David Lynch vs. Werner herzog

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

David Lynch vs. Werner herzog

Post by Teopeaks »

I was just watching a movie by Werner Herzog called "Grizzly Man" (which I recommand) in which the director says

"I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility & murder."

It's interesting to think that both directors have teamed up for "My Son, My Son" having such different views on the world.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch vs. Werner herzog

Post by Robin Davies »

Interesting point, but I think that both directors have shown in their work (rather than their philosophy) that they are equally fascinated by the dark, sinister, strange and surreal aspects of life.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

All I can say is that I love both of these guys movies and I'm already looking forward to their upcoming project.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I think that he will only put money as a producer.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Transcendental meditation-talk of harmony and the like aside, I don't find Herzog's and Lynch's views of life to be mutually exclusive. Keep in mind that it's the common denominator of life in wild nature he's talking about and not life among humans. Yes, his general outlook is bleaker than Lynch's - Stroszek might be the most glaring example - but Grizzly Man is about the folly of the "natural" human being living among dangerous animals. Before civilisation humans were killed by wild animals all the time. That's what he's getting at. I see where you're going with this thread, but it's a different thing. Lynch has never really approached the nature/culture divide in any real way. In Twin Peaks, the danger of the woods is a very human evil, it's not the danger from whatever animals may live there.

Even if you take the generalised view from what Herzog is saying, it's still a different thing. Lynch's scenarios are also filled to the brim with betrayal, violence, rape, child abuse, and murder. That he injects a little bit of hope into the fabric of his films doesn't change the common denominator much.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"