Mixcloud - Extended Twin Peaks

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Mixcloud - Extended Twin Peaks

Post by counterpaul »

Hi all,

I've been reading this board for years and I've never posted. Since the TP Archive has come out, though, I've made a bunch of remixes for my own listening enjoyment and I've decided to share a few of them. I put them up on Mixcloud here:

http://www.mixcloud.com/COUNTERpaul/twi ... ded-mixes/

These were created mostly to transform selections that can feel, as released, somewhat fragmentary into continuous songs. Others were just done for fun. These are my own mixes and are not meant to recreate mixes heard in the series, but to provide fodder for a sort of re-imagined ultimate Twin Peaks Soundtrack.

1. She Would Die For Love (Extended Mix) [11:50]
This combines the original FWWM Theme with the saxophone version and "She Would Die For Love" from Julee Cruise's "Voice of Love" album.

It's structured as follows:
- the sax intro (as in the film's credits)
- the first 3 minutes or so of the original
- the first two verses of "She Would Die For Love"
- sax solo
- final verse of "She Would Die For Love"
- trumpet solo
- final 2 minutes combine trumpet and sax

It all combines rather beautifully to my ears. I listen to this version all the time.

2. The Thread Will Be Torn (Slow Speed FWWM Mix) [12:03]
This is my own creation, intended as a way to transform the separate fragments of the dark, slow-speed FWWM material into one continuous, listenable piece.

There's a lot of mixing going on but it basically works like this:
- first 1:40 of the clean "Mysterioso #2"
- that transitions seamlessly into "Mysterioso #2 (Film Version)"
- near the end of "Mysterioso #2 (Film Version)" the real mixing begins with "Philip Jeffries," "It's Your Father," "Laura Visits Harold," and "Wash Your Hands" transitioning in and out as it seemed to make sense to me

I love how this turned out. The transitions ended up much smoother than I thought they'd ever be and, to me, it really hangs together as one piece. Now, there is of course missing FWWM slow-speed material (nothing from "You Killed Mike" or "Behind the Mask" for example -- "Theresa's Autopsy" and "Back To Fat Trout" were disqualified because they're basically reworked versions of "Unease Motif" and "24 Hours")--I focused on making something that held together rather than something complete.

3. Audrey's Prayer (Clarinet & Strings) [4:46]
This combines the original "Audrey's Prayer" with the Clarinet version. The original version had to be pitch-shifted to match the clarinet. I also extended it to give it the structure I always hear in my head when I think of this song.

4. Bookhouse Boys (Remix) [4:40]
This combines the solo guitar version and an edit of the full version (which is just a little too long for me) to make a single representation of the two sides of this theme.

5. Sneaky Audrey's Investigation [2:53]
This is exactly what it sounds like it would be: a combo of "Sneaky Audrey" and "Audrey's Investigation."

6. Pinky's Bubble Egg (The Twins Spoke) [3:14]
7. Rockin' Back Inside My Heart (Industrial Symphony Mix) [6:41]

These two don't really go with the overall theme but I threw them in anyway. "Pinky's Bubble Egg" is straight from the Industrial Symphony DVD (with a little EQ to tame the high end a bit). "Rockin' Back Inside My Heart" is a remix, combining the high-quality version from "Floating Into the Night" with sound effects from Industrial Symphony to recreate the IS ending to this song. Basically, when it gets to "…the wind blew out ahead," I can't help but hear the wind fade in and it drives me crazy every time I hear the quick fade-out of the album version so I made this. To me "…I thought our love would last… for… ever" SHOULD lead to an industrial soundscape. So here it does.

8. The One Armed Man & Jean Renault (Solo Clarinet Mix) [4:57]
This is my own mix of "One Armed Man's Theme" and "Jean Renault's Theme." Improvising with the two solos, I found a spot to start the bass clarinet so that the two instruments seem to be responding to one another throughout the piece. I really dig this mix.

9. Grady's Waltz of the Dream Man [2:08]
This is a mix of "Dance of the Dream Man (Solo Sax)" and "Solo Percussion 2 (Grady's Waltz)."

10. Half Speed Orchestra 1 (Full) [2:37]
"Stair Music" from the Archive mixed with an extraction of the ending section.

11. Half Speed Orchestras 2-7 (Mix) [9:18]
This is a mix of the rest of the Half Speed orchestras to make one uber-track. The mix here isn't as totally successful as the FWWM slow-speed mix but I think it works pretty well--sometimes very well.

12. Falling Into Love Theme (Solo Piano Remix) [2:34]
This is just for fun. It combines the solo piano version of "Theme From Twin Peaks" and the solo piano version of "Laura's Theme" to recreate the "Falling Into Love Theme" demo, but for solo piano.

All this material from the Archive has really gotten my remixing juices flowing, and I hope some of you enjoy these as well.
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Mixcloud - Extended Twin Peaks

Post by Ross »

Listening now! Great so far. As you know, I've had great fun creating my own stuff as well.

I love the Audrey's prayer mix. Do you remember what you pitch-shifted the original to? I tried to do something similar a while back, but couldn't get it to match.

Anyway, thanks for the mix! always fun to hear hear more people's mixes!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Ross wrote:Listening now! Great so far. As you know, I've had great fun creating my own stuff as well.

I love the Audrey's prayer mix. Do you remember what you pitch-shifted the original to? I tried to do something similar a while back, but couldn't get it to match.
Thanks for the kind words! Your stuff is incredible and has definitely been an inspiration.

I raised the original Audrey's Prayer 4 semitones to match the clarinet. There are also a number of edits and stretches to both the strings and the clarinet/synth tracks during the solo as obviously they were not rhythmically in sync at all.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear any other thoughts. Enjoy!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Thanks again! Great job. :D
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/