Japanese Thing

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DogWater

Japanese Thing

Post by DogWater »

Hi folks. New here, so sorry if this has already been discussed.
I was browsing Amazon Japan and this kept coming up along with Lynch stuff. The cover looks very much like a Lynch design.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%87%E3%82 ... pd_sbs_d_2

Anyone know what the hell it is? The Amazon listing is mainly in Japanese, but I can see that this thing has 4 dvds and was released in 2000.

The suspense is killing me.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Re: Japanese Thing

Post by moviemaker »

Yes, this is the Japanese DVD Boxset... it's been around for a while.

It holds the DVDs when they used to come in a CD-like jewel case. I believe it has Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune, Blue Velvet and.... I think that's it/ All before the special editions of these. Save your money unless you want the box and discs for collector purposes.
DogWater

Post by DogWater »

Oh, wow. Thanks! I'd never heard of that before. It looks lovely but, yeah, I think I'll pass on it just now. Looks like I might need the cash for the lime set anyway.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

A seller on Ebay.com has been hawking one of those Japanese box sets for about a year with no success (possibly due to the larcenous asking price). You can read about it at http://www.lynchnet.com/dvds.html. There's pictures of the artwork running across the top of the page. According to Lynchnet the box set included both the theatrical and TV cuts of Dune, as well as Blue Velvet and Eraserhead. You can also buy Eraserhead separate from the set. All the transfers in the set are LD ports so they are not anamorphic and have a good bit of edge enhancement. I'm an obsessive Lynch completist but it has zero appeal to me.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

DogWater wrote:Oh, wow. Thanks! I'd never heard of that before. It looks lovely but, yeah, I think I'll pass on it just now. Looks like I might need the cash for the lime set anyway.

yeah, save your money. you might need it to buy Arcade Fire stuff. :lol:
DogWater

Post by DogWater »

jina wrote:yeah, save your money. you might need it to buy Arcade Fire stuff. :lol:
Oh, hello! Fancy seeing you here. :lol:

And thanks for the link, DigitalGhost. Hmm, the contents don't look very appealing, do they?