Beautiful Dark - new book on Lynch coming out this year

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Leen

Beautiful Dark - new book on Lynch coming out this year

Post by Leen »

A new autobiography of David Lynch is scheduled for publication later this year, called "David Lynch: Beautiful Dark" by Greg Olson. It looks like a bit of an epic is planned, at 720 pages! Advance information from the publisher is available here:
http://www.scarecrowpress.com/Catalog/S ... 0810859173.

Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Beautiful Dark - new book on Lynch coming out this year

Post by Annie »

That's cool, Leen. I tried to fix the url so we could just click on it and it would take you there, but for some reason, it's not letting me do that. So I added a picture of the book, and here's the story...

The Scarecrow Press, Inc.
FORTHCOMING (9/08)

David Lynch: Beautiful Dark
Greg Olson

For nearly 40 years, David Lynch's works have enthralled, mystified, and provoked viewers. Lynch's films delve into the subjective consciousness of his characters to reveal both the depraved darkness and luminous spirituality of human nature. From his experimental shorts of the 1960s to feature films like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive, Lynch has pushed the boundaries of cinematic storytelling.

In David Lynch: Beautiful Dark, author Greg Olson explores the surreal intricacies of the director's unique visual and visceral style not only in his full-length films but also his early forays into painting and short films, as well as his television landmark, Twin Peaks. This in-depth exploration is the first full-length work to analyze the intimate symbiosis between Lynch's life experience and artistic expressions: from the small-town child to the teenage painter to the 60-year-old Internet and digital media experimenter.

To fully delineate the director's life and art, Olson received unprecedented participation from Lynch, his parents, siblings, old school friends, romantic partners, children, and decades of professional colleagues, as well as on-set access to the director during the production of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Throughout this study, Olson provides thorough analyses of the filmmaker's works as Lynch conceived, crafted, and completed them. Consequently, David Lynch: Beautiful Dark is the definitive study of one of the most influential and idiosyncratic directors of the last four decades.

Greg Olson is the Film Curator of the Seattle Art Museum. He has written on film for several publications including The Seattle Times, Moviemaker, Premiere and Film Comment. He has contributed to the books Vietnam War Films and Contemporary Literary Criticism. He is a board member of the Film Noir Foundation and a juror for the American Film Institute's annual 100 Years 100 Movies television programs.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

That sounds fantastic. My bookshelf's groaning under the weight of lacklustre Lynch books from the past fifteen years.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I have a feeling that this is going to be the Lynch book to end all Lynch books. I had met Greg on a few occasions and know that he has put literally YEARS into making this book.

I am definitely looking forward to this book.

-B
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

It is available for pre-order from Amazon,Borders,Barnes & Noble and Target.
Here's the link for Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0810859173?tag ... XT9JE0S66G&
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I hope that the book will also be released over here in a german version I mean a translated version of the book. It sounds like this might be a very interesting book maybe the best book about David Lynch, we'll see.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I was able to obtain an early copy and so far, it is outstanding. It goes far deeper than any book on Lynch that I have read. My favorites have been the Complete Lynch and Lynch on Lynch but I think this book offers a lot of insight that is not covered in the previous Lynch books. I should have a full review before the release.

-B
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Post by RStandfest »

Dugpa,

Does this new book cover any of Lynch's work as a painter? Are there any reproductions of his art, present?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

The book is light on pictures, having mostly rare pictures from Lynch's childhood. I haven't gotten too far but have been skipping around a bit. I'll have some time on my vacation next week to fully get into it.

-B
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

It must be a hardback at that price! Would appreciate that review and the date of publication if you can find out (so I can get on the list at the library.)
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Hey Brian, We're dying to know more about the book! Are there any TP pics included? Is it worth purchasing at such a steep price? Tell us everything!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Still working through it. No TP pics but there are some rare pics in the book. Personally, I'd grab it just for the FWWM chapter alone but that's just me. I'm about half way through and will probably finish it in the next few weeks.

-B
lostandfound
Roadhouse Member

Post by lostandfound »

Hey there Dugpa - any news on what you thought of the book/further comments?
Cheers!
"And your blood may have Laura's .. fingerprints on it.."
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Dugpa - are you planning a proper review of the book? Also, are you going to do a review of the Lime dvd box set? I for one will hold off until I hear your views most likely. I'd ask you in that thread but I'm afraid of getting my head bitten off in there right now.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Jerry Horne wrote:Dugpa - are you planning a proper review of the book? Also, are you going to do a review of the Lime dvd box set? I for one will hold off until I hear your views most likely. I'd ask you in that thread but I'm afraid of getting my head bitten off in there right now.
That is the DVD Transfer Wars thread, similar in size and scope to the Clone Wars. I had the exact same reaction. :lol:
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.