Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Guy - I would kill for those tracks! Great choices!
Well Jerry, the good news is that you promised that if "Preparing For MT Wentz" was released, we'd get everything!! :wink:
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Post by Guy Quenneville »

Another idea: an Audrey's Prayer bundle containing all the variations not yet released:

-- the ultra-slow version that plays in Episode 8, when Briggs tells Bobby about his vision, and which returns (appropriately enough) in Episode 19, when Mrs. Briggs reminisces to Bobby about the major just before his return. My personal favourite variation.

-- Leland's Wake/Audrey's Goodbye to Cooper in Episode 17 - clean or with all the added bells and whistles mentioned previously

-- Audrey's Prayer (Earle Flute Version) (Only apperance: Episode 22): On close inspection, Audrey's Prayer got as many variations (Annie and Cooper, Leland's Wake) as some of the classic season one themes (Audrey's Dance, Freshly Squeezed.) Here, it is played on flute by Earle before he delivers the first of what will be many long-winded tirades to Leo. The track eventually gives way to The Black Lodge Rumble (see Episode 8 )
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Ross wrote:
Well Jerry, the good news is that you promised that if "Preparing For MT Wentz" was released, we'd get everything!! :wink:
I have to agree with what Jerry said. As far as unreleased tracks are concerned, "Preparing For MT Wentz" is as obscure as it gets, which bodes well for pretty much everything else that hasn't been released.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

For people whose tastes hew more to the Mysterioso tracks than Mister Snooty, it would be great if they'd release a Danger Theme bundle (and hopefully come up with better track names than me) that could include:

-- Danger Theme (First appearance: Pilot): It registers briefly in the Pilot just as Nadine hassles Ed from their doorstep about picking up the drapes. This music - which, for my money, gets its most memorable (i.e. frightening) iteration in Episode 2, when Mike and Bobby trudge through the dark woods to check the football by the tree - makes many appearances throughout the show, and really gets stretched out in Episode 25, when Jones attacks Truman. I call it the Danger Theme because it always, for me, signified something bad happening or coming down the pike.

It also plays when: Leo calls Shelly out on the cigarettes in their living room (Pilot); when Leo instructs Shelly to do his laundry (Episode One); at the end of the Pilot, when Sarah has a vision of Laura's necklace being plucked from the ground. This particular cue has the bombastic climax of the track.

Also in Episode 8 when James tells Truman about how Laura used to echo Bob and ask him if he liked to play with fire; in Episode 14 when Cooper finds the note on Harold's Smith body; Episode 20, as Agent Bryson and Cooper play out their coup against Renault at Dead Dog Farm, topped off with a brief statement of the heroic version of Cooper's Theme/Dance of the Dream Man (see episode 19) when Hawk announces that Renault is dead; Episode 21, as Eckhardt arrives at the Great Northern; Episode 22, at the precise moment Evelyn shoots Malcolm; and Episode 28, during Earle's invasion of Miss Twin Peaks.

As you can see by some of the episodes it was used in, it was a favorite of Lynch's.

-- 24 Hours/The Evil That Men Do (Danger Theme 2) (First Appearance: Pilot): This is a multi-layered track that begins in the pilot simply as the classic Laura Palmer Theme while Doc Hayward and Donna's mom discuss the day's events. Eventually, some dark,brooding, synch-driven underscore (the part that I'm calling Danger Theme 2) kicks in, and there's a particular fragment, or motif, that kicks in at around 01:11:00 - as Donna talks her sister into covering for her - that is a sort of sister-track to the Danger Theme.

It's not as noticeable as the Danger Theme, but just as dark and dreamy. Most people, when listening to it closely, will recognize it as the music that plays, much longer, at the beginning and end of Episode 16, when Cooper, Truman, Albert and Major Briggs contemplate the nature of evil in the woods.

It gets a brief statements in Episode One, when Sarah sees Laura in Donna's face, and Episode 8, during the TV news segment on the burning of the mill that Shelly watches from her hospital room. In Episode 24, it underscores the moment when the Log Lady tells Cooper about the night her husband died and the call of the owls, and it returns in full force at the beginning of Episode 27, as Cooper interrogates the hitchhiker's friend as the black pan is removed from the gazebo.

--Leo's Theme (Danger Theme 3) (First appearance: Episode One): Played when Leo waits for Shelly to come home before he hits her with the soap bar in the stocking. Most memorably plays during Episode 2, when Bobby sees the bruises on Shelly's face and Episode 7, when Leland kills Jacques.

Returns in Episode 28, as Leo tries to escape from Earle and releases Major Briggs. This episode actually features the lengthiest version of this track, with a lot of material towards the end of its use here that hasn't appeared anywhere else in the show. It ends on a statement of Josie's Fate (see Episodes 7.
Last edited by Guy Quenneville on Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:Another idea: an Audrey's Prayer bundle containing all the variations not yet released:

-- the ultra-slow version that plays in Episode 8, when Briggs tells Bobby about his vision, and which returns (appropriately enough) in Episode 19, when Mrs. Briggs reminisces to Bobby about the major just before his return. My personal favourite variation.

-- Leland's Wake/Audrey's Goodbye to Cooper in Episode 17 - clean or with all the added bells and whistles mentioned previously

-- Audrey's Prayer (Earle Flute Version) (Only apperance: Episode 22): On close inspection, Audrey's Prayer got as many variations (Annie and Cooper, Leland's Wake) as some of the classic season one themes (Audrey's Dance, Freshly Squeezed.) Here, it is played on flute by Earle before he delivers the first of what will be many long-winded tirades to Leo. The track eventually gives way to The Black Lodge Rumble (see Episode 8 )
I would love these. The version used for Audrey's goodbye is probably my number one request right now. I believe the "slow version" heard in the Major Briggs & Bobby scene is exactly that- the original version (that was released on the 2nd soundtrack) just slowed down. I'd also really love the different versions of "Harold's Theme".
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:
Hey! What's this 'promised' stuff!?

I promise to cry like a girl if they stop next week!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
nix1980
Roadhouse Member

Post by nix1980 »

I still can't hear Dark Mood Woods.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

nix1980 wrote:I still can't hear Dark Mood Woods.
I just went to the site and it streams fine for me.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

nix1980 wrote:I still can't hear Dark Mood Woods.
Try to clean your browser's cache.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

qbin2001 wrote:I'm just comparing "Dark Mood Woods" from DL.com and the one that they used in episode 29. It seems that the one in the episode has 2 (or more) layers of this track blended into one. Sounds amazing and much better then the original track.
After many, many listening of both versions - released at DL.com (also used in the "Season Two" soundtrack) and the one included in episode 29, I'm little confused. I can't tell that released version sounds the same as one used in episode. The one in episode have wider stereo field, the sound is MUCH, MUCH MUCH clearer, and the particular parts are in another seqence. Released version have VERY muted, flat sound. Sounds to me like another version - not recorded from speakers, but recorded again in studio.

There are two explanations: there is another 'studio' version of this track (that is not in the archive) , or sound engineers did fantastic job on filtering, cleaning and remastering this track, and result was used in the last episode.

I'd kill for version used in episode! But I think hat DAT version is out of reach (probably CBS has rights to it).

I really don't know what to think... :?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I can't help but notice it's Monday! What shall we receive tonight?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Jerry Horne wrote:I can't help but notice it's Monday! What shall we receive tonight?
I'm hoping for some FWWM. Maybe Double R Swing or Phillip Jefferies.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

jmichael wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I can't help but notice it's Monday! What shall we receive tonight?
I'm hoping for some FWWM. Maybe Double R Swing or Phillip Jefferies.
Yes, FWWM please!!
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

To paraphrase Team America, everybody loves a (Fire Walk With Me) Montage Pack!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'm going to be consistent and make the same (failed) prediction I've made the last few weeks: Audrey's Prayer (Alternate Version). Maybe I can will it to finally happen. :)

Otherwise, I'm thinking alternate version of Bookhouse Boys.