Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Post by dugpa »

Beautiful Dark - New David Lynch Book

Greg Olson has finally set a release date for his book titled "Beautiful Dark". From what I've been told, this will be THE most definitive David Lynch book to ever be released. Here are details from the publishers site:

For nearly 40 years, David Lynch's works have enthralled, mystified, and provoked viewers. Lynch's films delve into the subjective consciousness of his characters to reveal both the depraved darkness and luminous spirituality of human nature. From his experimental shorts of the 1960s to feature films like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive, and , Lynch has pushed the boundaries of cinematic storytelling.

In David Lynch: Beautiful Dark, author Greg Olson explores the surreal intricacies of the director's unique visual and visceral style not only in his full-length films but also his early forays into painting and short films, as well as his television landmark, Twin Peaks. This in-depth exploration is the first full-length work to analyze the intimate symbiosis between Lynch's life experience and artistic expressions: from the small-town child to the teenage painter to the 60-year-old Internet and digital media experimenter.

To fully delineate the director's life and art, Olson received unprecedented participation from Lynch, his parents, siblings, old school friends, romantic partners, children, and decades of professional colleagues, as well as on-set access to the director during the production of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Throughout this study, Olson provides thorough analyses of the filmmaker's works as Lynch conceived, crafted, and completed them. Consequently, David Lynch: Beautiful Dark is the definitive study of one of the most influential and idiosyncratic directors of the last four decades.

The new book will be released around September 28th, 2008. You can Order your copy at Amazon.com and help support this site.

Click to Pre-Order your copy at Amazon.com.

edenweaver
Roadhouse Member

Re: Pre-Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Post by edenweaver »

I'm really excited for this. I was talking to Greg about it the other day and it sounds awesome! I'm pretty sure the cover photo is by Richard (Beymer)... Greg had planned on using one of his photos for the cover. I'll double check on that. :D

Erin
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Post by dugpa »

I remember talking to Greg about it back in 2002. Greg is an awesome guy and I am really happy that he has finally completed his book. I can't wait to read this book.

I'm pretty sure the cover photo is one of Richard's.

-B
WaveCrest

Re: Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Post by WaveCrest »

I've ordered the book from a local bookshop. Fingers crossed they will be able to get it in.
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Re: Order the new Lynch Book "Beautiful Dark"

Post by Mikeindustry »

The book is AWESOME.

I've been a Lynch fan for a long time and have read every other book (and article, etc) that I could get my hands on, and to Greg Olson's credit, this book doesn't rehash the same old stories; even when there is a repeat of an old story, it's told in a new way.

Fantastic book that you can tell was worked on for YEARS.

I was excited to read the bit about the Mulholland Dr premiere at Greg's Seattle Art Museum - I was there for that! Didn't realize our host that night was going to, almost a decade later, write the definative David Lynch book.