Julee cruise's Industrial Symphony'

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Julee cruise's Industrial Symphony'

Post by Snogster707 »

A friend once owned this on VHS. I wonder if it will ever be released on DVD, or at least the music released on cd. A wonderful musical adventure indeed.

Edit: did some research and found this:

Industrial Symphony No. 1
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Industrial Symphony No. 1
Directed by David Lynch
Produced by Angelo Badalamenti
Written by David Lynch
Starring Laura Dern
Nicolas Cage
Julee Cruise
Michael J. Anderson
Music by Angelo Badalamenti
David Lynch
Julee Cruise (Vocals)
Distributed by Warner Home Video
Release date(s) 1990
Running time 50 minutes
Language English
Industrial Symphony No. 1: The Dream of the Broken Hearted is a short, avant-garde musical play directed by David Lynch, with music by Angelo Badalamenti and Julee Cruise.
Contents [hide]
1 Overview
2 Cast
3 Tracklist
4 The show
5 In Lynchian culture
6 Versions
7 References
8 External links
[edit]Overview

When David Lynch studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia (PAFA), he made a series of complex mosaics in geometric shapes which he called Industrial Symphonies.
The play was originally presented (twice) on stage at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York City as part of the New Music America Festival on November 10, 1989. It was released on VHS in 1990.

This article may need to be updated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information, and remove this template when finished. Please see the talk page for more information. (September 2009)
The show made its debut on DVD 18 November 2008 in the David Lynch: The Lime Green Set DVD collection.
[edit]Cast

Nicolas Cage : Heartbreaker
Laura Dern : Heartbroken Woman
Julee Cruise : The Dreamself of the Heartbroken Woman
Michael J. Anderson : Woodsman / Twin A
[edit]Tracklist

Up In Flames
I Float Alone
The Black Sea
Into the Night
I'm Hurt Bad
Pinky's Bubble Egg (The Twins Spoke)
The Dream Conversation
Rockin' Back Inside My Heart
The Final Battle
The World Spins
[edit]The show

The presentation opens with Cage and Dern engaging in a telephone conversation, the gist of which is that he is breaking up with her, to her great sorrow. Though they are never named as such, the two characters bear a striking resemblance to Sailor and Lula from Lynch's movie Wild at Heart. The rest of the play is a hallucinatory "dream" that the Heartbroken Woman has.
The show takes place on a stage, the main props being a tall metal girder-like structure, and an abandoned shell of a car, with flickering lights and cacophonous sounds used to disturbing, nightmarish effect. Much use is made of actors suspended from ropes, flying and falling, as well as dancers.
Julee Cruise sings on tracks 1, 2, 4, 8 and 10. These songs are all from her first album, Floating Into The Night (1989), apart from track 1, which is from her second album, Voice Of Love (1993). They are the normal, studio recordings - the songs are mimed. Her voice can also be heard in track 6, in which she gets pushed into the boot of the car. In track 8, the boot opens and she sings from it, her face superimposed on a TV-screen. One recording, "Rocking Back Inside My Heart", is also featured in Twin Peaks (for which Cruise recorded a vocal version of the theme).
Michael J. Anderson (known for his role as the small, dancing Man From Another Place on Twin Peaks) is featured on track 3, patiently sawing a log of wood to Badalamenti's discordant music. He is also part of the stage ensemble on track 5 (instrumental), along with a tall, demonic reindeer-like figure. Finally, on track 6, he reiterates the opening dialogue between Cage and Dern, accompanied by a clarinet-player and a non-speaking actress playing Dern's part.
Track 9 is wholly instrumental, with a background of dolls being lowered from the roof on strings.
[edit]In Lynchian culture

Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. Please relocate any relevant information into appropriate sections or articles. (September 2009)
Julee Cruise starred once more as a [road house] singer in an episode of Twin Peaks. Michael J. Anderson had a regular role as The Man from Another Place in the same show.
Much of the circumstantial music was reused in Twin Peaks.
The unnamed characters of Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern bear a striking resemblance to those played by them in Wild at Heart, where they are also in love.
This was Dern's third collaboration with David Lynch; she went on to work with him once more in Inland Empire.
Lynch frequently makes allusions to specific trademarks that recur throughout his films. This film features the "lumber trademark", when Anderson's character saws a log. This trademark is also prominent in Twin Peaks, where the title sequence features saws cutting wood, as well as the sawmill that is eventually burnt in the season 1 finale. Another trademark is the "blinking lights trademark", repeatedly used throughout the film. Blinking lights usually signify change, more specifically used in Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.
[edit]Versions

VHS: Warner Music Vision (ASIN 6302374065) ; 1990
Laser Disc: Warner Reprise (38179-6) ; 1991
[edit]References

Rotten Tomatoes review
The City of Absurdity
DavidLynch.de
[edit]External links

Industrial Symphony No. 1 at the Internet Movie Database
Industrial Symphony No. 1 at Allmovie
[hide]
v "¢Â d "¢Â e
The works of David Lynch
Films
Eraserhead (1977) · The Elephant Man (1980) · Dune (1984) · Blue Velvet (1986) · Wild at Heart (1990) · Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) · Lost Highway (1997) · The Straight Story (1999) · Mulholland Dr. (2001) · Inland Empire (2006)
Short films
Premonition Following An Evil Deed (1995) · Darkened Room (2002) · Boat (2007) · Absurda (2007)
Television
Twin Peaks · American Chronicles · On the Air · Hotel Room
Other work
Industrial Symphony No. 1 · Catching the Big Fish · Rabbits · Images · Dumbland · The Angriest Dog in the World · BlueBob · The Air Is on Fire · Lynch on Lynch · Surveillance · My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? · Dark Night of the Soul · Frequent David Lynch collaborators
Categories: English-language films | Avant-garde and experimental films | Films directed by David Lynch | Short films | 1990 films | Surrealist films
New featuresLog in / create account
Article
Discussion
Read
Edit
View history

Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Interaction
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact Wikipedia
Donate to Wikipedia
Help
Toolbox
Print/export
Languages
Français
Italiano
Nederlands
This page was last modified on 1 December 2009 at 23:37.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Contact us
Privacy policyAbout WikipediaDisclaimers
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Julee cruise's Industrial Symphony'

Post by dugpa »

They released it with the Lime Green Box Set but no word yet as to a separate release.
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Re: Julee cruise's Industrial Symphony'

Post by Snogster707 »

Dugpa,

Thankyou for this info. I do have the twin peaks DVD set, but it is the basic one, with no extras. Lol, I was too cheap to shell out for the gold box set. Perhaps there may be a kind person who owns the lime green set, who'd rip me a copy of industrial symphony... I'd pay postage costs and would send a dvdr blank...