Music From The New Series

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Music From The New Series

Post by Gabriel »

Best thing from my perspective is that I've started mining the Italians Do It Better catalogue. Picked up an album on iTunes called 'Music to Drive,' released under Johnny Jewel's name, which is an 80 minute compilation of IDIB, featuring Chromatics, Desire, Symmetry and Glass Candy. Terrific to listen to and a great sampler to push you into exploring further.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Links in the first post.
Attachments
twinpeaks-musicfrom-indie_1800x.jpg
twinpeaks-musicfrom-indie_1800x.jpg (100.98 KiB) Viewed 11639 times
twinpeaks-limitedevent-indie_1800x.jpg
twinpeaks-limitedevent-indie_1800x.jpg (134.31 KiB) Viewed 11639 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I beg Rhino: don't shove these off on Rainbo Records after Death Waltz did it with the others. I beg.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Jerry, I love those! Are they for sale already??
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Annie wrote:Jerry, I love those! Are they for sale already??
Not yet. See the first post in this thread.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

claaa7 wrote:anyone know what composition "Night" is or when it was heard?
Could that be the track that plays when the boy gets run over? I know the title would be misleading but it's all I can think of and I want that track.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mystery Roach wrote:
claaa7 wrote:anyone know what composition "Night" is or when it was heard?
Could that be the track that plays when the boy gets run over? I know the title would be misleading but it's all I can think of and I want that track.
that one is the "Accident / Farewell Theme", it was also played when Cooper said farewell to Janey-E and Sonny Jim
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

claaa7 wrote:that one is the "Accident / Farewell Theme", it was also played when Cooper said farewell to Janey-E and Sonny Jim
Ooooooohhhhhh duh. For some strange reason I kept overlooking that one, thinking it was an old track. That makes a lot more sense.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i'm guessing the final song that ran over the end credits in ep. 18 might be the Badalamenti composition "Night".. were there any other new Badalamenti in 17/18 that you noticed?

also which soundtrack are you all buying, or are you getting both (or none)? i'm looking for the one with the score, but will possibly pick up both
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

claaa7 wrote:i'm guessing the final song that ran over the end credits in ep. 18 might be the Badalamenti composition "Night".. were there any other new Badalamenti in 17/18 that you noticed?

also which soundtrack are you all buying, or are you getting both (or none)? i'm looking for the one with the score, but will possibly pick up both
I've pre-ordered both.

I found the score on the final credits very meditative and soothing, albeit darkly mysterious.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:
claaa7 wrote:i'm guessing the final song that ran over the end credits in ep. 18 might be the Badalamenti composition "Night".. were there any other new Badalamenti in 17/18 that you noticed?

I've pre-ordered both.

I found the score on the final credits very meditative and soothing, albeit darkly mysterious.
i really liked it as well, darkly mysterious is a fitting word.. it also felt right at home in The Return, similiar in style and orchestration to Angelo's other compositions in the series. i think he has brought some mesmerizing themes this time but i would have loved to hear at least a few themes with an orchestra or even just a quartet.. all his work are synthesizers here.. i wonder if Lynch decided to do that on the basis of budget? i know, i know, the VFX and all that was not about budget but we have to realize that all series and films do have budget constraints and cutting back on costs to realize a true vision is a must..

the tracklist for the soundtracks have been revelaed:

on the Score soundtrack "Audrey's Dance" and new Badalamenti "Dark Place Low" has been added, and on the other one the tracks by Lizzie, The Veils, ZZ Top, Eddie Vedder and the live track from Otis Redding (love that one). as Hawk would say, "there's still one missing" however (track 20 has not been revealed yet)

i'm having a hard time deciding if i want to get this on CD or 2xLP
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Post by Guy Quenneville »

I think the final song that ran over the credits might be, appropriately, the last track on the score album, "Dark Space Low" -- the length of it seems to fit -- whereas I think "Night" might be the cue that played under the scene of Ray and Mr. C driving at the start of Part 8.

Unless I'm wrong and that cue was also done by Dean Hurley and "Night" is something else. I guess we'll find out Friday.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Post by Guy Quenneville »

The only other track I'm wondering about is Thought Gang's "Headless Chicken." What scene in what part did that play in?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

claaa7 wrote: i wonder if Lynch decided to do that on the basis of budget? i know, i know, the VFX and all that was not about budget but we have to realize that all series and films do have budget constraints and cutting back on costs to realize a true vision is a must..
It's as obvious a stylistic choice as the VFX my dude. I find it a little sad how much people around here and elsewhere immediately jump on budget when something is different than expected. This is synthesized music here, TONS of music is still performed and produced this way. Modern dark ambient music has deep roots in electronics and synths; questioning the budget simply for this choice ignores the fact of its history. There's a specific stripped-back mood Lynch/Frost went for this time and I think that's why we didn't see a whole lot of Badalamenti nor live orchestrated performances of his material; it simply didn't fit what they were going for.