TP Season 1 & FWWM soundtracks set for new vinyl reissues

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: TP Season 1 & FWWM soundtracks set for new vinyl reissues

Post by guildnavigator »

Mb3 wrote:I've always been wondering, why did they include the song Sycamore trees from the last episode of the Series on the FWWM soundtrack ? Does anyone know if there's any specific reason for it ?

For one thing the season two soundtrack didn't come out until over a decade later, so the FWWM soundtrack was the first place to include the track (which must have been more expensive to record than some of the others, considering that they hired Ron Carter and Jimmy Smith)

Also parts of the song play towards the end of the film when Leland enters the red room.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Thanks for your help guildnavigator. It's been quite a while since I watched the movie for the last time, probably two years. So I think it's time to watch it again soon before the new season will start.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

If Rhino's cheaper self release is pressed over at Record Industry in Europe like other releases lately, it begs the question: why administer the rights to a place that's gonna release a premium product pressed at a less-than-premium pressing facility? The Mind boggles. :lol:
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Gah, the idea of a whole other re-master (esp. if there's one for FWWM too!) is giving me a headache :D

At the same time, if people are saying it's great quality/better than the Death Waltz, when it comes out then I might check it out... I like my DW editions just fine though, particularly FWWM which really does sound lovely.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It's getting expensive around here.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

I was always worried about the Mondo/Death Waltz merger, and my fears have unfortunately been confirmed. I recall when Death Waltz were touting both these TP releases for 2014. Death Waltz should not have linked-up with "hipster" Mondo - original Death Waltz was ALWAYS superior to Mondo. If DW had released these as a stand alone company they would've been better releases. Shame, but money talks.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

The single edition of the series soundtrack will likely be the same cut Death Waltz used, and if it's pressed at a better place it'll be the one to get. If FWWM is indeed 1 disc, that means it's a different cut but it could sound just as good. The only problem with what DW gave us was the pressing place; if both masters got a chance to have been made somewhere else they'd be perfect.

Something to know: Warner is Rhino, Warner administers the rights to the music and controls what and where something gets released, and Death Waltz is a subsidiary of Warner just like Rhino. I mention this because all these different "arms" of Warner, Rhino included, have had a habit of having their releases pressed at the-place-that-sha'nt-be-named-again yet Rhino themselves have backed off recently due to customer complaints. Their higher end releases have been pressed over in Europe, a couple of which I can vouch for as far as pressings go. If FWWM is indeed 1 disc it'll be a shame they'd cut a corner there because the 2 disc cut deserves a better pressing.
MT Wentz

Post by MT Wentz »

Death Waltz also managed two spelling errors on the record labels. Considering they're a label that is obsessed with aesthetic, you'd think they'd maybe have a proofreader to at least do a spellcheck.

Plus, the finished products just looked, well, a bit shit.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

MT Wentz wrote:Death Waltz also managed two spelling errors on the record labels. Considering they're a label that is obsessed with aesthetic, you'd think they'd maybe have a proofreader to at least do a spellcheck.

Plus, the finished products just looked, well, a bit shit.
spelling errors aside, I think FWWM's look is best out of the both. I can't believe they approved the series' clown diarrhea "coffee" record though. :lol:
MT Wentz

Post by MT Wentz »

I agree that the FWWM looked the better of the two, but I'm really pleased that there's been a re-press with the original artwork (for like half the RRP too!)
MT Wentz

Post by MT Wentz »

My copy arrived this morning, looks exactly like the original pressing which is cool!
Attachments
Back Cover.jpg
Back Cover.jpg (246.13 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Front Cover.jpg
Front Cover.jpg (274.28 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
MT Wentz

Post by MT Wentz »

Inlays and records
Attachments
Side 1.jpg
Side 1.jpg (221.79 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Side 2.jpg
Side 2.jpg (210.8 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Inlay 1.jpg
Inlay 1.jpg (373.77 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Inlay 2.jpg
Inlay 2.jpg (207.16 KiB) Viewed 22045 times
Pölkkyrouva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Pölkkyrouva »

Just bought the Rhino reissue of the series soundtrack for 20 euros. The sound quality is terrific and especially Julee Cruise sounds better than ever. I also love the original artwork, even though it's quite dated with character pictures and names.
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole