Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by OK,Bob »

jdh.goodgrief wrote:It sounded to me like it was muted for the CD, to fit with the atmospheric nature of the 'bonus' track. I would have thought a DVD rip would sound better, so surely something could be put together from the original recordings, be they audio or video.
I assume the recording of "It was Laura" on STMM was a mix of the piano mic(s) only, perhaps even miked inside the upright, which is why Gersten's recitation sound muffled and distant...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

OK,Bob wrote:
jdh.goodgrief wrote:It sounded to me like it was muted for the CD, to fit with the atmospheric nature of the 'bonus' track. I would have thought a DVD rip would sound better, so surely something could be put together from the original recordings, be they audio or video.
I assume the recording of "It was Laura" on STMM was a mix of the piano mic(s) only, perhaps even miked inside the upright, which is why Gersten's recitation sound muffled and distant...
That makes sense! I'd like the full thing, when all is said and done.

Now, I've just given Abstract Moods a listen - they sound great! Need to do a side-by-side listen to see how different they are to Night Bells (aside from being longer).

Bring on the other series versions of STM&M tracks!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

jdh.goodgrief wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:
That makes sense! I'd like the full thing, when all is said and done.

Now, I've just given Abstract Moods a listen - they sound great! Need to do a side-by-side listen to see how different they are to Night Bells (aside from being longer).

Bring on the other series versions of STM&M tracks!
I have to confess, I can't quite tell what the difference is, though I don't doubt there is one. Could someone explain what it is? I had always thought "Night Bells" on the STM&M CD sounded like the one from the series.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:I have to confess, I can't quite tell what the difference is, though I don't doubt there is one. Could someone explain what it is? I had always thought "Night Bells" on the STM&M CD sounded like the one from the series.
They are very similar- in fact I'm pretty sure it is the exact same version, but there were elements added to it and altered on the CD. More distortion, heavier guitar noises. So the new released version is basically the "clean" unaltered version that was used in the series.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

What is the list of tracks that were "dressed up" for the Season 2 Music and More CD?
Of this list, do you believe we will get the original version of every one of these tracks?

I'm sad I changed the track name from Abstract Mood to Night Bells but I felt it was best for the kingdom. Sometimes the right decision is not the easy one. :cry: :cry:

Night Bells (Original)
Night Bells (Slow)

Is Shelly Quits the original version of Shelly? If this has been asked before, please don't pelt me with tomatoes. Okay, fine, cherry tomatoes it is.

PS- Almost forgot, of the Archive tracks, what has received the most plays by you? Invitation to Love (Break) has unintentionally shattered records in my household (100+ plays). If I hear that 8 second slice of heaven come on and I'm in another room, I sprint towards my mp3 player and change to the next tune as fast as I can. I wanted Owl Cave to have the title of most plays. Alas, Invitation to Love has its time advantages. Blink and it's come and gone and the next song has already started. Damn you, Invitation to Love (Break)! :lol:
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Yes, it was called Shelly Quits on Angelo's MySpace page before the Season 2 cd came out.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

coolspringsj wrote:PS- Almost forgot, of the Archive tracks, what has received the most plays by you? Invitation to Love (Break) has unintentionally shattered records in my household (100+ plays). If I hear that 8 second slice of heaven come on and I'm in another room, I sprint towards my mp3 player and change to the next tune as fast as I can. I wanted Owl Cave to have the title of most plays. Alas, Invitation to Love has its time advantages. Blink and it's come and gone and the next song has already started. Damn you, Invitation to Love (Break)! :lol:
Nightsea Wind for me - 145 plays so far!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

coolspringsj wrote:PS- Almost forgot, of the Archive tracks, what has received the most plays by you?
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 7.42.17 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 7.42.17 AM.png (28.57 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Expect to see some LPT piano versions cracking that top 20 pretty soon...
Attachments
TP Archive chart.jpg
TP Archive chart.jpg (160.62 KiB) Viewed 9302 times
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

In order 1-10 currently

Invitation to Love (Break)
Owl Cave
The Woods
Laura Palmer (Ghost)
James Visits Laura
Harold Smith (Living Novel)
Back to Fat Trout
Behind the Mask
Secret Lives
Ceiling Fan Above Stairs

I love how we all have different names for certain tracks in our own collections.

Jerry, cool list. What track is Major's Vision? I love that title. Also, what is Message to Windom?

Of course my top plays are the darker tracks with the exception of numero uno (which sneaks by me because I always listen on shuffle) :roll: :roll:

It's just neat seeing what people have listened to the most with some maybe not even necessarily being their favorites.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Message from Windom is a DVD extraction. MV is Audrey's Prayer slowed down 38% and mixed just like it's heard in episode 8. Message from Windom is the final track from Episode 22. Sort of leftovers from when all we had were the first two cd's, the b**ts and extractions.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

Some statistics...

Released themes at the moment:
--------------------------------
The series - 100
FWWM - 21
Outtakes - 8

Unreleased themes at the moment:
----------------------------------
The series, season one (approximately!) - 15
The series, season two (approximately!) - 30
FWWM - 4
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

coolspringsj wrote:What is the list of tracks that were "dressed up" for the Season 2 Music and More CD?
Aside from "Night Bells":
Shelly (additional elements added- I prefer the CD version)
James And Evelyn (aside from the "I'm Hurt Bad" intro, there is additional (very cool) baritone guitar sections [not sure if this is an alternate version, or if the guitar sections were just added to the original])
Audrey (added synth sections- again I prefer the CD version. "Audrey" was only heard once in the series, but is itself actually an alternate version of "Audrey's Investigation" which was used more often, and remains unreleased)
Packards' Vibration (in addition to the added vibraphone intro, this is either an alternate version, or has been altered, as the tv version has an extended ending not heard here)

Of course "Dark Mood Woods" and "The Red Room" were montaged together. And the "Love Theme" farewell and intro were put together for the CD. All others seem to be the original versions.

My number one wish from the Archive right now is "James And Evelyn"- they actually could have released this one with "Night Bells", as that was used with the first two Evelyn scenes. I know this isn't a real popular storyline, but these two great tracks always elevated those scenes for me.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

After listening to the unreleased tracks in the series as of now, Audrey's Prayer (Earle Flute version) is one of the remaining favorites. Strikingly beautiful while also bringing to completion more of the W. Earle storyline tracks. Earle's Theme 2 (Audrey's Walk) is solid and necessary, but not as strong as AP (Earle Flute). These 2 definitely need to be released.

Ben Comes Marching home I'm kind of torn on now. This storyline was way over the top and the music is wildly different from the rest of tone of the series, but I feel it was the writers ode to Ken Burns and is unique to the TP musicverse as well.

Big Band aka Leland's Dance (I hope it's a Badalamenti original) is important and has a darker underbelly to the lighthearted music due to Leland's demons.

Dick Tremayne's theme is short at his intro, but fits his personality perfectly and he deserves to be represented on the soundtrack.

James & Evelyn is actually a really strong noir track, something good that actually came out of the most criticized storyline in TP. A full version of the STMM track is vital.

The REAL One Eyed Jacks Parlour Music makes me thing of Big Ed's dead squirrel wig and magnificent mustache. It is played quite a bit and is associated solely with the "frontroom" scenes at OEJ. Is this track ever played in the RR? Are we missing any other RR tracks?

Dugpas would be funny to be released as an ode to this site. Sounds like one of the many ambient dark FWWM tracks.

I'm surprised Great Northern #4 wasn't released with the GN bundle. Very distinct and lengthy enough track while Annie has a rum and tonic.

Do you think a Red Room standalone exists? If so, there is no telling how long it is. Hope its almost as long as the entire Red Room sequence in the last 20 minutes of Ep 29.

Also surprised the Stairs Music/Danger Theme didn't come with the ending of the track. Will we see another release of a longer version of this theme or this one released all that exists?

I found and listened to the FWWM tracks. I hope we get them, but I'm skeptical that maybe that huge FWWM bundle might be it. Hope I'm wrong. Feel like Dark Boogie (Clean) has the best chance whereas Leland's Remorse and You Killed Mike just sound like ambience. Hard to tell on the Laura (echo background) the differences. Does anyone have a track of just the wind blowing? I would die to have this track. It's perfect to put at the beginning of the FWWM playlist and is frankly such a pivotal and symbolic representation of the TP world as a whole.

And last but definitely not least, I can't believe White Lodge Rumble was played about 35 times. If this is so prevalent, this needs to be first priority to get released. Since the Senor Droolcup scene is so long, I bet this track is long. I have always thought of Giants Theme and Wooden Claps as being a part of White Lodge Rumble. Since it's played so many times, has anyone noticed if there is more than one version or is it one and the same (pun intended)? This track has a darker tone (almost sounding like something that would come from the Black Lodge), however with the Giants Theme aspect and the wooden claps it makes it more mysterious and a part of the unknown as opposed to sinister and evil as the White Lodge inhabitants are trying to help Cooper solve the case/oppose BOB.
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

Big Band aka Leland's Dance (I hope it's a Badalamenti original)
Big Band aka Old Tune
Leland's Dance is from scene Leland dancing with a cane at GN lobby.
Leland's Remorse and You Killed Mike just sound like ambience
Leland's Remorse is possibly (but it's amazing, I wanna it) but You Killed Mike is full-blown slow-speed-orchestra track.
Hard to tell on the Laura (echo background) the differences. Does anyone have a track of just the wind blowing?
Originally I thought it's just blowing but now I guess there is real synth echo line.
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!