Unheard Music from Fire Walk With Me?

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Unheard Music from Fire Walk With Me?

Post by bosguy1981 »

Hi everybody,

I'm a big Twin Peaks fan who has been lurking on these forums for years and finally figured it was time to create an account and join in the discussions.

Like so many of you, I'm loving the Twin Peaks Archive on Davidlynch.com. As I was listening to the instrumental version of "Just You" (which I don't think was ever actually used in an episode), I started thinking about other unheard music that Angelo Badalamenti may have created for Twin Peaks.

And then I started thinking about all the new music he wrote for Fire Walk With Me that was not written for the TV show (Deer Meadow Shuffle, Laura's Dark Boogie, Fire Walk With Me Theme, etc.)... do you think Angelo would have scored music for all of the unseen deleted scenes from Fire Walk With Me? Or does he not get involved until the point that David's final cut is prepared?

I just started to think about some of those missing scenes (the Sheriff's station, Ed & Norma, Truman & Josie, the Packard Mill) and began to wonder what kind of music would play behind those scenes if we ever get to see them one day. And if Angelo was involved in the early stages, before David eliminated those scenes, could there be additional "new" pieces of music he wrote for scenes that never made it in the movie (meaning Fire Walk With Me music we've never, ever heard)? Does anybody have any information on this?
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Unheard Music from Fire Walk With Me?

Post by dugpa »

I had heard (although I don't recall the source) that Angelo writes the music before the scene is shot and that Lynch edits to the music that fits the scene.

I too wonder how many pieces were written and never used. Cop Beat stands out as one.

Also, a little not so well known fact. Evelyn Marsh's theme song was written during Season 1 and only used in Season 2 when trying to find a song that wasn't used did the director of that particular Episode come to choose that piece.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that Badalamenti never scored any of the cut scenes. The composer usually comes in after a movie has been edited, although its possible he may have been involved earlier. I DO remember when Lynch was first talking about releasing some of the cut scenes, he said he wanted to clean them up. Picture, sound, etc., and mentioned that the scenes would have to be scored as well.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Thanks for that information. It's very interesting to hear the Evelyn Marsh music had been sitting around for a while before they ever used it.