material, he paints, etc. etc. He had a big solo exhibition in 2007. Maybe he'll try for another one later this year, I don't know. Music takes a lot of time too. He'll stay busy, I'm certain.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I think he spends too much time promoting his movies and TM.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

He had to promote INLAND EMPIRE a lot because there was no studio doing the work for him, maybe.

Watching an advert for the Bionic Woman series over here in the UK Miguel Ferrer features noticeably. This made me think that Twin Peaks really did feature the strongest group of actors Lynch has worked with, in my view. Ferrer was brilliant in Twin Peaks, sadly lacking in FWWM when he could have been used a lot. Then there was Kyle, Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie, Al Strobel, to name only a few.

I did think INLAND EMPIRE showcased the most impressive range of actors for Lynch in a long time though.

Makes you wonder why Lynch doesn't use some of the greats like Ferrer again, since they seem to work in TV predominantly.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I agree the cast of Inland Empire is very good. Granted, a lot of it is Laura Dern, but Theroux, Irons, Peter J. Lucas and the guy who plays The Phantom are great too. Some nice smaller parts too, like the suitably intense Julia Ormond and the wonderful cameo by Diane Ladd. All in all very good.

But since you bring up Ferrer... I feel that it is because Albert Rosenfield is not really a David Lynch creation. I think Frost invented him. Sure, they did it together, but think about it this way: in intelligent TV shows like "Hill Street Blues" (where Frost worked as writer, director and story editor), Albert would have fit perfectly. Now look at the rest of the Lynch filmography. There are no characters that even vaguely resemble Albert in any shape or form. The reason why Lynch was attracted to Frost as writing partner was that he could reach a place of commercial (in the good sense) and snappy dialogue that could take his work in another exciting direction without dumbing it down. In the same way Frost recognised that if guided by Lynch he could write a really exciting and new long narrative that there's no room for in the police series/soap opera tradition he was writing in at the time. You can't really compare Twin Peaks to the rest of Lynch's filmography in this sense. It's the only place where the Albert kind of dialogue has a place, and that's because to a large extent Frost (and Peyton) wrote the dialogue.

Or to put it another way, can you imagine Miguel Ferrer in Inland Empire? 'Cause I can't. Just some thoughts.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Yea dude I could imagine Miguel Ferrer in INLAND EMPIRE or any Lynch project really. But not as Albert Rosenfeld. Unless the FBI were called in to investigate something. But then without a contrasting character like Cooper or Harry then Albert doesn't work.