Who played bass on Season 1 OST?

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Who played bass on Season 1 OST?

Post by claaa7 »

I'm a big fan of the legendary jazz bass player Buster Williams, who was amongst other things the bassist with Herbie Hancock's excellent sextet (sometimes known as the Mwandishi band) between 1968-1973. I know that Williams is the credit bassist on the Season 2 soundtrack as well as the majority of the FWMM soundtrack. I've noticed that the Season 1 soundtrack (including the new 2xLP reissue and various promo materials) credits all musicians on the S1 OST strangely enough for all EXCEPT the bassist. Of course on tracks like "Theme"; "Laura Palmer's Theme" and the Julee Cruise songs, the bass is produced on a synthesizer by Badalamenti and Kimmy Landrum but there's several great themes on both the albums and in the series that definitely makes prominent use of the accoustic / stand up bass. it's acutally a large part of the soundscape of Season 1, just listen to "Audrey's Dance" or "Dance of the Dream" man and listern to the interplay between Grrady Tate, (?) Buster Williams (?) and Al Reigni's sax and flute work.

It seems that its a miss that the bassist wasn't credited and i have my money on it being Buster, but since there's really no solo space it's hard to be sure - it also should be noted that Rufus Reid played bass on two songs on FWMM and Ron Carter played on the Jimmy Scott track (although Kinny Landrum said in an interview that the bassist on that song is Buster Williams).. hmmmmm.

anyone know for sure? thanks in advance!
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: Who played bass on Season 1 OST?

Post by guildnavigator »

Isn't the bass on those two songs just an upright bass patch/sample played on a keyboard by Landrum? The bass on those songs doesn't sound like an actual acoustic upright bass at all to my ears.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Hmm i dont have the record or Dvds with me to check but the upright bass sound on a few of those legendary scores always sounded completely organic and authentic to me. There are pieces on there where landrum plays the bass notes on synth but that is very noticeable and different imo.. Ill recheck tonight but it sounds as real as all the songs buster played on S2 to me
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.47.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.47.59 AM.png (69.88 KiB) Viewed 19909 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jam Burglar

Post by Jam Burglar »

I'm a huge Ron Carter fan. If you look at the credits on the Season 2 soundtrack, the bass credits go to Buster Williams and Ron Carter (except "Blue Frank", guitar by David Jaurequi). Since Sycamore Trees is not on the Season 2 soundtrack I suppose Ron Carter played on more tracks than just that one.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Jerry Horne wrote:From my interview with Eddy Dixon:

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
thanks Jerry, i read that interview before... he is talking about the "Twin Peaks Theme" (and "Falling") and as i said in my initial post, that, "Laura Palmer's Theme" and a few others don't use the accoustic bass that about 4-5 songs on the CD/LP does. i have quite good ears for catching instruments, and since i love jazz bass i am certain that it's a real accoustic stand-up basss being played organically on songs like "Dance Of The Dream Man"

Jam Burglar wrote: I'm a huge Ron Carter fan. If you look at the credits on the Season 2 soundtrack, the bass credits go to Buster Williams and Ron Carter (except "Blue Frank", guitar by David Jaurequi). Since Sycamore Trees is not on the Season 2 soundtrack I suppose Ron Carter played on more tracks than just that one.
great to see that there's another jazz head in here :) i'm a huge fan of Ron Carter as well.. the Season 2 credits suprised me as well, but if i remember correctly they read like BOTH Ron and Buster played on all songs together (except for "Blue Frank") as in either or is playing. if i remember correctly there is no single song featuring two basses. my guess is that Ron Carter only played on "Sygamocre Trees" and maybe a couple of others from the same session but mygut says it uster Williams who was in Angelo Badalamaneti's "stable" at the time so to speak.

i wonder if he is also the one performing on the "On the Air" theme song?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Oops - gotcha. You know, it seems to me that an in depth documentary on Badalamenti is WAY overdue.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I too am a huge Ron Carter fan, especially for his work on the first two Airto albums with Sivuca, Hermeto and Flora Purim.

I pulled out the FWWM CD and noticed that it has credits for each track, and Carter only gets a credit on Sycamore Trees. I too wonder what other cues he may have played on.

Buster Williams is no stranger to Ron Carter, nor to playing on recordings with him - he actually played bass on a Ron Carter album called Peg Leg (Carter is playing piccolo bass for a good portion of the record while Williams plays upright accompanying him).

I pulled out the Season One soundtrack CD and there is no credit for an acoustic bassist. I listened again and it still sounds like a patch to me, I'll have to try and ask Kinny if he has any more information.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1KASUsJecOM

Here's the isolated bass from dance of the dream man, from the Twin Peaks archive release. When you hear it by itself, it's very clearly not an acoustic bass.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

ha! you are right.. i guess i've been to focused on the visuals to really notice. thanks for clearing that up