Lynch in Paris to launch "the big fish"

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Lynch in Paris to launch "the big fish"

Post by Hervé Love »

David Lynch will be in Paris on monday the 5th of may to launch the french version of "Catching the big fish" (*).
A party is organized at "Le Divan du Monde" (once again !!!), very nice place which organized last weeks some Lynch events. (Julee Cruise concerts, Twin Peaks concerts...).
David will be there.
As he did last month, cellist Jean-Philippe Audin (**) will direct an instrumental ensemble playing the moviesoundtrack of "Twin Peaks".
Then David Lynch will be interviewed on stage about his book.

http://www.myspace.com/lebeofestival

(*) french title is "Mon histoire vraie", reminding "Un histoire vraie", french title of "A true story"
(**) http://www.myspace.com/jphaudin
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Lynch in Paris to launch "the big fish"

Post by dugpa »

Great news! I wish I was in Paris. 8)
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

Damn. I AM in Paris, but this is a private invitation only event, and obviously, I wasn't invited.
Too bad, I'd have paid good money to be there. Your loss, Divan du Monde :x
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I STILL want to come to Paris! What does it take to get invited to these things?

Oh, and I love Jean-Philippe Audin's music; any of you heard it live? Can you recommend the jazzy stuff at Amazon.com? I don't want to get the cello music.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

It's time for you, Annie, to come to Paris !!!
But... Lynch's party is now "sold out", according to the Divan du Monde.
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

French promotion tour is starting today !

After "Le Divan du Monde" tonight, David Lynch will sign his book :
- on tuesday 6th of may at "Drugstore Publicis", 133 avenue des Champs-Elysées (19h)
http://www.publicisdrugstore.com
- on wednesday 7th of may at "L'arbre à lettres", 62 rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine (18h30)
http://www.arbrealettres.com/
- on wednesday 7th of may at "La Hune", 170 boulevard Saint-Germain (22h)

He is also invited on tuesday 6th of may to "Le Grand Journal" of TV Channel CANAL+ (19h10).
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

Thanks for the dates Hervé, I hope I'll be able to catch him at one of those. I hope you had a good time tonight, by the way, I think you were at the event, right?
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Sure ! The party was very nice.
The evening started with the concert of Jean-Philippe Audin's instrumental ensemble.
They played 7 or 8 famous titles from the moviesoundtrack of Twin Peaks.
The atmosphere was so typical with a red velvet curtain behind the band and sweet lights.
Afterwards, Lynch came to the stage to answer to some questions about TM, cinema and... coffee.
During the interview, the band was still playing music... It was really magic !
Then, David Lynch signed the french version of his book.

Someone has already posted some extracts here (poor quality) :
http://www.dailymotion.com/cluster/crea ... s_creation
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... h_creation
But sure there will be some better quality films in the next few days. There were some professionnal cameras at "Le Divan du Monde" yesterday...
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for the videos! It does look really cool with the music playing in the background. I definitely want to get some music by Jean Philippe Audin--can you recommend any CDs?

Can't wait for more...
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

Hervé, did Lynch speak about the deleted scenes for Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me? I was thinking that since MK2 is in France, there surely must have been a question regarding Twin Peaks during the Q&A...
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

I shook David Lynch's hand!!! I am on a complete fanboy high right now. Actually I feel like a 15 years old girl who's hugged one of the Beatles...

That fanboy high is not a good thing when you try to speak to the one filmmaker you admire most, though. When I started talking, I was so nervous the sounds that came out of my mouth were everything but words. I wanted to ask him if the latest Region 1 DVD of Lost Highway was actually made from the transfer he supervised, and I opened my mouth and started like this:
"David, I was woundwing if ze wudjoun what DVD that...er..." at this point, mr. Lynch, who was signing my book when I began the sentence, looked at me and shook my hand, and I actually wondered if this was an attempt to convey that I'd rather stop talking.
Still, I must have finally managed to mumble something that remotely sounded English, because he answered that he did do a colour correction, but that was a long time ago, and they finally released this DVD with zero extra, without showing it to him.
"So you don't know for sure if this is the actual transfer they used?
_ No, they haven't shown it to me"
I then went on to ask him if he knew about the work of graphic novelist Chris Ware because, you see, I had put in my fanboy head that, if he doesn't know about him, my favourite director might really enjoy reading one of my favourite comics in the universe, namely Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid On Earth. He told me that he didn't know the name but if he saw some of his artwork he could tell me if he's familiar with it, so I got out my book and, as he was flipping through it, telling me that he likes black and white comics (rather than this coloured book I just gave him, I guess, d'oh) but his work still looks really good.
"Oh, he is", I replied, silently savouring the small victory of being able to utter two English words, basic as they may be; give me 5 hours with Lynch and I'll probably be able to make a real conversation.

When I told him the book was a gift, he smiled and thanked me with a second firm handshake that felt really sincere and gave this fanboy a genuine happy memory that I'll probably treasure to my grave.

Now that probably sounded really silly, but I warned you, I turned into a teenage groupie as soon as I was standing before him, and I have to say sincerely that meeting him in person, you suddenly have the feeling that you are in the presence of a genuinely kind soul, who looks at you like you are a real person who are probably very interesting even though you're just really "signature #1598" and you can't lign up 3 English words to save your life.

The funny thing is, I really almost didn't go because Lynch's artistic output has been so meaningful to me from day one, I wasn't sure I wanted to be in the presence of their creator, knowing that if for some reason I ended up having a bad impression (book signings aren't always a perfect event), I didn't want this kind of random event to taint my perception with the art.

Well, really, the one "unsettling" thing about him is that strong feeling you have to be near a genuinely decent and giving human being, which really seems to conflict with the sometimes tortured and disturbing nature of his art.

OK I'll shut up now, but, wow. If there's a signing near your place and you're not sure you want to go because you'll stand in line to just have a handful of seconds with your favorite director and how could anything meaningful happen then, just go. I'm really glad I did and I mostly made a fool of myself. Chances are you won't.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Great story, kerplooey!!! Chances are we'd all act the same way! :D
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

Great story kerplooey. I'm also a big Chris Ware fan. Jimmy Corrigan is one of my favorite books of all time.