Twin Peaks Music Guide - Season 2

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Music Guide - Season 2

Post by Guy Quenneville »

Qbin, here's the new entry for it, which I've added to Episode 7, since, following the style of my guide, that's the first episode that a strain of Josie's Fate makes an appearance.

"-- Josie's Fate: The Laura Palmer Theme gets the most experimentation of all the musical themes in the show, so much so that it sometimes spawns a whole subsection containing similar and yet slightly different variations. One group comes under the banner of what I'm calling Josie's Fate, so called because arguably its most well-known variation becomes the dominant musical identity of Episode 23, in scenes that depict the declining prospects of Josie. (This same variation is played in Episode 16, when James gives Donna a ring).

In this episode, Episode 7, another string of Josie's Variation appears as Pete anxiously enters the burning mill in search of Catherine ("She's still my wife!").

Yet another variation of it appears in Episode 17, when Catherine tells Truman about the night she disappeared and her gardian angel (with some Lynchian wind sound coursing underneath), in Episode 18, when Hawk tells Cooper about The White Lodge (also with wind), and in Episode 21, when the spectral image of Caroline accompanies Cooper's telling Truman about the night Windom Earle struck in Philadelphia.

And again, in Episode 16, another variation shows up when Donna reads Laura's last diary entry to Cooper.

Not yet released."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I've always called this track "Beginnings & Endings" after the line in Andrew's toast with Josie.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

And I will be calling them "Laura Palmer's Theme (xyz)" ;-)

And I will not call mixed tracks ("Mady's Gone", "Laying It All Out" etc.) with new names. There are so many isolated motifs mixed in so many ways... I want a list of original tracks used in a series, to know what was used (+ a list of mixes).

By the way I don't believe that those mixes exist in the archive. Most of them was created while scoring the series. Recreated "Nostalgia" I think was an exception in those releases. I REALLY want they release all original tracks first. the mixed versions I suppose must be recreated, and it needs time. Of course the best scenario would be bundles: mixed + isolated tracks (like they did with "Nostalgia").
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:By the way I don't believe that those mixes exist in the archive. Most of them was created while scoring the series. Recreated "Nostalgia" I think was an exception in those releases. I REALLY want they release all original tracks first. the mixed versions I suppose must be recreated, and it needs time. Of course the best scenario would be bundles: mixed + isolated tracks (like they did with "Nostalgia").
I agree that the tracks as they appear mixed together, etc probably don't exist in the archives, and were only done when creating the individual soundtracks for the episodes.
I DO think/agree that they (dl.com) recreated the "Nostalgia" mix just because there was a high demand for it. I'm sure there would be a way to pull the actual soundtrack from the track made for the episodes. But they may not have access to those. So we will probably get the Alternate Version of "Audrey's Prayer" heard when Audrey says goodbye to Cooper, but not the mixed version of it heard during Leland's wake.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:I'm sure there would be a way to pull the actual soundtrack from the track made for the episodes. But they may not have access to those.
Agree. I don't believe they had access to those tracks - probably CBS get the rights to them.
Ross wrote:So we will probably get the Alternate Version of "Audrey's Prayer" heard when Audrey says goodbye to Cooper, but not the mixed version of it heard during Leland's wake.
That's enough for me. I prefer original version without annoying percussion. But please DL.com add at least solo percussion track to the bundle. :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:That's enough for me. I prefer original version without annoying percussion. But please DL.com add at least solo percussion track to the bundle. :)
Agree. And agree!
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Ross wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:That's enough for me. I prefer original version without annoying percussion. But please DL.com add at least solo percussion track to the bundle. :)
Agree. And agree!
I myself really hope we get a clean version "Leland's Wake", because it's such a unique-sounding version of Audrey's Prayer - such a mournful yet hopeful rendition of it.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I updated list up to episode 19. Last 10 to go - next week.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote:I updated list up to episode 19. Last 10 to go - next week.
Nice work. I mean, I went through all the episodes for my guide, but this is painstaking and taking it to a whole new level.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:-- Josie's Fate: This soft, synthesizer version of the Laura Palmer theme becomes the dominant musical identity of Episode 23, as Josie's fortunes turn progressively worse, but it makes its first appearance in this episode, in the early scene between James and Donna in the Double R. Also plays in Episode 17, where it is preceded by that signature Lynch wind sound, as Catherine tells Truman about her guardian angel and the night the mill burned, and in Episode 21, when Cooper tells Truman about Caroline's death and the spectral image of Caroline appears above Cooper.

In Episode 18, it underscores Hawk's telling Cooper about The White Lodge, again with wind sound playing underneath. In Episode 23, it plays many times, as when Cooper visits Josie again to urge her to confess, when Andrew entreats Josie to confront Eckhardt (with the Black Lodge Rumble mixed in subtly, anticipating her fate at the hand of Bob)
That's not exactly how it is ;-)

There are 4 main 'variations' of this 'version' (and first of them have two 'parts').

1. First we hear this 'version' in ep. 7 (yes!) when Pete runs into the burning mill. This 'variation' have lower sound and is in two separated "parts" - the first one is only main theme (and was never used I think), and the other one (used in ep. 7) which have main part very short but have other darker part (that's what was used in episode). This tracks are different tracks, not one divided in two.

2. The most used 'variation' is used in ep. 16 (the ring scene mentioned above), in ep. 23 with Josie scenes, and in ep. 18 (in half-speed) when Hawk tells about Black and White Lodge.

3. The third 'variation' was used in ep. 18 when Catherine tells Harry her story after the mill burn. This one is similar to 'variation' 2 but have stronger accords.

4. And the fourth 'variation' was used in ep. 16 when Donna and Cooper comes to Ms Tremont (in 'Laura Last Stand'/'Letter from Harold').
I was just checking the Catherine scene again. And it sounds to me that the version heard there is actually version number one (the one with only the main theme), whereas number three is the Caroline version.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:I was just checking the Catherine scene again. And it sounds to me that the version heard there is actually version number one (the one with only the main theme), whereas number three is the Caroline version.
No. It's different. Compare to you-know-what ;-)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:
Ross wrote:I was just checking the Catherine scene again. And it sounds to me that the version heard there is actually version number one (the one with only the main theme), whereas number three is the Caroline version.
I think the Catherine scene (episode 18), and the Caroline scene (episode 21) are two different versions.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

It's the Double R tunes all over again! ;)

I've amended my entry for Josie's Fate as follows:

"-- Josie's Fate: The Laura Palmer Theme gets the most experimentation of all the musical themes in the show, so much so that it sometimes spawns a whole subsection containing similar and yet slightly different variations. One group comes under the banner of what I'm calling Josie's Fate, so called because arguably its most well-known variation becomes the dominant musical identity of Episode 23, in scenes that depict the declining prospects of Josie. (This same variation is played in Episode 16, when James gives Donna a ring).

In this episode, Episode 7, another string of Josie's Variation appears as Pete anxiously enters the burning mill in search of Catherine ("She's still my wife!").

Yet another variation of it appears in Episode 17, when Catherine tells Truman about the night she disappeared and her gardian angel (with some Lynchian wind sound coursing underneath) and in Episode 18, when Hawk tells Cooper about The White Lodge (also with wind).

Still another variation pops up in Episode 21, when the spectral image of Caroline accompanies Cooper's telling Truman about the night Windom Earle struck in Philadelphia.

And again, in Episode 16, another variation shows up when Donna reads Laura's last diary entry to Cooper."
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
I think the Catherine scene (episode 18), and the Caroline scene (episode 21) are two different versions.
I listened it again... and you're right! My mistake :oops:
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I updated list with released songs.