Page 1 of 3

The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm
by bobsbluedream
Hi everyone, apologies in advance for Albert and if this has already been discussed. Has anyone been keeping track of all the background/incidental soundtrack music in The Return? I'm trying to compile a complete list of music that featured in the new show. Specifically, music that is not included on either Dean Hurley's Anthology Resource collection or either of the 2 new Twin Peaks soundtracks. For example, there were a number of tunes from the Twin Peaks Archives. Here's a handful of examples I found:

-Half Speed Orchestra 4
-Laura Visits Harold
-Windom Earle's Motif (Halfspeed Orchestra 3)
-Half Speed Orchestra 1 (Stair music/Danger theme)
-The Air is on Fire VII
-Abstract Mood

Have I missed anything?

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm
by Mr. Reindeer
Stuff that was listed in the credits but isn't on the albums:

Lynch & Hurley (not sure if any of these are on the Hurley album under a different title, haven't bought it yet):
"Sub Dream" (Parts 1, 17)
"Dream Recall" (Part 3)

Thought Gang (Lynch/Badalamenti):
"Frank 2000" (Parts 1, 5, 11)
"Summer Night" (Part 15)

Johnny Jewel:
"The Flame" (Part 5)
"Slow Dreams" (Part 10)

Hudson Mohawke:
"Human" (Part 9)

Harry Dean Stanton/Carl Rodd:
"Red River Valley" (Part 10)

Other:
Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Swans" from SWAN LAKE (performer unknown, label Bobkind)

Preexisting tracks:
"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck Quartet (Part 4)
"Stars and Stripes Forever" by US Army Band (Parts 5, 12)
"Habit" by Unicorn (Part 5) (note: I can't find any reference to this band online, even when searching in relation with the credited label, Sacred Bones Records)
"Tabloid" by Unicorn (Part 5) (see above)
"Sleepwalk" by Santo & Johnny (Part 7)
"America the Beautiful" by the US Air Force Band (Part 9)
"A Violent Yet Flammable World" by Au Revoir Simone (Part 9)
"Charmaine" by Mantovani & His Orchestra (Part 10)

As a sidenote, I'm so sad that 1/3 of the score album is recycled tracks from the old show. It's nice that those pieces popped up in TR, but I own those tracks already. It feels like we're getting an incomplete album with a lot of padding.

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 pm
by claaa7
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Stuff that was listed in the credits but isn't on the albums:

Lynch & Hurley (not sure if any of these are on the Hurley album under a different title, haven't bought it yet):
"Sub Dream" (Parts 1, 17)
"Dream Recall" (Part 3)

Thought Gang (Lynch/Badalamenti):
"Frank 2000" (Parts 1, 5, 11)
"Summer Night" (Part 15)

As a sidenote, I'm so sad that 1/3 of the score album is recycled tracks from the old show. It's nice that those pieces popped up in TR, but I own those tracks already. It feels like we're getting an incomplete album with a lot of padding.



i guess "Dream Recall" is the score heard under the scene in the Mauve Room over Naidoo and Cooper's interaction.. that's some great sounding stuff.

i'm still really curious what the hell "Frank 2000" is.. i mean it's featured in three episodes for crying out loud! and i have no clue even which cue it might be? there was nothing in those episodes that sounded like what we know Thought Gang to be.. "Headless Chicken" i picked up right away and was pretty much sure what it was.

i kind of agree with your assessment of the soundtrack.. most people who are going to buy it will already have those songs before, so why not put "Slow '30s Room", "Sub Dream", the other Thought Gang songs on there instead? i guess they wanted as much Angelo as possible for the soundtrack. i'm still hyped for the release though, really hope the package will arrive today

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:35 am
by BGate
claaa7 wrote:i'm still really curious what the hell "Frank 2000" is.. i mean it's featured in three episodes for crying out loud! and i have no clue even which cue it might be? there was nothing in those episodes that sounded like what we know Thought Gang to be.


Yes! And now it's not on the soundtrack so in true TP fashion we'll probably never know, lol.

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 am
by SatisfactionJackson
Can anybody help me to find the track that is played through some scenes in the black lodge? I checked all 3 new soundtrack cds (including the one from hurley) but its not on it

The track i am searching for is also played through the "Las Vegas-Hee-loo-Scenes". Its a bit like the soundscape strings of Sycamoore trees piece from FFWM soundtrack

Its very central in season 3 but does appear neither on youtube nor on the soundtracks

Sorry for bad english, I am a non english nativ speaker---

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:53 am
by TweetPeak
Calling Ross dudle Twinpeakssoundtrackdesign

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:07 am
by claaa7
SatisfactionJackson wrote:Can anybody help me to find the track that is played through some scenes in the black lodge? I checked all 3 new soundtrack cds (including the one from hurley) but its not on it

The track i am searching for is also played through the "Las Vegas-Hee-loo-Scenes". Its a bit like the soundscape strings of Sycamoore trees piece from FFWM soundtrack

Its very central in season 3 but does appear neither on youtube nor on the soundtracks

Sorry for bad english, I am a non english nativ speaker---


you mean the guitar riff theme? i think that's from the latter part of the track "Dark Mood Woods / The Red Room" on the Season Two Music and More Soundtrack:

https://www.discogs.com/Angelo-Badalame ... se/1128939

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:10 am
by SatisfactionJackson
No. See post below

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 am
by SatisfactionJackson
I have uploaded it. This is from episode 4. Anyone?
https://soundcloud.com/cecil250/no23-re ... 017-121552

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 am
by trismegistus
bobsbluedream wrote:Hi everyone, apologies in advance for Albert and if this has already been discussed. Has anyone been keeping track of all the background/incidental soundtrack music in The Return? I'm trying to compile a complete list of music that featured in the new show. Specifically, music that is not included on either Dean Hurley's Anthology Resource collection or either of the 2 new Twin Peaks soundtracks. For example, there were a number of tunes from the Twin Peaks Archives. Here's a handful of examples I found:

-Half Speed Orchestra 4
-Laura Visits Harold
-Windom Earle's Motif (Halfspeed Orchestra 3)
-Half Speed Orchestra 1 (Stair music/Danger theme)
-The Air is on Fire VII
-Abstract Mood

Have I missed anything?


Could you possibly mention where each of these plays? Apart from The Air is on Fire VII I have no recollection of them and I'm trying to place them

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:05 am
by bobsbluedream
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Stuff that was listed in the credits but isn't on the albums:

Lynch & Hurley (not sure if any of these are on the Hurley album under a different title, haven't bought it yet):
"Sub Dream" (Parts 1, 17)
"Dream Recall" (Part 3)

Thought Gang (Lynch/Badalamenti):
"Frank 2000" (Parts 1, 5, 11)
"Summer Night" (Part 15)

Johnny Jewel:
"The Flame" (Part 5)
"Slow Dreams" (Part 10)

Hudson Mohawke:
"Human" (Part 9)

Harry Dean Stanton/Carl Rodd:
"Red River Valley" (Part 10)

Other:
Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Swans" from SWAN LAKE (performer unknown, label Bobkind)

Preexisting tracks:
"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck Quartet (Part 4)
"Stars and Stripes Forever" by US Army Band (Parts 5, 12)
"Habit" by Unicorn (Part 5) (note: I can't find any reference to this band online, even when searching in relation with the credited label, Sacred Bones Records)
"Tabloid" by Unicorn (Part 5) (see above)
"Sleepwalk" by Santo & Johnny (Part 7)
"America the Beautiful" by the US Air Force Band (Part 9)
"A Violent Yet Flammable World" by Au Revoir Simone (Part 9)
"Charmaine" by Mantovani & His Orchestra (Part 10)

As a sidenote, I'm so sad that 1/3 of the score album is recycled tracks from the old show. It's nice that those pieces popped up in TR, but I own those tracks already. It feels like we're getting an incomplete album with a lot of padding.


Thanks a million! I share your feelings on that. There's only like 6 new tracks from Angelo. Too bad we didn't get those unreleased Thought Gang tunes.

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 am
by asmahan
Also I don't think the remixed Moonlight Sonata ep (8, 17) was in the credits. I don't remember if Deer Meadow shuffle was.

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 pm
by IcedOver
I didn't even know that a Season 2 soundtrack was ever released. Guess I missed out on that. I like "Harold's Theme". Was the music that plays in Episode 14, when Shelly tells Norma she has to quit, on that album? That's a music cue I wouldn't have minded being reused in "Return", and to my recollection, it was never used again in the series.

Does anybody know what the music is playing during the Steven/Gersten woods scene?

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 pm
by Mystery Roach
I found this on youtube, although I haven't verified all of it yet. I used it to construct my complete playlist for the time being though. I'm sure it's not 100% perfect, but it's a good place to start.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT ... ZGjC4GghY2

Re: The Return Soundtrack - a complete track list?

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 am
by smokebelch
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Stuff that was listed in the credits but isn't on the albums:
"Habit" by Unicorn (Part 5) (note: I can't find any reference to this band online, even when searching in relation with the credited label, Sacred Bones Records)
"Tabloid" by Unicorn (Part 5) (see above)


It's UNIFORM ;)
Both tracks are from this album -
https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/prod ... -in-fright

Also this Johnny Jewel album has the tracks he did for the series that are not on the official soundtracks (along with other stuff that he wrote with TP in mind)- comes highly recommended -
https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Jewel-Wi ... e/10436812

Great interview here about his contribution to the series-
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/ ... hromatics/