New Johnny Jewel album of unused/unreleased TP score

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

New Johnny Jewel album of unused/unreleased TP score

Post by TheArm »

If TP:TR has made you a fan of Johnny Jewel's (it certainly did for me), he just dropped a surprise new album tonight to coincide with the one-year anniversary of the premiere of S3. It's entitled "Themes for Television" and seems to consist of tracks culled from the 6 hours+ of music he composed for the new series that never ended up being used - https://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/johnn ... television
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: New Johnny Jewel album of unused/unreleased TP score

Post by Jerry Horne »

Sweet!
Attachments
TV+THEMES+3.jpg
TV+THEMES+3.jpg (198.22 KiB) Viewed 26816 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Some of these tracks are great. It does make you wonder how much he knew, or did he title these after he saw the show? Waking Up, Purgatory and to a lesser extent, Tommorow is Yesterday pretty explicitly reference the themes in The Return.

Wow, Red Door sounds just like something from S2's Harold plotline or something.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Interesting how very much music he composed for S3 (esp compared to Angelo, at least as far as we know), but also how little of it was actually used. I wonder if Lynch either asked for a bunch of score and then decided he preferred the drama to play out without it except for a few key places, or if Jewel just did this all of his own volition hoping some of it might be used (considering there are still hours of his unreleased and unused cues still out there).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Listening to 'Shadow (Opening Titles)' almost makes me think it could have been considered as a new opening title theme. And they did perform the real song at the end of the first episode, much like Julee did "Falling" in the pilot.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

TheArm wrote:Interesting how very much music he composed for S3 (esp compared to Angelo, at least as far as we know), but also how little of it was actually used. I wonder if Lynch either asked for a bunch of score and then decided he preferred the drama to play out without it except for a few key places, or if Jewel just did this all of his own volition hoping some of it might be used (considering there are still hours of his unreleased and unused cues still out there).
It was sort of a combination of the two, bust mostly his own volition per this interview
A couple years ago, we released a rough version of the “Shadow” single, a Chromatics song, and Dean Hurley, who is David Lynch’s music supervisor, heard it. He also works with him on his solo albums, and they remix them together. Dean also has some tracks in the series, as well – more abstract score things. So, Dean heard it and was given the task of presenting things to David for what The Roadhouse in 2015 would look and sound like. So, he was suggesting bands to David that he thought appealed to the Twin Peaks universe. So, he put “Shadow” in front of David, who felt it was perfect.

From there, we started a dialogue. I presented things like Desire and Heaven and other projects I was working on. The Desire song I presented, David asked Chromatics to cover, on a whim, at The Roadhouse, which is the instrumental version in “Part 12”. Any time I work on a project, I go all in, and it becomes my world. So, I just began recording more and more unsolicited stuff and kept sending it to David. And he got ears on it, and it just sort of unraveled. It was never the intention to actually submit any score. But, like with Lost Highway or Wild at Heart, there’s a bouquet of artists and composers all interweaving. And it kind of worked out to be a situation like that.

At first, I was a little shy. Angelo Badalamenti is untouchable. His work on Twin Peaks is phenomenal. So, it wasn’t something I was taking lightly at all. I felt compelled to keep recording music and a series of improvisations. I think I sent them about five to seven hours of stuff. In the end, I recorded over 20 hours. I tried to keep it judicious. I knew the show was 18 hours, so I figured, well, five to seven hours of music isn’t a big deal. Of course, I think David wanted it to be modern, more contemporary, more sparse musically, which I think really worked. I’m really enjoying the space, like the negative space, sonically.

So, that’s how it started. I felt compelled to do it and wanted to be involved and contribute to the larger picture in any way that David found useful.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

bowisneski wrote:It was sort of a combination of the two, bust mostly his own volition per this interview
Interesting to see his take, as a musician, on the many scoreless scenes.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

As is often the case with band splits, this comes as a complete shock. I'd been waiting for Dear Tommy for what seems like the same ages and ages as I waited for more TP. :(
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Strange too that it's Miller, Radelet & Walker making the announcement with no mention of Jewel.

Good Jesus & Mary Chain cover on the Closer To Grey album.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Henrys Hair wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:30 pm Strange too that it's Miller, Radelet & Walker making the announcement with no mention of Jewel.

Good Jesus & Mary Chain cover on the Closer To Grey album.
I guess that means Jewel quietly left the band earlier, but it was never announced.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly