Beautiful Dark - new book on Lynch coming out this year

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Beautiful Dark - new book on Lynch coming out this year

Post by dugpa »

I hope to have a review to the book soon. It will likely be right before the release, but I will definately try to get it up. It's been taking me some time so get through the book as my health hasn't been too good in recent days.

As for the Lime Green Set, it's highly unlikely that I will get an advanced review copy due to the high msrp, but I will try. Getting early review copies has been pretty hit and miss. In the case of the Gold Box, I was sent a copy to review and one to give away. For Mulholland Drive, I tried every angle I could work but couldn't grab a copy of that or Lost Highway to save my life.

If I don't get a review copy, I plan on definitely picking up a copy and will post my thoughts.

-B
lostandfound
Roadhouse Member

Post by lostandfound »

dugpa wrote:I hope to have a review to the book soon. It will likely be right before the release, but I will definately try to get it up. It's been taking me some time so get through the book as my health hasn't been too good in recent days.
-B
Hi there - sorry to hear about your health - hope you're getting better.. Just wondering if you've heard anything more about the release of the book? It's gone past it's 'due' date and I haven't seen any indication that my order from Amazon is due for dispatch..

Looking forward to your review when you get the chance btw..
thanks
"And your blood may have Laura's .. fingerprints on it.."
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I'm planning on posting my review tonight. It's going to get my highest possible recommendation, as it is just THAT good. I'll check around to confirm on the release date.

-B
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

The release date has been delayed a bit. I should have more info in the next day or so. I'll be holding the review to tie in with the release. Stay tuned...
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Too bad that we'll still have to wait until we'll be able to get the book and also the review because I was really looking forward to read the review and I got very high expectations regarding the book.
este

Post by este »

In France, on Amazon.fr, they give us the release date for december, the first

Link Amazon.fr
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

I had an email from Scarecrow press saying the book's available, so I ordered a copy from them directly. The Guardian (UK) was complimentary about Beautiful Dark and called it 'exhaustive'.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Interesting. I am still waiting on an official word. I'm getting conflicting reports on the release date. Hopefully it will get sorted soon. Do you have a link to the review? I'd love to post it.

-B
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

Beautiful Dark was mentioned in an article about the new UK DVD and (limited) theatrical release of Eraserhead, Dugpa. It wasn't a review of the book itself and although review copies must have been sent out for the journalist to have read it, it's highly unlikely the UK media would review a book that had only been published in the US. Apparently the only thing that isn't revealed in Beautiful Dark is the 'secret' of the Eraserhead baby, which I didn't want to know anyway. The article should be available at the Guardian website.

I wrote to Scarecrow Press a couple of days ago asking when the book would be published and since I have no reason to mistrust their reply I shall assume my book's en route to me as I type! The Scarecrow Press is an imprint of a much larger publishing house called Rowman & Littlefield, which may account for the conflicting information.

Anyway, I'm off to loiter by the letterbox (ever the optimist).
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
belacqua

Post by belacqua »

Status changed from "Not Yet Published" to "In Stock" on Scarecrow Press' home page:
http://www.scarecrowpress.com/Catalog/S ... 0810859173

Free to post the review now? :wink:
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ask and you shall receive...

http://www.dugpa.com/index.php#241 - updated link
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Nice review! Can you tell us, were there any Twin Peaks and/or FWWM photos included that you had never seen before? Also, did Angelo talk about Lynch?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

There are a few scattered photos but nothing rare that I hadn't seen before. The book is so filled with interesting stories that it really changes your perspective of Lynch. I think there were a few quotes from Angelo but honestly, there is just so much that I would have to read it again to recall the specifics.

It is a definitely must have book and I don't say this lightly. As I mentioned in the interview that it really takes you back and makes you feel like you are reliving what it was like to be alive when Lynch's works were being released.

The insight is really overwhelming. 5 out of 5 stars. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Right on! I'll have to order that puppy!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
belacqua

Post by belacqua »

Thanks for the review! The book sounds fantastic! :D