Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks 33 1/3 (Book)

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks 33 1/3 (Book)

Post by Jerry Horne »

Release date: 2/9/17

http://www.amazon.com/Angelo-Badalament ... 1_1&sr=8-1

When Twin Peaks first aired on ABC in April 1990 to a viewership of thirty-five million, it became an instant cult sensation that has since gone on to inspire and intrigue subsequent generations of viewers. Centered on an eccentric, coffee-loving FBI agent's investigation into the murder of small town teen queen, it was a show with absurdist tendencies and somehow managed to make surrealism mainstream. At the helm of cult film director David Lynch it proved to be the perfect manifestation of the "Lynchian" worldview: that in the heart of what is innocent and pure there often lies great darkness.

Key to Twin Peaks' success was an unforgettable soundtrack by Angelo Badalamenti, a frequent and reoccurring collaborator within the David Lynch universe. Badalamenti's evocative music, with its percussive jazz instrumentation and romantic synthesizer layering, served as a constant in a narrative that was consistently unhinged and went on to sell over two million copies worldwide.

How did a unique collaborative process result in a perfectly post-modern soundtrack that ran the gamut of musical genres from jazz to dream pop and beyond? And how did Badalamenti's musical cues work with Lynch's visuals for Twin Peaks; constantly evolving and having the ability to break with television convention, unnerving and eliciting unexpected responses in its audience? Under the guidance of Angelo Badalamenti's diverse sonic palette, Clare Nina Norelli delves deep into the Lynchian underworld answering all these questions and more.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 8.52.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 8.52.47 AM.png (109.88 KiB) Viewed 16631 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks 33 1/3 (Book)

Post by hopesfall »

Thanks for the heads up, Jerry. This looks like it'll be my kind of book!
Jam Burglar

Post by Jam Burglar »

These 33 1/3 series are really good. I have the ones for DJ Shadow Entroducing and Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique and they are both fantastic.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

this could be interesting... i have probably read 10 of these books and the style of them are very varied; some of them are fantastic with loads of background info and analysis while some are pretty shallow in execution. the ones for Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation..." and J Dilla's "Donuts" are probably the best i've read so far. will be interesting to see how this one is done.

i prefer the FWWM soundtrack even more, but the original is of course great as well!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great book! If you have any interest in the music from TP, I would get it.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Jerry Horne wrote:Great book! If you have any interest in the music from TP, I would get it.
Praise indeed. I'm actually running out of room on my bookshelf, I think I need to take some down the charity shop. So I might just get the kindle edition later. I can start reading on my lunch break then too!