David Lynch is in my bathtub / Inland Empire Premiere...

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mike retter

David Lynch is in my bathtub / Inland Empire Premiere...

Post by mike retter »

Inland Empire is finally getting its prem in Adelaide Australia.
A two minute short "David Lynch is in my bathtub" will be playing on loop
in the cinema Lobby. The Mercury Cinema is playing it thurs 3rd, fri 4th and sat 5th at 7:30.

For those of you who do not live in Adelaide and have propberbly seen IE, go to this link to see the two minute paint-film "David Lynch is in my bathtub". I made this with footage shot two years ago and edited it for the IE premiere. The link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYsehfw_9Rg

Your feedback would be apreciated.

Thankyou all

Mike Retter
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I love it! Wonderfully creative. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
mike retter

Thankyou!

Post by mike retter »

Thank you. I am influenced by Lynch's early work such as the men getting sick sculpture he made with movement provided by an animation projecteed onto it. I hope people continue to talk about Lynch and Cronenberg. The comparisen is fair in the sence that they are both good directors.

If you really want to see somwething weird (if you are not familiar with "outsider music" you may be scratching your head with this one) go to my other video about Australian Rapper "Space G"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qgsLUxGi8

I am seeing IE for the first time this week. I have waited years. Years ago in the peak of my Lynch fandom I was almost afraid to go see it because I was in such antisipation. Now I am a lot calmer and will be able to just watch the film which is always best. It is also the first time I will see a Lynch film in the cinema! and this is his first film shot on video.

Mike Retter

David Lynch is in my bathtub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYsehfw_9Rg
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Post by brokentiny »

Hey BTW Mike,
Nice to see another Aussie on the forum.

Nice work there, weird coincidence too...I was just working on a sound project using electrical hums not unlike the sound you used for that piece.
I'm currently here in Montreal making a simple installation where the 50hz hum we have back home is playing off against the North American 60hz hum. I've done a work (still in progress) called "Until We Sleep" that makes a musical triad out of three detuned 50hz hums. This is all inspired by Lynch and his work with Alan Splet.

P.S. I think you will like IE!
There is something important to be said
mike retter

Sounds

Post by mike retter »

Yeah that is interesting. The soundtrack is Lynch inspired along with Splet. I like the soundtrack of Eraserhead for it's constant un-escapable noise. That could be partly a technical issue as well as sound design but it works great. I think Eraserhead works best of all his films (I have not yet seen IE, I am going tonight) because of the thick atmosphere. This is the sound and look.

Your instalation sounds interesting and I think I kind of know the hz thing but not totally. I norice different sounds from my TV when you change it to NTSC. Where in Montreal is the installation? Is it visual as well? and one other question, what do you do in AUS? (more art ?) Great to hear of creativity in this forum and good luck with the results. I have some paintings about television in display at the moment.

Mike Retter
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Re: Sounds

Post by brokentiny »

mike retter wrote:Yeah that is interesting. The soundtrack is Lynch inspired along with Splet. I like the soundtrack of Eraserhead for it's constant un-escapable noise. That could be partly a technical issue as well as sound design but it works great. I think Eraserhead works best of all his films (I have not yet seen IE, I am going tonight) because of the thick atmosphere. This is the sound and look.

Your instalation sounds interesting and I think I kind of know the hz thing but not totally. I norice different sounds from my TV when you change it to NTSC. Where in Montreal is the installation? Is it visual as well? and one other question, what do you do in AUS? (more art ?) Great to hear of creativity in this forum and good luck with the results. I have some paintings about television in display at the moment.

Mike Retter
The installation will be a small test version shown at the Auberge Alternative, a small art-based accomodation in old Montreal. It willl involve the viewer (and listener) to lie on the floor (in a human shaped outline) looking up at the roof. Either side of their head will be speakers playing the humming soundtrack moving across the stereo spectrum. Up on the roof will be a black background, with lots of small flickering lights and a few more prominent ones forming the Southern Cross. When I show it back home, the prominent ones will make a Canadian specific star system/symbol. The piece is called "The Lull/l'Accalmie"

Yes I'm an artist working in video, sound and installation. I'm currently into my last year of a PhD in time-based media. I teach electronic media a bit.

I agree that one of the strongest elements of 'Eraserhead' (most of his films in fact) is the sound and has influenced me a lot. The first Lynch film I saw some 26 years ago 'The Elephant Man' had a very profound effect on me...I could hear the sound of industry and pounding machines in my dreams!!! Mind you I grew up on the North West coast of Tasmania so that might explain it.
mike retter

Art-based accomodation

Post by mike retter »

What is art based accomodation ? Is a place you can stay if you make art there? The experience you are trying to generate is very interesting. That would be very meditative.

Mike Retter
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Re: Art-based accomodation

Post by brokentiny »

mike retter wrote:What is art based accomodation ? Is a place you can stay if you make art there? The experience you are trying to generate is very interesting. That would be very meditative.

Mike Retter
Ha sorry, that was a little vague. Essentially the place is an independant Hostel, but the woman who runs the place is a Tasmanian artist (she was actually an student of mine a few years back) and she has set up a small exhbition space and wants to have the place exhibiting works and showing electronic media on the common room's big widescreen TV. We are helping her achieve this whilst we're here.

Yes the idea with the piece is pretty much meditative, I hope so anyway.
mike retter

Re: David Lynch is in my bathtub / Inland Empire Premiere...

Post by mike retter »

This is a crude website I am working on. The home page has the David Lynch in my bathtub film. In the Gallery there is a propper version of Videodrome Hands. The paintings are in exhibition here in Australia but you can see them online. Here is is the site http://mikeretter.tripod.com