Guitar?

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Guitar?

Post by Buck's Student »

Who played the guitar parts for Twin Peaks? Like the baritone guitar on "Falling"?
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Re: Guitar?

Post by gavriloP »

There were couple of guitarists involved with Lynch/Badalamenti productions at that time, I only remember one of them: it was Vinnie Bell, a session guitarist who has quite a discography if you check his site http://www.vinniebell.com/ if I recall right he was more prominent on the soundtrack.

BTW I'm pretty sure he wasn't using baritone but hollowbody electric Jazz/Rockabilly guitar with bigsby tremolo. You know, similar guitar that we see on the series, played by our beloved James Hurley :D

Guitarist is just using lowest strings on that theme. Oh and there is probably some tremolo fx going on too.

EDIT: now that I thought about it little more, maybe it was baritone on that theme! Anyway, it was played by Vinnie. Other cool guitar tracks were with hollowbody... you know those great twangy sweeps, harmonics and tremolo arm stuff.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

gavriloP wrote:There were couple of guitarists involved with Lynch/Badalamenti productions at that time, I only remember one of them: it was Vinnie Bell, a session guitarist who has quite a discography if you check his site http://www.vinniebell.com/ if I recall right he was more prominent on the soundtrack.

BTW I'm pretty sure he wasn't using baritone but hollowbody electric Jazz/Rockabilly guitar with bigsby tremolo. You know, similar guitar that we see on the series, played by our beloved James Hurley :D

Guitarist is just using lowest strings on that theme. Oh and there is probably some tremolo fx going on too.

EDIT: now that I thought about it little more, maybe it was baritone on that theme! Anyway, it was played by Vinnie. Other cool guitar tracks were with hollowbody... you know those great twangy sweeps, harmonics and tremolo arm stuff.
Yeah, I know all about the hollowbody parts... "Just you, and IIIIIIIIIII". :? :!:

But yeah, I believe it was a baritone on the theme. I was wondering, though, because Lynch plays a mean guitar too. Plus, I always thought the guy onstage during "Falling" looked suspiciously like Adrian Belew...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Hey, Buck's Student - have you read my interview with Eddy Dixon?

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yes, the other guy was Eddy Dixon! Interesting controversy there as Vinnie Bell's site also tells that he played on that theme :D Well, maybe there were more versions recorded. On both TP soundtrack and Julee Cruise's Into the night they are both credited as guitarists.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Jerry Horne wrote:Hey, Buck's Student - have you read my interview with Eddy Dixon?

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
Man, that cat is bitchin'! 8)
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

That 2-note 'bum-bum' in the Twin peaks theme and 'Falling' is not a guitar at all, though it probably started life as one.
That was a sample played by Kinny Landrum, according to what Dave told me.

And, Dave did not play guitar at all until 1997, when he did the first dive-bomb guitar-as-sound effect on the track 'Sapientie', on Jocelyn Montgomery's record, "Lux Vivens". He liked that sound so well, it led to the way he played guitar on the BlueBOB sessions. The Lux Vivens guitar had been on loan from the guitar tech of 'Slayer', so we built Dave his own rig, though for the first few years he used my 70s Ampeg V-4 amp. The diamond-shape with cutout custom guitar, aka the 'Blackbird', that he plays was a body design of his own. ESP built the body, and Fernandes did all the electronics and finished it.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i actually just had the pleasure of interviewing kinny and he talked about the creation of that part. hopefully i'll have the piece done next week..
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Brad D wrote:i actually just had the pleasure of interviewing kinny and he talked about the creation of that part. hopefully i'll have the piece done next week..
Really looking forward to the interview, Brad! Did you get the chance to talk to Kinny a second time like you wanted to?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Ross wrote:
Brad D wrote:i actually just had the pleasure of interviewing kinny and he talked about the creation of that part. hopefully i'll have the piece done next week..
Really looking forward to the interview, Brad! Did you get the chance to talk to Kinny a second time like you wanted to?
We are talking next week, things been crazy on both ends.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Looking forward to it, Brad!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

While we are talking guitar...does anyone (ahem, John!...) know how to play the Bookhouse Boys/Bobby Briggs theme? guessing its in a variation of C minor, but i'm driving myself nuts trying to work it out myself. i just cant play by ear :)
thom

Post by thom »

Here's the gist of it...

Code: Select all

Cm                                                                       
               ^                                                                        
     Q    Q    H           W                   Q    Q    H           W                  
E||---------------------|-------------------|---------------------|-------------------||
B||---------------------|-------------------|---------------------|-------------------||
G||---------------------|-------------------|---------------------|-------------------||
D||------------5--------|-------------------|--5------------------|-------------------||
A||-------6----6--------|-------------------|-------6-------------|-------------------||
E||--8---------8--------|-------------------|------------8--------|-------------------||

Duration Legend
---------------
W - whole
H - half
Q - quarter
E - 8th
S - 16th
T - 32nd
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Tablature is something I never learned, even though as a session guitarist I have played on hundreds of records... So cool, Thom.
And Brad, ahem myself, I do not know enough about Twin Peaks music to know the piece you were talking about!
I don't have the CD and I only watched the series sporadically while it was on, and only once in its entirety since, about 8 years ago! Glad Thom jumped in here...
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

John Neff wrote:Tablature is something I never learned, even though as a session guitarist I have played on hundreds of records... So cool, Thom.
And Brad, ahem myself, I do not know enough about Twin Peaks music to know the piece you were talking about!
I don't have the CD and I only watched the series sporadically while it was on, and only once in its entirety since, about 8 years ago! Glad Thom jumped in here...
ha! you would probably remember it if you heard it, it's a pretty starkly memorable riff.

Thom, the two beginning notes are dead on, but to my ear it seems like higher notes in the chord, but pretty close to it, though. thanks!