Who was it that sang sycamore trees in the black lodge scene

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Who was it that sang sycamore trees in the black lodge scene

Post by kim 13781 »

:D Hi I never found out who the guy was who sang the sycamore trees song when Cooper enters the Black Lodge in the last episode 29 is it on the second season album as I currently only have the first one.
I thought it was a great song and really fitted in with the scene if anyone knows who he was I would love to hear from you
thanks Kim.
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Who was it that sang sycamore trees in the black lodge scene

Post by Jerry Horne »

His name is Jimmy Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Scott

The song is available on the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me soundtrack.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

He actually had quite a following -I have an album of his that does a lot of covers.

The Crying Game and Nothing Compares (2U) comes to mind.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

Thanks guy's I will have to see if I can get these albums.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I recommend his 1970 album The Source. Great collection of songs.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

Thanks i'll take a look
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

The Legendary Jimmy Scott! He is quite a character and great unique singer. To me that Sycamore trees is the epitome of Twin Peaks music and this is saying something. I just love everything in it: Lynch's seemingly naive and bizarre lyrics (he has lots of those), melodies and two upright basses (fingered and bowed), breathy wailing sax and of course Jimmy Scott. I've heard it hundreds of times and it is still fresh. And when I heard it in final episode I was mesmerized. It was so nice to have it on FWWM soundtrack later! BTW if you like FWWM soundtrack I'd suggest to hear Miles Davis's Kind of Blue.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

And just to add something: why is everyone freaked out about James's singing? I think it was perfect TP stuff. How boring would it've been if it would've sounded like elvis or chris isaak? Now it was very eerie and unique, yet it fit to that fifties mood very nice. It also showed great feminine side of James ;)

James gets lots of boos and I can understand that but I kinda liked him. And he is bouncing and doing stuff that isn't very traditional. My little brother loved his idea about "just step on a bike and ride away" :) He is wooden and clumsy but somehow that is heartwarming in biker. Shows the inner little boy. His fits were too much though, I admit.

Evelyn Marsh was a huge mistake. It wasn't even in Twin Peaks, now what was that? We didn't see Josie in Seattle or Jerry Horne around the world either.
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

I know James got a lot of stick for that singing scene and we all have are own opinions but personally I didn't like it but that's just my opinion I'm not having a go at James's character personally just that scene.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Re: Who was it that sang sycamore trees in the black lodge s

Post by tausendsassa »

Hey - I thought I'd resurrect this Jimmy Scott-related thread. I'd be curious to find out how that particular collaboration came about, Jimmy singing "Sycamore Trees" and starring in the show. Was Jimmy a friend of Angelo's, maybe?

The song and Jimmy's appearance in the black lodge are one of the (many) defining Twin Peaks moments for me, it's just pure awesomeness :-)
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

tausendsassa wrote:
The song and Jimmy's appearance in the black lodge are one of the (many) defining Twin Peaks moments for me, it's just pure awesomeness :-)
Big Jimmy Scott, what an unexpected surprise. That performance gets more and more meaningful each time I view the film. I've often wondered how instrumental a role Lynch's film played in Scott's career resurgence (no pun intended).

And, it was a breath of fresh air as compared to "Just You and I". JMO. I try and I try, I just never get there with Little James' and his cambiata; but, ah well, A for effort.
Log Lady lives
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

From David Ritz' book "Faith in Time: The Life of Jimmy Scott":

'Even an appearance on the final episode of David Lynch's widely watched television series Twin Peaks in 1991 wasn't enough to convince music executives of his commercial viability. That appearance, however, marked Jimmy's entrance into the field of edgy art. (...)
"David Lynch had come to the Cinegrill to see me perform," says Jimmy. "He told me afterwards that he liked my aura and had to have me in his show. Naturally I agreed. I wasn't too familiar with the program, but someone said that millions of young people watched it, so I was grateful for the shot. I didn't quite understand the story line. David had me wearing a bow tie and singing to a dwarf."
(...)
As an avatar of post-noir cinematic narrative, Lynch understood something about Jimmy that struck a chord with other artists working on the fringes of conventional storytelling: Jimmy's sense of alienation, of lost love and romantic angst, was captivating.'
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

tausendsassa wrote:"I didn't quite understand the story line. David had me wearing a bow tie and singing to a dwarf."
This might be my favorite quote about Twin Peaks ever.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
tausendsassa wrote:"I didn't quite understand the story line. David had me wearing a bow tie and singing to a dwarf."
This might be my favorite quote about Twin Peaks ever.
HAHAHA!!! I was going to say the same thing! :lol: