On The Air

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hiab-x

On The Air

Post by hiab-x »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I was one of the global TV watching minority who loved 'On the air' when it first screened. I avidly recorded all the episodes on VHS tape... (You can tell what's coming) Those tapes died along with my VHS machine. Recently I've remembered 'On the air' and really wanted to find a way of showing it to my wife and daughter. An endless trudge of internet complete with disapointments is all I've found. (Yes, I am aware that you can watch sickeningly low quality copies on Yutube)

It looks like there's no available DVD to buy.
You can get a copied DVD complete with Japanese subtitles.
You can download a torrent that has the shows in AVI format (Converted from DivX 5) I have tried this and found that the AVI's are choppy and unwatchable no matter what codec I have installed. This has been quite haert-breaking.
You can get the show in Laser disk (To most people that's as useful as offering a Betamax version!)
Not available from David Lynch.com

I'm all out of ideas and would dearly love to get hold of a decent quality version of the show. Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Matthias

P.S Is it realistic to now completely give up on seeing T.P R2 DVD ?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: On The Air

Post by Jerry Horne »

According to the thread below, Lynch is working on an official DVD release:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=877

Other than waiting, you can score a bootleg off eBay to hold you over...
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hiab-x

Post by hiab-x »

That's 'promising news', and thanks for the info. I would ordinarilly feel excited,however I have patiently waited over a decade (as have most of us) to just see a decent remastering of T.P and have yet to see season 2 in my native R2 format, so 'talking about it' from Mr.Lynch , is something best taken with a pinch of salt. Not that it's his fault that his work has become so underseredly obscure.

In the meanwhile, can anyone comment on the quality of the ebay bootleg of On The Air ?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I have heard that there are two sources for bootlegs that show up on eBay. The Japanese laserdisc (w/ burnt-in subtitles) and the U.S. VHS. Both fairly decent quality.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I am currently in the process of transferring my original 'off the air' (can you see what I did there?) videotapes to DVD. Considering their age, they're in pretty good shape. I have a bunch of what I imagine are pretty rare Lynch-related documentaries, features, etc. from back in the day too. It's just finding the time and wherewithal to get the job done.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

i bought a copy of on the air from super happy video. i think that's what it is called?

it was the japanese laser disc transferred to dvd. i am happy with it. it didn't cost a whole lot. i will definitely buy the official release if that ever happens.

they look great. the only annoying thing is the japanese subtitles and i stop noticing them after about 10 minutes...
-23-
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Check this out. I never noticed this before but in the Pilot, you can clearly see a quick cameo by Angelo...
angelo.jpg
angelo.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 32799 times
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

He is also playing the piano in another episode (or maybe the pilot too) Also, several songs from Twin Peaks turn up in OTA.
keatonshat
Roadhouse Member

Post by keatonshat »

Does anyone happen to have any large scans of the On The Air laserdisc artwork or VHS artwork?
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

I'd like to get my hands on this. Is there any lik to download it? I searched and googled to find On The Air but it didn't work out.
I know bootlegs exist but I don't like to buy them - only official releases.
dl_fan
Roadhouse Member

Post by dl_fan »

Jonatan Silva wrote:I'd like to get my hands on this. Is there any lik to download it? I searched and googled to find On The Air but it didn't work out.
I know bootlegs exist but I don't like to buy them - only official releases.
There are episodes on YouTube (search "DAVID LYNCH On The Air").
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Another OtA cameo I've never seen anyone reference: Lynch is the voice of Mr. Zoblotnick over the phone at the end of the pilot (yelling in Gordon Cole style, but with Vadja's accent: "We have a hit!").
Odnetnin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Odnetnin »

keatonshat wrote:Does anyone happen to have any large scans of the On The Air laserdisc artwork or VHS artwork?
Please tell me you found one. I've been looking all over.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Odnetnin wrote:
keatonshat wrote:Does anyone happen to have any large scans of the On The Air laserdisc artwork or VHS artwork?
Please tell me you found one. I've been looking all over.
Here are some really good high resolution Pictures of the laserdisc gatefold release.. Three pictures in all. looks really nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ON-THE-AIR-Davi ... SwnHZYd5iT
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Prolific puppeteer, children’s TV host, voiceover artist and actor Chuck McCann (a.k.a. Wally Walters / Mr. Peanuts) passed away a few days ago: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 83-1024097

Related, I came across this account of a USC panel on On the Air, in which Bob Engels tells a hilarious story about he and Lesli Linka Glatter “auditioning” McCann’s various stock puppets for the Mr. Peanuts role. There’s also a great story about a surreal meeting between DKL and Bob Iger. Definitely worth a read for fans of the series and DKL fans in general.