Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch.com Twin Peaks Music Official Thread

Post by Guy Quenneville »

Cooped wrote:I really want a full version of the track I have always called 'Laura Palmer's Ghost'; the version of LP's theme played in ep 1 during the slowed down picnic video...anyone else a fan?
I'm with you. Can't wait to get this one.
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

Glad I found this board or I would have never knew about all the great new songs on David Lynch.com. I gave up on the David Lynch site years ago as they never updated it. Now that they are putting Twin Peaks content, its like getting the gift that keeps on giving.

So my list:

Sycamore Trees instrumental
Teresa Banks/Trailer Park Theme
Miss Twin Peaks Theme Song
Dick Tremaine Connoisseur of FIne Wine Theme "And we spit"

Oh and I do love the prospect of music from other films like Wild at Heart or Mulholland Drive, but the more Peaks tunes, the better!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

lindseylee wrote:Glad I found this board or I would have never knew about all the great new songs on David Lynch.com. I gave up on the David Lynch site years ago as they never updated it. Now that they are putting Twin Peaks content, its like getting the gift that keeps on giving.

So my list:

Sycamore Trees instrumental
Teresa Banks/Trailer Park Theme
Miss Twin Peaks Theme Song
Dick Tremaine Connoisseur of FIne Wine Theme "And we spit"

Oh and I do love the prospect of music from other films like Wild at Heart or Mulholland Drive, but the more Peaks tunes, the better!
Welcome to the board - Oh, love your choices!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Does anyone else feel like a crack addict, checking the site every half hour to see if there's any new stuff?

There's been lots of talk about what people want. Here are some cues that either haven't been mentioned or not much at all:

-- the bouncy, jazzy music that plays when the pine weasel escapes in episode 24
-- the western fiddle music that plays during Cooper and Truman's raid on One Eyed Jacks, and its more subdued, prairie-music sister, played, for example, during the introduction of Norma's mom and Ernie Niles in the Double R Diner
-- two ominous tracks: one is first heard during the scene in episode 2 when Bobby checks in on Shelly and he sees the bruises on her face. It's also used for Jacques' death scene.
The other, also from episode 2 but reused many times, is the music playing during Bobby and Mike's trek in the woods to the football drop point. It's also played during Jones' attempted murder of Truman.

Guy.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:Does anyone else feel like a crack addict, checking the site every half hour to see if there's any new stuff?

There's been lots of talk about what people want. Here are some cues that either haven't been mentioned or not much at all:

-- the bouncy, jazzy music that plays when the pine weasel escapes in episode 24
-- the western fiddle music that plays during Cooper and Truman's raid on One Eyed Jacks, and its more subdued, prairie-music sister, played, for example, during the introduction of Norma's mom and Ernie Niles in the Double R Diner
-- two ominous tracks: one is first heard during the scene in episode 2 when Bobby checks in on Shelly and he sees the bruises on her face. It's also used for Jacques' death scene.
The other, also from episode 2 but reused many times, is the music playing during Bobby and Mike's trek in the woods to the football drop point. It's also played during Jones' attempted murder of Truman.

Guy.
I'm pretty addicted to checking dl.com all the time. The average time seems to be around 6 days between releases.

There are several "source cues" or background country tunes heard in the RR scenes. The one used at One Eyed Jacks later showed up in a RR scene and one of the scenes at Wallies. Not sure if we'll see any of these released. I'd at least like to see the one that showed up most often (in about six episodes). Its the one that sounds very similar to "Red River Valley".
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

God.. the Nostalgia version of TP theme is just beautiful. It didn't even cross my mind that I wanted this one, but it's my favourite release yet.
nix1980
Roadhouse Member

Post by nix1980 »

Ok, so far this is my opinion of unreleased songs from TP:

Twin Peaks Theme - alternate version:
it's actualy quite nice and I like different approach, but it's too short.
My rating ***1/2

Deer Meadow Shuffle:
Typcial crazy playful jazz music from TP and I really like it. If I like jazz at all, it's because of Badalamenti's music for Twin Peaks.

Just You (instrumental):
This would be really nice if it was longer than poor 1 minute... I mean... come on. It sounds promising with great feel to it, but 1 minute with 10 tones ain't actualy what I need.

Freshley Squeezed:
Wow! This is simply great. The best version so far of all 3 version I've heard. Although I love original version and "Dance of the Dream Man", this one really sets the perfect mood.

Annie and Cooper:
This is simply beautiful jazzy instrumental version of "Questions in the World of Blue". Too bad it's not slightly longer.
****1/2

Nightsea Wind:
This is probably what TP is all about - dark synth music... and this one is really good and spooky.

Twin Peaks (Nostalgia Version):
this is really.... nostalgia :(
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

I've noticed that Twin Peaks Season 1 and the Fire Walk With Me soundtrack isn't on the site but Twin Peaks Season Two is. Is this a copy right issue or do they plan to release them down the road?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

gstueve wrote:I've noticed that Twin Peaks Season 1 and the Fire Walk With Me soundtrack isn't on the site but Twin Peaks Season Two is. Is this a copy right issue or do they plan to release them down the road?
Pretty sure it is a copyright issue at the present time. Warner Bros. owns the original soundtrack and FWWM. So, if they ever wanted to do a complete series soundtrack on cd, they would have to do some heavy legal wrangling.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jerry Horne wrote: Pretty sure it is a copyright issue at the present time. Warner Bros. owns the original soundtrack and FWWM. So, if they ever wanted to do a complete series soundtrack on cd, they would have to do some heavy legal wrangling.
Hopefully that doesn't prevent DL.com from releasing full versions of "Girl Talk" and "Birds in Hell." With any luck, WB only owns the rights to the montage from the soundtrack and not those individual tracks.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Wouldn't it be great if they released a Laura Palamer's Theme bundle that included all the different versions of it that have not been released, including (and add any variations if I'm missing any)

-- the Rhodes (?) version playing in the pilot when Cooper plays the tape of Laura for Donna
-- the keyboard/synthesizer version that plays in episode one over the actual footage of Laura in that video recording, before the image dissolves to Donna coming down her stairs to talk to her mom
-- then there's what I consider to be the classic season one variation of it, a clean version of which has never really been released (it's kind of in the first track of the season two soundtrack, but combined with a number of other textures.) I'm talking about the variation that plays, for instance, in the scene from episode one when Hawk follows The One-Armed Man down to the morgue
-- the version that plays in episode 16, when Donna reads from Laura's diary to Cooper
-- the version that played a lot in episode 23, as when Andrew and Josie share a final conversation
-- the dark version that played in episode 22, when Evelyn and her brother scheme over James' unconscious body ("Don't do this to him!")
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:-- the version that played a lot in episode 23, as when Andrew and Josie share a final conversation
I love this track! Its also heard when James gives Donna the ring, and a variation of it is briefly heard in one of the scenes where Cooper tells Truman about Caroline. I've never thought of it as a variation of LP's theme though. Sounds different to me.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Guy Quenneville wrote:
-- then there's what I consider to be the classic season one variation of it, a clean version of which has never really been released (it's kind of in the first track of the season two soundtrack, but combined with a number of other textures.) I'm talking about the variation that plays, for instance, in the scene from episode one when Hawk follows The One-Armed Man down to the morgue
How is this different from the "Laura Palmer's Theme" featured on the original soundtrack?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

TheArm wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:
How is this different from the "Laura Palmer's Theme" featured on the original soundtrack?
There's a subtle difference in the first part of the theme, before the piano "climax", as Badalamenti called it: whereas the original soundtrack version is all synth, in the show it was often punctuated by the plucking of guitar strings.

Small difference, but to my ear, it's noticeable. Then again, I'm obsessed!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Guy Quenneville wrote:
TheArm wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:
There's a subtle difference in the first part of the theme, before the piano "climax", as Badalamenti called it: whereas the original soundtrack version is all synth, in the show it was often punctuated by the plucking of guitar strings.

Small difference, but to my ear, it's noticeable. Then again, I'm obsessed!
Haha, no, the sad thing is I know EXACTLY what version you're talking about now!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"